Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Been out of Ireland for 3 years. What am I entitled too?

• 01-07-2009 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have not been employed in Ireland since the end of 2005, but have worked and paid my PRSI for 8-10 years before that.

I will be returning this week as I no longer have employment here, what I want to know is:

Am I entitled to Jobseekers Allowance?
    I will live with my Family. how will this effect?
    How long is the Process to apply?

Thanks

mayotom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

You will have to prove that you are cutting ties with whatever country you are leaving to come to Ireland, things like terminating leases, closing (or emptying) bank accounts. That sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 htimsydna

mayotom wrote: »
    Hi

I have not been employed in Ireland since the end of 2005, but have worked and paid my PRSI for 8-10 years before that.

I will be returning this week as I no longer have employment here, what I want to know is:

Thanks

mayotom

You're not is such a bad position as you have only been out for 3 years unlike me .. I was out for 23 years and was subject to the Habitual Residence Condition ..

I can say first hand you are not entitled to anything until you fill out a few forms.. of course that goes without saying.

I would need to know more about you to carefully guide you through the process as everybody's situation is different and we all get different hurdles to over come before you will qualify for Supplementary Benefit . I was half starved and had four conditions to prove before i got my first cheque from the community welfare officer which took 7 months.. Your situation will be different as you have a history of employment in Ireland.

Are you married with children ? Are they coming home with you ? Are you returning with a car or just a suitcase? Are you single ? just some of the things I need to know....

Next ... You have not have been out long enough to suffer "return culture shock" at this backward country but you may be pissed off at what people here call High Speed Internet" We have here what I call narrow band with a jittery stop/start lucky window of "UP TO" Internet speed.

You ask about living with your family and how will it effect ? ... I'll take a guess you mean your parents or perhaps a sibling . Again .. Are they on the dole ...retired... It's possible they could claim an allowance for an extra person in the house ..this will again depend on the Community Welfare Officer and your situation....

Anyway I will stay with you here on this thread and help out as much as I can when you arrive home ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

htimsydna wrote: »
    You're not is such a bad position as you have only been out for 3 years unlike me .. I was out for 23 years and was subject to the Habitual Residence Condition ..

I can say first hand you are not entitled to anything until you fill out a few forms.. of course that goes without saying.

I would need to know more about you to carefully guide you through the process as everybody's situation is different and we all get different hurdles to over come before you will qualify for Supplementary Benefit . I was half starved and had four conditions to prove before i got my first cheque from the community welfare officer which took 7 months.. Your situation will be different as you have a history of employment in Ireland.

Are you married with children ? Are they coming home with you ? Are you returning with a car or just a suitcase? Are you single ? just some of the things I need to know....

Next ... You have not have been out long enough to suffer "return culture shock" at this backward country but you may be pissed off at what people here call High Speed Internet" We have here what I call narrow band with a jittery stop/start lucky window of "UP TO" Internet speed.

You ask about living with your family and how will it effect ? ... I'll take a guess you mean your parents or perhaps a sibling . Again .. Are they on the dole ...retired... It's possible they could claim an allowance for an extra person in the house ..this will again depend on the Community Welfare Officer and your situation....

Anyway I will stay with you here on this thread and help out as much as I can when you arrive home ..

'Backward' isn't a word I'd use for a country that provides a decent welfare system to someone who hasn't contributed to the economy for 23years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

TheBeach wrote: »
    'Backward' isn't a word I'd use for a country that provides a decent welfare system to someone who hasn't contributed to the economy for 23years.

Relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

The Beach, please have a read of the State Benefits forum Charter. Unhelpful posts are not allowed, and any further rule breaking will get you infracted and/or banned.

Ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Just to put our friend in a better mood about not contributing toward the economy . Many Irish have returned to Ireland as tourist on many occasions and have spent thousands in the process and that is only a fraction of what they spend abroad promoting Ireland..

mayotom: or any expats returning : if you are not coming back with a bucket of money and are subject to the 2004 rule Habitual Resident Condition I would listen up to what "htimsydna" has to say, it could prove very valuable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,145 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

mayotom wrote: »

Your 8-10 years PRSI beforehand is irrelevant, I'm afraid. Yes that seems unfair, write to your TD.

Entitlement to JA is based on a means test, and habitual residency. As the 2nd post in the thread says, to get the latter you will have to sign a declaration saying that you have cut all ties to overseas. I'm not 100% sure, but suspect that means bringing all your money home with you.

How much you're entitled to will depend on what savings etc you have: read some of the other threads here to find a link to the Welfare rules about this.

If you're over 25, then living with your family has no impact. If under 25, your means test will take account of their income too (and you will need to get them to give you evidence of this - some parents refuse).

How long it takes depends on the waiting list in your assigned office. It varies across the country, but 2-3 month waits aren't uncommon. You may be able to get an advance from the CWO, but this isn't guaranteed.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 htimsydna

We all need to survive ... here's the long and short of it if you land and money is going to be an issue .... you have to fill out the forms .. What next ... wait ? hello.... you need food in the meantime ,,,, You are entitled to a one off payment ...(195.90) or a return ticket to the country of origin . Choose to take the ticket from your CWO... (bluff).... then take the cheque while you wait for your appeal to be heard ...(6 weeks) if your appeal fails take the new offer of a return ticket ... use it ... you will be fed on the Airplane.. return to Embassy or Consulate and make a complaint of Refusal to be recognised as an Irish Citizen and ask them for a status in Ireland. You will be given a return ticket if you can show you are a landed Irish without funds ... you will be billed for that ticket if you are a single person at a later date...If you are married .... you walk Scot....

The person above talking about contributing to the economy ? What economy ? you voted for the rules ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,145 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The OP has been working in Dubai. I'm guessing s/he will have had enough cop-on to save while there, I'm told salaries are good there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

I wonder have you left the country ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

shindig-jp wrote: »
    I wonder have you left the country? village?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭kyosushi

check out all the posters who thanked him for his
    xenophobic response.

village would account for it also

Advertisement