Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love Oz but we do xxxxx better.....

Options
  • 01-07-2009 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Im trying to come up with all the things we have better, or that are god awful here in Oz. Mainly to annoy my mates Aussie missus who is coming back to the old country on holiday soon, a sort of, wait til you see how much better our (whatever) is :) (it might shut her up about us still living like Angelas feckin Ashes)

Off the top of my head:

Nearly all Aussie crisps are tasteless cardboard sh1t. Even Smiths ffs, despite being owned by Walkers!

There doesnt seem to be anywhere that does a typical quarter pounder like you get in an Italian chipper back home. Any burger not from the US chains Ive got here has been greasy, badly built sh1t, same type you get from Eddie Rockets back home if you are thick enough to go to them. And for some reason Aussie lettuce is watery bland sh1te.

Hungry Jack aint no Burger King.

Bondi Beach isnt ALL that.

KFC is dryer than the outback, pricey, and the servings are tiny.

Aussies are shockingly disorganised. And coming from a country where we build road tunnels too small for trucks you know it must be bad.

In a city of 5 million people and a great deal of them Italian it is a pain in the arse to get truly good pizza in Sydney, the kebab house pizza is mkiddling but most of the rest is shockingly bad. In Dublin its hard to get a poor one.

Yes, I know they have to put some anti melting substance into it, but Cadburys here is fooking awful.

McDonalds in Ireland usually have more than 2 staff on till.

Dont get me wrong, I love it here but god there are some things the Aussies just cant get right! Mainly food related for some reason. And Im trying to come up with abuse against a girl who claims outlandish things like Australia invented indoor ceilings :confused:;)

Contribute......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

shane86 wrote: »
    Im trying to come up with all the things we have better, or that are god awful here in Oz. Mainly to annoy my mates Aussie missus who is coming back to the old country on holiday soon, a sort of, wait til you see how much better our (whatever) is :) (it might shut her up about us still living like Angelas feckin Ashes)

Off the top of my head:

Nearly all Aussie crisps are tasteless cardboard sh1t. Even Smiths ffs, despite being owned by Walkers!

There doesnt seem to be anywhere that does a typical quarter pounder like you get in an Italian chipper back home. Any burger not from the US chains Ive got here has been greasy, badly built sh1t, same type you get from Eddie Rockets back home if you are thick enough to go to them. And for some reason Aussie lettuce is watery bland sh1te.

Hungry Jack aint no Burger King.

Bondi Beach isnt ALL that.

KFC is dryer than the outback, pricey, and the servings are tiny.

Aussies are shockingly disorganised. And coming from a country where we build road tunnels too small for trucks you know it must be bad.

In a city of 5 million people and a great deal of them Italian it is a pain in the arse to get truly good pizza in Sydney, the kebab house pizza is mkiddling but most of the rest is shockingly bad. In Dublin its hard to get a poor one.

Yes, I know they have to put some anti melting substance into it, but Cadburys here is fooking awful.

McDonalds in Ireland usually have more than 2 staff on till.

Dont get me wrong, I love it here but god there are some things the Aussies just cant get right! Mainly food related for some reason. And Im trying to come up with abuse against a girl who claims outlandish things like Australia invented indoor ceilings :confused:;)

Contribute......

for starters coles cheese and onion crisps are lovely and woolies salt and vinegar one are good also..... eddie rockets is lovely fast food .... as for calling people that go there "thick".....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:....

the lettuce tastes the same to me as it does back home .....

agree with ya on the kfc point.

aussie's are not disorganised they are just a bit more laid back than we are.

as for the bold highlighted part , i dont have a notion what you are on about there.

i have'nt had chocolate so i cant comment on your cadburys point.

all in all you are not really getting anywhere fast with your argument !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

daftdave wrote: »
    the lettuce tastes the same to me as it does back home .....

Only the stuff from the US chains. Most of the rest is gash.
    aussie's are not disorganised they are just a bit more laid back than we are.

