Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long should it take for a battery to recharge

• 01-07-2009 9:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Morning all...

I'm back driving my old car just to keep it "alive" so to speak. The battery was completely flat so I jump started it off my girlfriend's car.

However the bloody thing kept conking out at junctions. Luckily we'd gone for a drive in the country to resurrect the old dear, but I kept on having to get jump started.

Now between today and yesterday, I've done around 60 miles, and the thing still needs a jump start. I haven't been using any of the electrics (apart from the wipers; needs must and all that...)

Any idea how long more I'm going to have to put up with getting jump starts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

How long was the car idle?
    The battery may just be beyond charging..

Maybe check the voltage on the battery terminals with a multimeter when the car is and isn't running, to make sure the alternator is working although it sounds fine since you are able to use your wipers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

60 miles should be enough. I'd say it's goosed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Redisle wrote: »
    How long was the car idle?

About two months, IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Check the voltage after a run to see if it's getting a charge, if not then it sounds like its not charging (slack aux belt) or unable to hold a charge (needs to be refilled or cells are stuffed). Is the battery 'pregnant' (bulging)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

macroman wrote: »
    Is the battery 'pregnant' (bulging)?

Thanks macroman... no, it looks perfectly normal from outside (everything is at right angles!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement