Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get application icons

Options
  • 01-07-2009 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm working on a product at the moment and it's nearing completion. I'm just getting the GUI tidied up and can't find application icons anywhere.

Years ago, IIRC, these were bundled with VB6. I'n now using VS 2008 Team Developer and these icons are not included.

When I say application icons, I mean the likes of B for BOLD, Italics, Underline, Print, Save, etc.

I'd prefer "free for commercial use" icons but at this stage, I'd be willing to pay a bit. I've scoured the web and all I can find are fancy nancy colourful icons. No problem with using these types but what I want seem to be too basic for these artists to draw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Not sure about what language you're using, but Java has standard "look and feel icons" available.

Java Look and Feel Icons Page

Just download the JAR file ( can be opened as a ZIP file )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Cheers for that. I'm developing in .Net for Windows platform so would rather it had, for the moment, the generic look and feel of a windows application. Gray buttons, black images.

However, the link you provided doesn't have any of the buttons I need. Well it does but I want all of my buttons to have a consistent look and feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Look at FCK editor etc, they might be copyrighted?

istock would have them too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Ronan_

Ronan_ wrote: »

Wow. Nice link and utility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I don't have VS2008 to hand but IIRC they're in roughly the same location as VS2005: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\VS2005ImageLibrary, just extract out the zip file. I think they're installed by default but if not just use add/remove programs and customise or whatever it's called, they're under the option for redistributable files.

Correct. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common\VS2008ImageLibrary exists and does contain some icons.

Both of you are correct however vs2005 and vs2008 don't contain the standard windows application [toolbar] icons like bold, italics, print, save, open folder, print preview etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I have them with 2005 anyway, if you extract out the zip they're under bitmaps\commands\pngformat (and probably the other formats too, haven't checked). They certainly look like the standard icons anyway, unless they look wrong when applied to a toolbar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Can you not just screen capture the ones you want? If its an internal application. I used just make my own in a shareware icon builder. Mind you its been a while.

• Advertisement

It's not an internal application. This is a commercial offering.

And I searched the icon library that came with VS2008 Team again. They are not in my one.

It does not contain anything like
    bitmaps\commands\pngformat

My zip file is approx 9.5MB in size and most of the icons are big colourful ones. I'd say around 48x48.

I'm using VS2008 TS as well. There are icons alright but nothing like the one's you said you wanted.

Unzipped that folder is around 13-14mb. It does have icons/pics - there aren't any office (bold, underline, italics) icons in there.
    But jayz, havn't seen some of them windows9x icons in ages! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Actually scratch that I can't the MS ones only my own.

BostonB wrote: »
    I have some I used for VBA apps. PM me an email and I'll send them on.

Cheers for the offer mate. I got them from a different source on the interweb. I was more replying to stevenmu saying that they weren't included with VS2008, although he has them with VS2005.

I'm sorted.

Advertisement