Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connections to Analogue line

Options
  • 01-07-2009 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Came up with a query this morning. we have one analogue and recieve BB on that line. there are also two fax machine that use that line but it looks like the dialer falls over when connecting.

Could it be that the one connection that everything goes through cant take all 3 connections at once?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Heya,

I dont really understand your question? Can you re-phrase it? Have all machines got adsl filters on them? These filters can go faulty..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, not entirely sure what you're asking here. There may be/is probably a conflict between the fax machines. You can only have one fax machine using the line at a time. So if one fax machine is on a call when the other tries to dial out, it's likely that both will fall over. In addition, if you have both machines set to auto-answer, they'll fall over when both faxes pick up an incoming call and try to handshake. The DSL should (in a perfect world) not get involved at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

Ok,

May setup is one analogue line coming in.

I have a splitter on the analogue line - one ports for the DSL, one for the main FAX machine and another connection that is used as a dial out connection.

The dial out connection falls over when dialing out. on the PC I have a little FAX modem dailing the connection out to our bank and that connection goes over the analogue line - so I think this may be my problem - who to get this connection out without affecting the other connections.

Also I would like to put a credit card on this line aswell so I dont know how that will go down on the line

You have to have a filter on everything. you can not have a filter and then use one of those crappy 3 waty splitters, that wont work.

Your fax needs a filter
    Your dial out fax/phone needs a filter
    Your modem needs a filter.

The way I do this is I take a line out of the filter, I then terminate it on a krone strip and then daisy chain on the strip. This means every socket connected to the strip is filtered. You can only take 3-5 connections off before the line suffers.

Does this make sense??

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cat5

I think I know what our saying...:DTwo fax machines on one analogue line is not a good idea.. as they will just pick up each others cng tone..
    Seeing as how you have broadband why dont you make your fax virtual (only a fiver a month).. check it out www.blueface.ie
    To Temporarilly solve your problem unplug the fax machine when the pc is dialling out..
    Adding the credit card machine shouldn really matter unless its ulster bank machines as they are polled..

• Advertisement

I dont think the 2 faxes is the issue. As One is set to receive the other is for dialling out only. I think the issue is when the dial up modem (which might not have a filter) dials out it screws up the broadband. No need for virtual fax numbers in this kind of set up. Think about it:

Fax 1: incoming only
    Fax 2: outgoing only
    Modem: outgoing only
    Visa: outgoing only
    Broadband: Dont matter

This is a set up that is easlity done once you follow the basic rules!!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

Yes thanks guys.

I think FusionNet has it. I should take a line of the connection and terminate it on the Krone strip, that would be ideal for my 4 connections
    My credit card machine will be Ulster banks machine and as its one way also it shouldnt be an issue.

For the moment ill just plug out the connection I don't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cat5

You'll be back:D

No he wont because he has received the ultimate of IT advice here!! They never have to come back, we is the bomb!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

FusionNet wrote: »
    No he wont because he has received the ultimate of IT advice here!! They never have to come back, we is the bomb!! :P
    Don't oversell yourself.:eek:

Some of your info is less than accurate.

Each device on the line does NOT need to be indivually filtered.
    A line enters the building and is then split. The unfiltered side is for broadband and ALL devices on the filtered side is then filtered.

Perhaps a better quality filter is required.

• Advertisement

First of all it was a joke Fuzzy Clam, if you have been around this section of boards a lot you would know that we like to have the odd laugh amongst all the IT advice aswell.

And Im not sure what industry your in but you are not totally correct by saying:

"A line enters the building and is then split. The unfiltered side is for broadband and ALL devices on the filtered side is then filtered."

There are 2 ways a line can be filtered. One is by using the eircom socket that has the filter built into the faceplate. The other is to use a small external filter. If you read back over my post you see I have advised the two ways that this can be done. One where you filter each socket for voice or you can if you centrally connect all your sockets filter at one point using one filter and a krone strip etc. From your quote you are suggesting that you filter the master socket and after that every other socket does not need to be filtered. Thats not the case. I have wired up many many telco and network based systems and I have tried and tested all this.

And as for the "oversell yourself" no need for those comments. If you look back over my history of posts I only comment on what I know on and I leave the rest to the other professionals. Im not a know it all but what I know I know well and enjoy helping people out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I should have said "If a line enters.......etc". I wasn't being specific about how the connection is made. i.e. Eircom faceplate or whatever.
    My point is then correct. Anything after the 1 filter is then filtered. I was under the impression from your post #5 that a separate filter is required on each device. I see after re-reading the post that that is not what you meant. I think in fact that we're both saying the same thing, just worded different.

Yes and no, depending on the wiring you may indeed need a filter on every socket. It all depends if the sockets are terminated before the master filter or after. If they are terminated before the master socket filter then yes all of them need a single line filter. If termiated after the filter on a krone strip which takes its main feed from the filter then no you do not need a filter on all..

Advertisement