Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about switching from BT to UPC

Options
  • 01-07-2009 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I have phone and bb with BT but I've never been altogether happy with the quality of service - never get anything near the max 7.6Mbs, sites are often very slow to load etc.

Anyway UPC recently ran new cable in my area and just dropped in a flyer saying that they can now do phone and 20Mbs bb for €54 pm. Just wondering if anyone has made the switch and if so have they had any problems? Can you keep the existing phone number? Does the switchover take long?

Thanks
    vick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Seems like you can get the Tv+Sky Sports+Sky Movies+Phone+10MB Broadband for just under 100 euro. They are doing the work around my area as well and I am sorely tempted as I paying close to 100 for 7.6Mb+Phone+TV with sky (no movies or sports) at the moment.

As an aside the_vick I am also on BT 7.6 and recently upgraded my modem/router to http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337071 and its much faster/more stable. I mean it really depends on your line stats but it might be worth a punt for 70 euro delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 the_vick

Even though it costs me a whopping €92pm, with SKY I get HD, Dolby Digital, Series Link, always-up-date TV guide, Sky Anytime, Sky Player, etc. and I don't think UPC can match that, so I think I'll probably continue to fund Rupert Murdoch's ivory back-scratcher collection.

With regards to the router, I actually bought that router when I initially went for BT (I could never get port forwarding working with my old LinkSys) but the service has never matched UTV's service (much snappier even at only 3Mbps), which I had when I lived in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

the_vick wrote: »
    Even though it costs me a whopping €92pm, with SKY I get HD, Dolby Digital, Series Link, always-up-date TV guide, Sky Anytime, Sky Player, etc. and I don't think UPC can match that, so I think I'll probably continue to fund Rupert Murdoch's ivory back-scratcher collection.

With regards to the router, I actually bought that router when I initially went for BT (I could never get port forwarding working with my old LinkSys) but the service has never matched UTV's service (much snappier even at only 3Mbps), which I had when I lived in the city centre.

UPC has series link now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or indeed BB only from UPC and all the basic UK channels free on Satellite and the four Irish channels via aerial. Apart from premium sport Channels, the Pay channels have a lot of repeats. It can work out cheaper to pay for them once on DVD, than €600 annually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

I found UPC to be excellent and have had them as my ISP for 2 years, but my primary concern was bandwidth. If you are more into television than perhaps Sky as mentioned above is better - I don't really watch TV at all so all the stuff with digital recorders, HD is of little value.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I switched recently to UPC from Smart.
    No problems, almost the full 20megs download.
    I changed my phone number but that was because I want nothing to do with eircom. To be honest I don't know if you can keep the number. eircom messed Smart around a long time on that issue, so they may be at the same with UPC.

Switchover took minutes.

Make sure to get the recorder thing for a fiver extra a month. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes, you can transfer an eircom number to almost any other supplier on LLU or not on copper now.

I assume swapping from BT would be the same as swapping from Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Yes once you are out of contract which is typically 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

the_vick wrote: »
    I assume swapping from BT would be the same as swapping from Eircom?
    Yep - Managed to switch over with little or no hassle at all. Kept my original BT number, the only additional step is that you would need to manually cancel your bb with BT before they could port your phone number across. If your bb was with Eircom, they would handle all the details at UPC for you.

• Advertisement

Fingleberries, how long did the switchover take?

Advertisement