Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love Oz but we do xxxxx better.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

DTrotter wrote: »
    Really, Irish people are in a position to criticise other countries after our little episode.

True.

Ireland = Sh1t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

True.

Ireland = Sh1t

:eek: .... Guess your staying then ....

Zambia232 wrote: »
    :eek: .... Guess your staying then ....

If i can, ill stay here forever! forever! forever! forever! forever! forever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

bw wrote: »
    it started out with sausages and bacon, how he's just ranting about the whole country being incompetant at the same time as trying to stay illegally..

So feckin what? :confused: Aussies are generally shockingly incompetent. Doesnt mean I cant ignore this and enjoy the cheaper lifestyle, better weather, better nightlife, better job opportunities if I got residency etc etc etc. It is a great country but to portray Aussies in general as organised is embarassing.
    DTrotter wrote: »
    Really, Irish people are in a position to criticise other countries after our little episode.

I didnt partake in the mismanagement of our economy. Ive never taken out a loan in my life. Ergo I can criticise whoever the fook I want! :) And anyway, re read it, amazingly Rudd is one of the rare Aussies who actually has his head screwed on, hence why I still think they will avoid any serious recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mdu

the weather -
    sure who doesnt love a grand soft irish morning...

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mdu

and one more... we work harder and better. I didnt like how the aussies said 'we (aussies) work to live while you (irish, english etc etc) live to work'. thats bull for one thing and after working in a office in sydney id take the irish attitude to work anyday. we work harder and tend to be more motivated and less lazy. IMO anyways..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Miss No Name

When I arrived in Australia first it kinda reminded me of Ireland before the recession, before we got obsessed with money.

This is a tough list OP. But the one thing I can't wait to introduce my oh to when he comes over (he is Aussie) is table service. Where you enter an eating establishment and sit at a table and someone comes over, takes your order and brings you your drinks, food and bill.

None of this order off a menu on the wall, pay at a counter BEFORE you eat, take your seat and wait to an annoying BUZZER to go off then get up out of your seat walk back to the counter to pick up your food, cutlery and condiments. Phew!! Really!!

And coffee - good coffee - none of this flat long short crap but proper Italian style coffees.

This is a tough list OP. But the one thing I can't wait to introduce my oh to when he comes over (he is Aussie) is table service. Where you enter an eating establishment and sit at a table and someone comes over, takes your order and brings you your drinks, food and bill.

None of this order off a menu on the wall, pay at a counter BEFORE you eat, take your seat and wait to an annoying BUZZER to go off then get up out of your seat walk back to the counter to pick up your food, cutlery and condiments. Phew!! Really!!

And coffee - good coffee - none of this flat long short crap but proper Italian style coffees.

Where the hell are you eating, in Melbourne we get excellent table service.

Agreed, i dont think all restaraunts should be tarred with the elephant and wheelbarrow brush tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Agreed, i dont think all restaraunts should be tarred with the elephant and wheelbarrow brush tbh

Nobody seems to know what a pint or glass of milk is in this country. When eating dinner it is customary in Ireland to have the glass of bainne bó with the dinner. On many occasions I have asked for a glass in eateries only to the shock horror of the waiter/waitress. This has happened a few times, the waiter would go back to the kitchen come out and ask if I wanted hot or cold milk then come back again with the manager to double check, "yes I want a glass of cold milk".

I dare anyone to go into a restaurant and ask for a glass of milk, it's funny to see their reaction. It's as if you'd asked for cocaine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Mulan

I hope people didn't travel to the other side of the world and expect it to the same did they??

The thing I hate is that, SOME people that went to "OZ" for a year etc seem to think that the people who didn't go have missed out on this life changing experience.
    Anyone else find that.

NB. I've been.

Nobody seems to know what a pint or glass of milk is in this country. When eating dinner it is customary in Ireland to have the glass of bainne bó with the dinner. On many occasions I have asked for a glass in eateries only to the shock horror of the waiter/waitress. This has happened a few times, the waiter would go back to the kitchen come out and ask if I wanted hot or cold milk then come back again with the manager to double check, "yes I want a glass of cold milk".

I dare anyone to go into a restaurant and ask for a glass of milk, it's funny to see their reaction. It's as if you'd asked for cocaine!

