Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brochure Website

Options
  • 01-07-2009 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi,

Im looking to set up a brochure website with around 15 pages and a content management system so I can edit pages. Ive been quoted all kinds of prices but what would the average cost of this be including hosting and domain name reg for 1 year?

Thanks!
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No hosting talk allowed here.

To answer your other question - if the site won't need extra pages added dynamically (though this is under review by them), then CushyCMS might be useful for you. It's really easy to set up and use. So maybe ask for quotes just for the 15 page site and implement the CMS part yourself - it really is that easy.

I can send you some screenshots of a site using it and the interface if you want to PM me your email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭djb85

Apologies,

Yeah thats great thanks for the help. PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Iv never seen that cushycms before, watched the vid, pretty cool.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its not always as clear cut as just "Get the design done and do the CMS yourself". Some CMS require a fair bit of integration to get the CMS working properly. So many CMSs out there from small to big, its good to pick one with a proven track record.

As for costs, a typical decent quality design can start anywhere from €1.5k - €2k+. Try not to get those muppets (excuse my french) who claim to be "web design experts" and offer designs at rates like €300sh with poor websites and portfolios. Hosting varies always in pricing, usually more expensive over here but shop around. Same with domains but you can get them around €25sh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Depends on what the "15 pages" entails; does each one have unique functionality & content ? Are they fairly advanced (product slideshows, details, etc) ?

Do you already have a logo, colour scheme, design & layout concept to give a designer a head-start from the initial blank canvas ?

What requirements do you have re SEO ?

In theory, it could probably be done with a basic CMS for about €1,000. But without the additional details, it's hard to say.

Without a more detailed spec, Sully's probably about right with the €1,500 - €2K mark as a starting point, but it could go to about €900 depending on what the requirements, spec and starting point are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

My price range was based on good quality designs (above just "average"), good development which includes basic SEO and Accessibility Standards. €900 seems still very cheap for 15 pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Sully wrote: »
    My price range was based on good quality designs (above just "average"), good development which includes basic SEO and Accessibility Standards. €900 seems still very cheap for 15 pages.

Yup, it would be......but a price like that would be dependent on receiving a solid design concept.

And it would also only be applicable if at least some of the pages were consistent / similar enough that they were "one design / multiple content population".

e.g. a basic photographer's site where there were 6 pages might only have 4 page "types" :

home page
    wedding gallery page
    portrait gallery page
    commercial gallery page
    about us / profile page
    testimonials page
    contact page

All the bolded pages would - for design purposes - be equvalent.

And (of course) receiving the initial content in a way that didn't require lots of extra work (resizing, cropping, etc).

Don't get me wrong - I reckon (and said) that without the details of what's required, your "guesstimate" of €1,500 - €2,000 was spot-on!

Advertisement