Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VOIP mobile

• 01-07-2009 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

I have just bought a sony ericsson C905 and i heard you can run skype on it. Im just wondering if anyone else uses this and does it work out to be expensive. Like how much money would it cost using a skype to skype call if i was using my mobile internet not my home broadbrand for example (which would be free i suppose).

Does any one have any advice or suggestions based on there experiences with VOIP mobile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

Sorry don't know anything about the cost as I only use over wifi. Was using skype app but find "fring" to be easier to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If the C905 is on 3 it's free to use skype, you'll have to pay data charges if your any other network, o2 , Vodafone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭The_Seal

Im with o2 i was thinking of adding a 250mg a month data packet to my bill. Anout how much it charge me if i made a call & would it charge me regardless even if is was only logged on with skype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Skype uses 3 - 16kb per second dependent on bandwidth available for other party, network conditions etc

When idle it uses 0 - 5kb per second.

None of this is free on o2, you will be charged for every kb

roughly speaking your 250mb allowance will get you 250 skype minutes

Ah thats not too bad, i got another 6 months left on my o2 contract will stick with them till then and might change over to 3 Network if they are offering free skype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

You can't use skype over wifi for free on Three. has to go over their apn.

sonyericsson is not good for voip since they have no native sip stack, and fring, nimbuzz and talkonaut won't have sip/voip functionality on non-symbian/win mobile phones. Even the java skype client won't work for voice calls on any phone. Only messaging works.

Ok thats a real ball buster i really wanted to use voip on this phone escpecially skype and now i find out i cant i did a quick google search and it seems correct no voip on the c905.

Arrrgh im really annoyed now that stinkin phone wasnt cheap

Advertisement