Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodwork Painting needed on Apartment

Options
  • 01-07-2009 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Got a letter in from management company recommending a couple a painters to carry out paining of the wooden window frames and doors of apartments/houses. I rang one who quoted me 300 Eur for two bed apartment. One front door, French door frames and two bedroom window frames. Thought this was fairly expensive. Anyone able to recommend someone else? Someone more local maybe. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

Decks wrote: »
    Got a letter in from management company recommending a couple a painters to carry out paining of the wooden window frames and doors of apartments/houses. I rang one who quoted me 300 Eur for two bed apartment. One front door, French door frames and two bedroom window frames. Thought this was fairly expensive. Anyone able to recommend someone else? Someone more local maybe. Cheers.

I wondered what the quotes would come in at...i'd dread to think what the quote will be for a three bedroom house!!!

I'll be DIY ing thats for sure! One window a week...i'll be done before winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

I think this is rediculous. People who live in the Apartment/Duplex blocks do not own the exterior of the buildings and are not responsible for its upkeep. This is what we pay a management fee for. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Robertr wrote: »
    I think this is rediculous. People who live in the Apartment/Duplex blocks do not own the exterior of the buildings and are not responsible for its upkeep. This is what we pay a management fee for. :mad::mad:

Yep, and just to be clear, a higher management fee than those who own houses, to go toward management of common areas (including the exteriors of the blocks).

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭caji

Any idea on whats happening with the painting of the exterior walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

I don't see how a failure to correctly budget absolves the management company from their responsibilities for maintenance of the exterior of the building that they own!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

I received a quote from one of the contractors for €300 for a 2-bed house. As detailed in the note above from CBKW, this includes all of the sanding & 3 coats of varnish. The job can be done in 2 days (weather permitting) and is possible to have done over the weekend.

I've no idea how this fares compared to other contractors but at the end of day, I dont think I'd be able to do all the work in that space of time and with a professional finish and so I'm happy to go ahead...

The contractor has said that if a number of similar houses were interested then they would be able to offer a discount.

If anyone else is interested in getting this done maybe you could PM me and between us we could negotiate a lower payment for everyone together. Look fwd to hearing from anyone interested. Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

eleMental wrote: »

The contractor has said that if a number of similar houses were interested then they would be able to offer a discount.

If anyone else is interested in getting this done maybe you could PM me and between us we could negotiate a lower payment for everyone together. Look fwd to hearing from anyone interested. Thanks! :)

I thought thats what the management agent had done, negotiated the lowest payment for everyone.........

So they put in a quote for a large estate and then they offer a further discount? Why don't they just offer the LOWEST price to every one given the state of the nation?

How much for cash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Skelly88

Decks wrote: »
    To be honest, assuming the job is being done correctly (ie. all exsting varnish removed before 3 fresh coats) it doesn't sound too expensive to me. I wouldn't do that many windows/doors for any less. I'm in the process of doing my own 4 bed appt. myself and it's tough going! Just make sure all exising varnish is removed as this is the only way you'll get a top-class finish.

Robertr wrote: »
    I don't see how a failure to correctly budget absolves the management company from their responsibilities for maintenance of the exterior of the building that they own!
    The appartments don't belong to the Managment Company just to be clear but their upkeep does fall under their remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Skelly88 wrote: »
    The appartments don't belong to the Managment Company just to be clear but their upkeep does fall under their remit.

I don't think he meant that. He meant that they own the exterior of the buildings - which they do. The unit owners only own the interiors and pay a management fee toward maintenance of the common areas including exteriors.

Unit owners paying to have the exterior woodwork varnished in order to avoid inevitable damage because the management company can't or won't pay is nothing other than an act of charity toward the management company.

I do not understand why the management company has not come up with some plan -- some kind of short term financing, or a levy, or a future reimbursement/credit plan for expenses incurred, etc. Instead of just blaming the builders and saying "tough luck" to their clients. I won't post on this again as it's not relevant beyond CG&P.

