Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a car;dealers can i trust?

• 01-07-2009 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

Not that i really need a car but it is more and more playing up in my mind to get one.
    I am looking to spend max 3500 on the car. Mind says something small and economic, heart tells me big and or fun.
    Insurance will be too much for my liking anyway as my NCB expired a long time ago.
    Diesel or petrol makes no difference to me.

I have been looking on the usual websites, cbg/carzone/driving and found a few cars i wouldnt mind to be seen in.

The thing that bothers me most though is that i have no experience whatsoever with car dealers in Ireland. I havent a clue which one to trust and where to stay away from as far as possible.
    I know more about cars than the average tyre kicker but i certainly would not call myself an car expert.

All i know is that i dont react too well on being ripped off or being taken for a ride so i would like to avoid that as much as possible.

Vectra

Passat

Another Passat
    Slightly over budget but i am confident i can talk it down to budget.

Golf

Astra
    Don't really fancy that model but i do like the NCT till 03/2011 ....
    As said, it is a struglle between heart and mind at the moment.

Again a Passat

These are the ones i have been looking at so i would like to know if any of those i should not bother going to have a look

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

A dealer you can trust? Ehhhhh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

OP you seem to have found some of the most expensive cars in the world. Every one of thoses cars are way OTT on the price tag. At the money you are talking about and the type of cars you are looking at I'd say you're better off trying to stick to a private sale and bring someone who knows what they are talking about too view the cars with you. Used car dealers are used car dealers. Its not that you cant trust them but just remember its their living to try and get as much as possible for selling used cars. Simple as. And you're as likely to get ripped off at a main dealer paying 10 grand for a car as you are likely to be givin the best service in the world spending 1500 quid with some guy in a portakabin in a gravel yard. Look around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Also - that first Vectra is 13 years old and only has 36K miles on the clock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Saab Ed wrote: »
    At the money you are talking about and the type of cars you are looking at I'd say you're better off trying to stick to a private sale and bring someone who knows what they are talking about too view the cars with you.
    Sound advice, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

some guy in a portakabin in a gravel yard. Look around.

you talking about me Ed?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

OP you seem to have found some of the most expensive cars in the world. Every one of thoses cars are way OTT on the price tag. At the money you are talking about and the type of cars you are looking at I'd say you're better off trying to stick to a private sale and bring someone who knows what they are talking about too view the cars with you. Used car dealers are used car dealers. Its not that you cant trust them but just remember its their living to try and get as much as possible for selling used cars. Simple as. And you're as likely to get ripped off at a main dealer paying 10 grand for a car as you are likely to be givin the best service in the world spending 1500 quid with some guy in a portakabin in a gravel yard. Look around.

Well, that is me told... :D

My problem is with bringing someone who knows what he is talkign about is... i dont know anyone here that has a good enough knowledge about cars.
    I am one of those foreigners... i dont eat swans though.
    I also come from a country where cars are even more expensive then here so any of those cars i mentioned did look ok as it comes to price.

But thanks for the advise. I appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

A dealer you can trust? Ehhhhh?

Yeah i know.... let me rephrase it: A dealer where it is not a 100% certainty you ll have to bend over and take it unlubed.

Exactly my thoughts. But then again, seeing all those service papers in one of those pics i thought it couldnt hurt to go at least have a look at it.
    Am also aware it doesnt have to be a good thing, low miles.

you talking about me Ed?;)

I love gravel ...Gravel = value IMO :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I love gravel ...Gravel = value IMO :D
    Gravel = posh. Muddy potholes = value.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

Anan1 wrote: »
    Gravel = posh. Muddy potholes = value.;)

What does grass equal so?

• Advertisement

budhabob wrote: »
    What does grass equal so?

Cows :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

At 3.5k , you're really in Arthur Daley territory.

Your best bet is to search for a (private) well looked after car with a fully documented service history, sold by someone respectable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

For 2K, pure madness. :confused:

Advertisement