Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed - garden full of weeds

Options
  • 01-07-2009 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi All,

Hope one of you can give me some advice. My grass is almost two years old now, the builder originally sowed the grass before we moved in and done an exceptionally poor job of it I might ad.

In any case after much resowing and fertilizing over the last while the grass is now filling out and getting greener/stronger. However, it's full of weeds!!! I notice most of the neighbours who haven't paid much attention to their grass still have the patchy thin grass but without much weeds.

Anyone any suggestions as to what to use to kill weeds without killing grass?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

For weeds on lawn look for a product called Mortox(hygeia in galway) used on lawns, pitches and golf courses. 1ltr retails at approx €20 application rate is 75mls per 5 ltr - should do the job and keep the grass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

You can also help by clearing any of the bigger ones. Each year in Spring I go over the lawn with a screwdriver and take out any of the larger dandelions, daisys and buttercups. These will grow bigger and bigger if left and take light away from your grass.
    Once that is done you can back this up with a good lawn weedkiller.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

try feeding the lawn again and try cut the grass 1 per week but not too short

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

There are lots of products on sale for broad leaf weeds in grass. Go to your local Agri supply shop and they'll advise you which one is best for your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

some stores have a twin toothed (fork) with a curved back, i got a home made one, insert the fork under the weed the curved back acts as a fulcrum, as handy as a small pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Nuke them... Feed and weed it works great but the post abouve is right get rid of the big weeds first. After 2 coats of feed and weed you might need to re do with grass seed where the grass died off.

Its a pain I know you just want grass nothing special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

I just put a few drops of roundup on the big weeds around the garden. Cutting the lawn regularly should get rid of most weeds except docs and thistles.

Throw a bag a 10-10-20 onto it also. Will give it a great kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Borrow a couple of sheep! Fence them in tight ;) Let them at it. Believe me, there is nothing in this world, like tightly grazed sheep to clean up and improve grass land or lawns for that matter.

You will have a carpet like lawn afterwards.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Berbatov

Rujib1 wrote: »
    Borrow a couple of sheep! Fence them in tight ;) Let them at it. Believe me, there is nothing in this world, like tightly grazed sheep to clean up and improve grass land or lawns for that matter.

You will have a carpet like lawn afterwards.

R

Haven't much chance of rounding up any sheep!!! :D

Anyway, put some of that feed and weed stuff on the other day, so it's wait and see for now. Might get out on the hands and knees over the weekend and try pulling some of em.

It's getting worse by the day, seems i've more weeds now than when I posed earlier in the week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

I feel your pain...have more weeds than grass at this stage. Grass is a blanket of daisies and some other yokes I don't recognise. Plus plenty of wild grass growing in flower beds. What a mess.

Fraid I have nothing positive to add...just feeling your pain. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Berbatov

Yeah it's driving me nuts, took me till now to eventually get the grass to grow and to start to look like a lawn instead of a direlict plot, and now with the weeds it's starting to look like I don't know what!!

Advertisement