• Advertisement

I don't think he meant that. He meant that they own the exterior of the buildings - which they do. The unit owners only own the interiors and pay a management fee toward maintenance of the common areas including exteriors.

Unit owners paying to have the exterior woodwork varnished in order to avoid inevitable damage because the management company can't or won't pay is nothing other than an act of charity toward the management company.

I do not understand why the management company has not come up with some plan -- some kind of short term financing, or a levy, or a future reimbursement/credit plan for expenses incurred, etc. Instead of just blaming the builders and saying "tough luck" to their clients. I won't post on this again as it's not relevant beyond CG&P.
    Point taken and I couldn't agree more with you, this is obviously something that the Management company should be looking after within their budget. It's also a little disconcerting to see that the company recommended by the Mgmt. Company to carry out this work is coming up with a finish completely at odds with the original colour used by the builder. Wasn't it their intention to retain the original colour in so far as possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

I have pics of the showhouse and my section taken three years ago, and the dark teak does appear to be the original colour, its faded to tangerine in that time, or bare wood in some spots.

I got them painted via Man Co guys as I'd never get around to it myself - delighted with the result, looks great and now totally weatherproof. I can understand apartment dwellers being irked at having to pay for it, but still cheaper than having to shell out for new frames. I thought that idea about some sort of credit etc was a good one, but thats off the top of my head, without considering the ins and outs... :)

Maisy wrote: »
    I have pics of the showhouse and my section taken three years ago, and the dark teak does appear to be the original colour, its faded to tangerine in that time, or bare wood in some spots.

I got them painted via Man Co guys as I'd never get around to it myself - delighted with the result, looks great and now totally weatherproof. I can understand apartment dwellers being irked at having to pay for it, but still cheaper than having to shell out for new frames. I thought that idea about some sort of credit etc was a good one, but thats off the top of my head, without considering the ins and outs... :)
    Glad your happy with the work Maisy, hopefully more will follow because the place was beginning to look very shabby, we'll have to agree to disagree on the colour though, I've seen some that look like brown paint rather than varnish!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nharrison02

Hi Skelly88, I am in a 4 bed duplex in Charlesland Park and am about to start the exterior wood stain and varnish. I can't find the original letter from Kennedy Wright. Do you know which brand and shade of woodstain and varnish to use? Also, my exterior frames have a lot of silicon around the edges, did you strip that back also when preping?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

We used Sadolin Exterior Natur for dark coloured woods. Lightly sanded frames and cleaned down with white spirits, masked around glass, masked over rubber seals so no varnish got on them and applied two to three coats depending how faded the wood was. The Sadolin tends to streak so you have to take your time. To do this right to will take a couple of days. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fi Fi

I got my 3 bed duplex done last year for 370. There's alot of wood in the duplexes, and we were quoted over 600 by the recommended one. It wasn't one of the recommended ones, but he'd done loads of houses around the estate. I queried him with the management company, who said they were aware of many people who were v happy with him. They were tied into recommending someone else, so couldn't give out his details. PM me if u want.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

We had our 4 bed duplex painted last year for €400.
    :D Great job, well recommended, did the requisite amount of sanding extra coats etc as described by the management company. Feel free to Pm me if you would like his details. Beat the quote from the Mgt company suggested painter by a fair distance!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bazmak

hi i worked with a guy who lives out that way who is at this kinda work years ! qualified too as i went to bolton st. with him.

pm for contact details

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

My Uncle is a painter in Greystones, I've recommended him to people on here before, he is fairly priced and does an excellent job. The Brady brothers at Brady Hardware use him all the time. Give him a ring Paul Edwards 01-287-3532 he'd be more than happy to come out and price a job for you.

This user has used my Uncle in the past
    Opus_One

Adverts | Friends
    Just wanted to let everyone know that we went with Paul Edwards in the end, his quote was 40% cheaper than Tony Winters (also recommended), he came when he said he would, and did a great job. Very reliable. I would recommend him if anyone is looking for a painter in the area.

Advertisement