Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love Oz but we do xxxxx better.....

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

ah now in defence of Australian Telly.

The Chasers

Spicks ands Specks

the Gruen Transfer

are all brilliant

and that Underbelly wasnt too bad the first couple of seasons, but watch as they feck it up horendously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

Mackman wrote: »
    TV: the aussies are crap at making tv shows. the only exception is probably "Talking 'bout my Generation". And the adds, oh my god the adds, way way too many and they're all sensationalist crap,
    e.g. "You wont believe what happens in this weeks So you think you can Dance, this shocker will leave you stunned!!!!" and on the show, yer one falls down during the dance.....wow:rolleyes:

+1 on the sausage rolls and the chips, i really miss the breakfast roll cure for the hangover :(

ah yes the irish who are known for their outstanding tv show making ability.

i don't live in australia nor will i but this is clutching at straws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Underbelly was excellent....

And Father ted was made in Ireland granted by an outside firm but made in Ireland with irish Actors...

neighbours and home and away anyone?

Hey there are some seriously hot chicks in those shows , many who go on to thrill millons with singing careers or drug fuelled Bikie gang scandals... leave well alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Footy Show is the best tv there is anywhere imo. Even if you don't like sport or AFL it's hilarious. Sam Newman is a hero. Thursday night, 9.30pm, Channel 9. Watch it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

ah but you live in WA Xavi

I live in queensland so we have to suffer that godawqful Fatty and the League Footy Show, horse****e of the highest order, have to admit I really like the AFL one but its on at an ungodly hour in QLD, anyway its never been as good since Eddie left, I lack an outlet for my rage now ;)

Irish Rugby stars dont walk around central coast hotels butt naked crapping on the carpet.

Our GAA stars dont resign cause they reckon they just cant stop king hitting people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Irish Rugby stars dont walk around central coast hotels butt naked crapping on the carpet.

Our GAA stars dont resign cause they reckon they just cant stop king hitting people...

Heh. Aussie sport is fcuking hilarious :) (well, bar knackbags like that Greg Bird dude, but the rest, I love their ridicilous scandals)

The Cronulla chairman being my favourite. Im sure Geordies here must read about them and drop their jaws at the thought that a more disaster prone sporting club than their own exists.

why would 'geordies' be using an irish forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Maybe there aren't any good public access forums in North East England?
    Or maybe he means Geordies in Australia...

Back in Ireland now from NZ- the driving is better here, and the telly. It's actually watchable. On the other hand you pay 4 euro for a single triple-plastic-wrapped apple from Uganda...that's why all I eat are rashers. Real rashers. Proper rashers.

shane86 wrote: »
    Heh. Aussie sport is fcuking hilarious :) (well, bar knackbags like that Greg Bird dude, but the rest, I love their ridicilous scandals)

Very true ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

im sure by geordies he meant sad newcastle fans like myself !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Back to TV stuff. The documentary series Reeling in the Years was probably one of the best shows I've seen.

Really well put together. I was glued to it and wasn't even brought up there.

They did a similar one in Australia but it was sh1thouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I know it's a hackneyed one, but the weather. Oh god, the difference the weather makes to your life.

Now you may laugh, but here, living in Australia now for over two years, I suffer from vitamin D deficiency. Yep, that's right, I'm deficient in the vitamin you get through exposure to sunlight. Still, I reckon I'm slowly but surely regaining levels that were originally lost through living in the UK and Ireland, and I'm managing to get the "right" sunshine here - early morning (pre-9am I mean, in summer), vest and shorts, 15 mins, no sun cream. It's too early to burn, and never any longer than 15 mins. There's a happy medium between skin cancer and vitamin D deficiency but it's bloody hard to find.

I just think that to be able to get up in the morning, even in winter, and it's bright. It's not the heat I'm after especially not in a Victorian winter! Though it is a lot milder than an Irish one), it's the brightness - blue sky, no six-month pall of overcast grey - it lifts the spirits.

Looks out window ..... No bl**dy vitamin D today MJD :confused:

Even the Cat doesnt want out ....