There is a fine line between being disorganised and being downright dangerous. They make us look like Germans in comparison.

To reiterate, I love this place and can probably see myself staying for good....but some stuff, jesus.

Another to add: Sydney pubs/ clubs toilets are a disgrace, be they expensive places or sh1thole bars Ive never seen one you didnt have to hold your breath in.

Mind you, I suppose I can put up with great club- **** toilets rather than back home with sh1t nightclub- clean jacks :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Sausages

Aussies have no concep of what a real sausage should taste like.

Beef FFS, what right minded indivdual thinks Beef sausages are a good idea.

their Bacon is also streaky rubish.

and as for crisps, I would agree about smiths, but Red Rock Deli save australia in that department

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Since i came out here i have realised that i hate Ireland and never want to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

PORK sausages ... WTF is 'meat' sausage?
    Chips, why do fish and chip shops always serve frozen crap?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Stupid bloody little glasses of beer - midis, pots and all that sh!te. Just give me a fcuking pint and keep your little girly glasses thanks.

Bundy and coke. I don't care if it's on draught, premixed in a can, in a pitcher or just served normally. It's just ghey.

Mullets, sleevless shirts and working shorts that are 4 sizes too small. Fashion sense is not common in Oz.

Modesty. A word that doesn't appear in any Australian's vocabulary.

Oh sorry, isn't this the Ranting and Raving forum :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I love it here.

But the Irish do the pig better than the Australians, in all of its forms, cuts, smokes, brines and by-products.

Dairy and pig products are the two things I miss from Ireland, and UK-style Indian curry houses and Marks and Spencers from England. Oh - and the BBC. Aussie news is shoite.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

I miss Top Gear... the real one that is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

Butter

Aussie comedians are generally terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

I've never been to Oz but Ireland does outward tolerance better ;)

• Advertisement

Can we add things they do better than Ireland? ;-)

1. Prepaid phone credit

Derek B wrote: »

1. Prepaid phone credit

Na he's trying to wind the mates missus up...:p

Would a chilled fridge not do the trick here? and leave well good alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Oh - and the BBC. Aussie news is shoite.
    DamoDLK wrote: »
    I miss Top Gear... the real one that is..

SBS for both of these.

Though I agree channel 7,9,10 sensationalist crap

that reminds me

F*CKING TV ADS, 90min movie + ads = 150MIN! Dead serious, I watched the incredibles ... it went on for 2.5hrs! it's only f*cking 88mins! grrrrrrrrr

and those Today tonight & current affair ... dear god,

Sausages

Aussies have no concep of what a real sausage should taste like.

And sausage rolls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Derek B wrote: »

1. Prepaid phone credit

Meh, only half. We charge by the second, these cnuts charge a dollar if the person doesnt pick up (though seeing as you get more than 4 times your purchase for free I guess I shouldnt complain. But I will :) )

Ive never understood the pork thing the Irish gripe about here, most of my local cafs do a great fry up in general. About twice the food you would get from some stingy caf in Dublin for half the price, fry up here fills you for a good 8 hours.
    waraf wrote: »
    Stupid bloody little glasses of beer - midis, pots and all that sh!te. Just give me a fcuking pint and keep your little girly glasses thanks.

Christ how did I forget. Any Irishman who willingly drinks a schooner when reasonably priced pints of decent beer are on offer is a lesser form of life tbh. Beer from a schooner is like drinking canned courvoisier, it just shouldnt be done.
    DamoDLK wrote: »
    Would a chilled fridge not do the trick here? and leave well good alone!

Its not like it even works! Any chocolate I ever bought at the height of summer was half melted anyway.

Another gripe- public transport. Nothing like a trip to an intended destination up the country passing train stations with little or no signage and no announcements regarding where you have arrived. And the Sydney subway on a Sunday- one train every 15 if you are lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

you always go back to the one you love

Christ how did I forget. Any Irishman who willingly drinks a schooner when reasonably priced pints of decent beer are on offer is a lesser form of life tbh. Beer from a schooner is like drinking canned courvoisier, it just shouldnt be done.