HAHA yeah that has happened to me too, they had to go to their staff room coffee milk stash and didnt know what to charge me.

And the "Ireland = ****" comment

Grow up for F*** sake and get a life

Mulan wrote: »
    And the "Ireland = ****" comment

Grow up for F*** sake and get a life

I dont shut up, I grow up, and when I look at you I throw up.

I wasnt being serious silly :D:D

Well put.
    ??????????????????????????
    God help us

Nobody seems to know what a pint or glass of milk is in this country. When eating dinner it is customary in Ireland to have the glass of bainne bó with the dinner.

Ok I have never known anyone to ask for a Glass of milk with their dinner in Ireland. So less of the customary. They may handle weird requests better but its not customary.

Oh and I agree Oz is not life changing, a year in Somalia is life changing oz is just a year away.

Mulan wrote: »
    Well put.
    ??????????????????????????

To answer your question, yes I think it was well put.
    Ok I have never known anyone to ask for a Glass of milk with their dinner in Ireland. So less of the customary. They may handle weird requests better but its not customary.

Its not customary but it is quite common, a glass of milk with a carvery is the only way to do it otherwise youre just waste your time and the time of those closest to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

This thread is getting a bit out of hand. Less of the personal comments and stick to the topic please.

By it's nature this thread will be full of complaining. That's the topic, lets stick to it. You can't come in a thread with this title and then complain that people are living in oz but are complaining about it.

Thanks,
    watna

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Can we complain about NZ,even though my ITA arrived yesterday..? ;)

jank wrote: »
    Can we complain about NZ,even though my ITA arrived yesterday..? ;)

Complain away!

It's the nature of emigrants really. You're always going to compare things to home.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Kiwi drivers...seriously, I thought we were bad at home but christ some of the guys out there take the biscuit.

The cost of things here is pi$$ing me off and the lower wages really effects what you can do in your spare time and the amount you can save to go traveling.

jank wrote: »
    Kiwi drivers...seriously, I thought we were bad at home but christ some of the guys out there take the biscuit.

The cost of things here is pi$$ing me off and the lower wages really effects what you can do in your spare time and the amount you can save to go traveling.

Yup - I'm with you there. My OH laughed when I first said the drivers in Wellington were mad and very impatient. He kept telling me how bad Dublin is for that (which it is). Recently he's starting agreeing that Wellington is way worse - which is strange because compared to other cities the traffic here is non existent!

My list of complaints and compliments is as follows:

Complaints
    Things can often cost the same as home but you earn half as much (e.g. cinema tickets) making entertainment and travel expensive
    Clothes and other consumer goods are very expensive
    Quality of food (mentioned in another thread)
    Quality of housing (don't get me started)
    Posibility of earthquakes (scary)

Compliments
    We actually had a summer this year and it was lovely
    Wine is good quality and very cheap (compared to home). Plus you can go to vineyards and buy direct. Mmmm - wine!
    Prefer the work environment in NZ (not sure if that is just because I love my job here but hated my job in Dublin)
    Because entertainment is more expensive we hang out in other people's houses a lot and make dinners for each other and drink a lot of wine. It's a lot nicer than an expensive night out in town

Its not customary but it is quite common, a glass of milk with a carvery is the only way to do it otherwise youre just waste your time and the time of those closest to you.

Really .... I will take your word for it.

Really .... I will take your word for it.
    thumbs%20up%20low%20res.jpg

thumbs%20up%20low%20res.jpg

When DIAC ask you for a photo I would use this one :)

Nah, I gave em this one of me so they knew not to fuk with my sh1t
    FrankPaddySlavin2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

i think chips are much better here than back home, especially thins, twisties and red rock deli.

the only real complaints about here is the fanta is really bad.

dunno how people can throw the disorganised thing around (though i'm assuming these people are located around sydney), public transport as an example compared to ireland is like night and day.

and the best thing being that the PM of this country is on twitter!

and the best thing being that the PM of this country is on twitter!

I beg to differ Irish ministers have been twits for years

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

traffic lights. get the green arrow to turn corner and the pedestrians get a green light to walk at the same time. how there arent more accidents I dont know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Cant get lucozade here, traffic lights work differently with pedestrians, difficult to get a proper spud here...

Advertisement