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

not to bad in eastern subs in sydney at the mo. bit fresh but bright and blue skies. nice day to head to randwick for the races:)

the comparison between australia and ireland is madness. europe and australia is a fair comparison.

this is not a put down to australia it seems like a cool place with such great animal life and nature and massive open space to explore but ireland could never compete against australia unless it came to personal things like 'craic' and 'tv'.

Looks out window ..... No bl**dy vitamin D today MJD :confused:

Even the Cat doesnt want out ....

It was a generalisation :D

It was a generalisation :D

True ...even a mild (Victoria) winters day can equate to a fairly decent irish summers day.

• Advertisement

Saying that, for a country that has so much solar power at its disposal, I'm astonished at some of the energy use of the aussies. I mean, it's cold, so my heat is on. Therefore I'm using clothes horses in the spare room to dry my clothes. In summer, the simple heat of the day dries them in minutes outside. Yet, this country has people who user Dryers. ...seriously? An electric clothes dryer, one of the most environmentally unfriendly devices in the word, in Australia?

Saying that, for a country that has so much solar power at its disposal, I'm astonished at some of the energy use of the aussies. I mean, it's cold, so my heat is on. Therefore I'm using clothes horses in the spare room to dry my clothes. In summer, the simple heat of the day dries them in minutes outside. Yet, this country has people who user Dryers. ...seriously? An electric clothes dryer, one of the most environmentally unfriendly devices in the word, in Australia?

We have not dried clothes inside since we got here , I use to hate hanging clothes on rads all over the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

My girlfriend is in Australia at the moment and tells me that the Australians make us look like the Japanese in terms of efficiency and common sense.

Confab wrote: »
    My girlfriend is in Australia at the moment and tells me that the Australians make us look like the Japanese in terms of efficiency and common sense.

In what sense ...? Examples

I think Australia was very 'seventies' in a way, right up to the end of the nineties, but then it took a great leap forwards. The house we've just built has a six star energy rating, water conserving appliances, energy saving lightbulbs, water conserving taps and shower heads, fully insulated attic, eaves, a water tank for the garden fed by the rainwater from the roof during winter (has to last the summer though!) so on, so forth - plus we're in the queue for a solar power system, so most of our electricity will come from the panels on the roof by the end of this year. It's now compulsory by law that all new houses have at least a five star energy rating.

However, walk into a house built 10 years ago, and it may well have a two star rating and chintz furniture throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

In what sense ...? Examples

That they couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery?

Really, the amount of things you see daily that ranges from merely incompetent to downright dangerous is jaw dropping when you first arrive (think Im too used to it now mind!). Sometimes I think the Aussies are lucky that Kevin Rudd is the only person in this whole country who actually knows his arse from his elbow.Really though, if I had a dollar for every time I had to shake my head and mutter "typically fcuking oz!" to myself Id be a rich man. My number one tip for any foreigner would be to never rely on an Aussie who is employed to look after your xyz to actually do it, always chase it up because in most cases they wont have bothered their arse.

Really, the amount of things you see daily that ranges from merely incompetent to downright dangerous is jaw dropping when you first arrive (think Im too used to it now mind!). Sometimes I think the Aussies are lucky that Kevin Rudd is the only person in this whole country who actually knows his arse from his elbow.Really though, if I had a dollar for every time I had to shake my head and mutter "typically fcuking oz!" to myself Id be a rich man. My number one tip for any foreigner would be to never rely on an Aussie who is employed to look after your xyz to actually do it, always chase it up because in most cases they wont have bothered their arse.

lol.. and here's you trying to stay longer.. illegally. enjoy your flight back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

bw wrote: »
    lol.. and here's you trying to stay longer.. illegally. enjoy your flight back.

And that's relevant to
    "I love Oz but we do xxxxx better....."
    how?

And that's relevant to
    "I love Oz but we do xxxxx better....."
    how?

ah come on..
    ..the amount of things you see daily that ranges from merely incompetent to downright dangerous..
    ..Kevin Rudd is the only person in this whole country who actually knows his arse from his elbow..
    never rely on an Aussie who is employed to look after your xyz

is related to "we do xxx better" how?

it started out with sausages and bacon, how he's just ranting about the whole country being incompetant at the same time as trying to stay illegally..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭DTrotter

Really, Irish people are in a position to criticise other countries after our little episode.

Advertisement