If you're in a bar at night then yes, pints all the way...but if you're out in the mid-summer heat, then I don't want to be drinking warm beer so schooners work better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Barmen.

In many of the pubs I went to in Oz the barman (or barteenager) would take each order individually, pull your schooner or pint, take your money and then ask the next person what they wanted. You could be all day waiting as they worked through a queue.

In most of the pubs here the barmen are capable of asking 5 people in a row what they want so more than one beer can be pulled at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

right in the middle of a match on tv, and bam ,,...... ads .., how frucking annoying is that !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

True Belfast had the best sausages in the world Ireland was a poor runner up Aussie sausages are pretty grim. But its fun looking.

Red rock deli are fab and do save crisps respect to Mahatma.

No potato bread, except for the nice man in keilor who makes it for us special.

We miss tescos

Apart from that I love Australia...

As for KFC its fat saturated crap in both places. Eddies was fab as well , just dont have the burgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

It sure has turned into a rant about sausages and beer glass size and whats on telly.. pretty important stuff. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Television

CHIPS.. proper chipper chips, not the frozen generic crap ones you get everywhere in Oz (apart from that one fish n chip shop in the westend in Brisbane.. lovely)

Deli Rolls

And as has been said, sausages and chocolate.

Vinegar aswell but i suppose that ties in with the chips above.

bw wrote: »
    It sure has turned into a rant about sausages and beer glass size and whats on telly.. pretty important stuff. ;)

Yes , in ireland i bitched about the economy , legal issues , state of the nation etc

Here I bitch about Sausages and the telly .... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Dubrub

Sausages -- Aussies sausages are terrible
    Mayonnaise -- Aussie mayonnaise is like man juice,,
    Chocolate -- You will really appreciated Irish chocolate if you have every tasted Aussies
    Pubs -- What is it with Aussies obsession with poker machines in pubs!!! Pubs are for drinking and having the Craic!
    Australians - Aggressive, impolite, rude people!!
    Supermarket - Coles V's Superquinn,,, no contest
    Cinemas -- Movies come out in Ireland a month before Australia
    Rain -- It rains more in Sydney than in Dublin -- fact!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin#Climate
    TV - Australian TV really is crap!

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Yes , in ireland i bitched about the economy , legal issues , state of the nation etc

How long have you been there for? There was plenty of bitching about the economy, government, traffic etc. when I was there (Sydney). This is by Aussies though. If you're there on a 1 year visa who cares about that crap? :)

Although I was there when Howard was in power. Maybe it's all better now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Here I bitch about Sausages and the telly .... :)

Classic! I am the same, but opposite direction to you. Spent some time in Ireland hearing whinging about traffic, drink/house prices, then got back home and I whinged about the crap oz telly. I was brought up on the food so it doesnt bother me - I just chopped my sleeves off and grew a mullet and got back into the swing of things.. :cool:

How long have you been there for? There was plenty of bitching about the economy, government, traffic etc. when I was there (Sydney). This is by Aussies though. If you're there on a 1 year visa who cares about that crap? :)

Although I was there when Howard was in power. Maybe it's all better now.

What Aussies bitch about is what Aussies bitch about Im irish. I know what I bitch about thanks.

If I was too bitch about life here migrating was a huge mistake.

What Aussies bitch about is what Aussies bitch about Im irish. I know what I bitch about thanks.

If I was too bitch about life here migrating was a huge mistake.

I wasn't having a go at you. Don't be so touchy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Breakfast/chicken fillet rolls. Oh how I long for a Spar around the corner when hungover.

TV ads, especially during the footy. Some lad scores a screamer and instead of showing a replay we see the same feckin Toyota car ad we saw precisely 2 minutes earlier.

Nightclub choons. No one's heard of Maniac 2000 and there's waaaay too much drum n bass/r n b for my liking.

Comedy

Guinness

Sports shops

Advertisement