Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intruder alarm quote

Options
  • 01-07-2009 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just looking for some advice regarding a quote i received for an alarm installation. Had a guy out to the house and he advised on best system. It's a combination of some wireless window sensors and some motion sensors. THe house is already pre-wired for 4 motion sensors and front, back and french doors are pre-wired.

I was quoted €1700 (inc VAT & installation) for 5 wireles window sensors, the contact panels for the thress doors and 3 motion sensros. This quote includes €300 for a basic GSM unit for contacting the monitoring centre and €170 for a wireless received and dialler.

I've got a quote from Eircom also which seems to cover the same spec, i presume different brands for the materials, but this is coming in around the €800 mark.

These quotes seem poles apart, and while the Eircom phonewatch quote is based upon my requirements, i can't see that i've missed anythiong out.

Does this quote seem excessive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

If the house is already wired, to me it seems excessive.
    I got a quote for about €900 for a similiar set up. Prewired house, a couple of PIRS and two sensors for windows, GSM dialler etc. (I thought the PIRS would be grand on their own but apparently not)
    To be honest I thought €900 was a bit excessive when I seen the cost of the actual alarm system to buy.
    That said you can only put the alarm down for house insurance purposes if it is installed by a "registered" sparkie I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭El Camino

Ye the guy reckoned that the PIR's would do along with the contact sensorson the 3 doors but i prefer the extra security of knowing that the windows cannot be breached without the alarm going off. The wireless sensors appear to be the expensive element to the whokle thing.

10% saving on my home insusrance is not a significant amount so wouldn't be too worried about that at the moment.

I'm going to get another quote from local installer but am curious to see what other options i have... I suppose i could buy the equipment myself and have it installed by a mate, but there's nothing like having the expert do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

El Camino wrote: »
    I suppose i could buy the equipment myself and have it installed by a mate, but there's nothing like having the expert do it.

You may need to watch that btw as it is not by the books, I'd stick to finding the best value PSA licensed contractor if I was you, you might have a legal issue with your mate doing it. There are DIY kits that you can put up, you wont get the insurance discount, they are not as good as most of the systems contractors install, they will do a job and are less expensive to buy, but that's your own call, best of luck getting a good quote.

Stoner wrote: »
    You may need to watch that btw as it is not by the books, I'd stick to finding the best value PSA licensed contractor if I was you, you might have a legal issue with your mate doing it. There are DIY kits that you can put up, you wont get the insurance discount, they are not as good as most of the systems contractors install, they will do a job and are less expensive to buy, but that's your own call, best of luck getting a good quote.

Really!! On what basis - I presume you are referring to claiming a home insurance discount. I can't see a legal issue with one of my mates who is a qualified electrician installing the equipment. Could that still be hooked up to a monitoring centre or would they accept it if not installed by fully certified individual?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Really!! On what basis - I presume you are referring to claiming a home insurance discount. I can't see a legal issue with one of my mates who is a qualified electrician installing the equipment. Could that still be hooked up to a monitoring centre or would they accept it if not installed by fully certified individual?

It's a contentious issue here BTH, and there is a note in the charter about the use of unlicensed installers, being a qualified electrician does not mean your friend can supply, install and certify alarms. Monitoring stations will charge you a fee and hook you up up to their service regardless of your certification status, it just depends on the hardware/dialer you have on the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

i had an Aritec system installed in a prewired house for 800, 1 PIR all windows and doors fitted with sensors and 2 keypads front and back. no gsm dialler etc. its a big house and eircom quoted 2400 for install alone. i put in a 6 camera cctv system as well which cost 1400. where i am in the country the response time of eircom and the gardai would be such that the house would be empty by the time anyone got there so just looking to deter

Ok good to know. I wasn't aware it was such an issue. As i said I'd prefer to go with the certified individual and keep it all above board. I'll just try and get another quote and see what i can do on price.

Thanks

Skillie wrote: »
    i had an Aritec system installed in a prewired house for 800, 1 PIR all windows and doors fitted with sensors and 2 keypads front and back. no gsm dialler etc. its a big house and eircom quoted 2400 for install alone. i put in a 6 camera cctv system as well which cost 1400. where i am in the country the response time of eircom and the gardai would be such that the house would be empty by the time anyone got there so just looking to deter

Skillie, that seems like a great deal in comparison to the previous quote that you received. I'm based in the midlands. Anyone have any recommendations for a supplier?

Skillie, that seems like a great deal in comparison to the previous quote that you received. I'm based in the midlands. Anyone have any recommendations for a supplier?

ya there was big prices being asked for cctv systems installed but i bought the kit from the uk and installed myself. have to say its the best thing i've done because i have peace of mind when i come home i can see if anyones been around in a couple of mins by checking the log. it registers movement and sets up an alarm list so be it nosey neighbours, postman, rabbits or your local burglar you know who'd stopped by. also handy for knowing if tradesmen have turned up or not when they say they have and couldn't find the key!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

1700 seems a bit excessive. Get a few more quotes and make sure you are comparing like with like.
    PM me if you want a quote or let me know where you are based and I could recommend a licensed contractor to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Skillie wrote: »
    ya there was big prices being asked for cctv systems installed but i bought the kit from the uk and installed myself. have to say its the best thing i've done because i have peace of mind when i come home i can see if anyones been around in a couple of mins by checking the log. it registers movement and sets up an alarm list so be it nosey neighbours, postman, rabbits or your local burglar you know who'd stopped by. also handy for knowing if tradesmen have turned up or not when they say they have and couldn't find the key!!

Can you point me at where you got the cctv equipment?

jamesd wrote: »
    Can you point me at where you got the cctv equipment?

http://www.cctvdirect.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi,

I'm just looking for some advice regarding a quote i received for an alarm installation. Had a guy out to the house and he advised on best system. It's a combination of some wireless window sensors and some motion sensors. THe house is already pre-wired for 4 motion sensors and front, back and french doors are pre-wired.

I was quoted €1700 (inc VAT & installation) for 5 wireles window sensors, the contact panels for the thress doors and 3 motion sensros. This quote includes €300 for a basic GSM unit for contacting the monitoring centre and €170 for a wireless received and dialler.

I've got a quote from Eircom also which seems to cover the same spec, i presume different brands for the materials, but this is coming in around the €800 mark.

These quotes seem poles apart, and while the Eircom phonewatch quote is based upon my requirements, i can't see that i've missed anythiong out.

Does this quote seem excessive?

€1700 that is alot, where do you live ?

I'm in Laois...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 muntec.ie

Sure, pricing around is always a good idea. Standards are set and one need's to be compliant to avoid prosecution from Private Security Authority. :cool:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Zombie thread

@ Muntec.ie the Home Security Systems Forum may interest you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement