Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nanostation 5

Options
  • 01-07-2009 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have just setup a point to point link of 3km with 2 nanaostation 5's, seem a very easy unit to configure and use.

Anyone on here have much experiance with them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

I've tested the Nano 2, not the 5 yet but they're supposed to perform good. Are you getting a good enough signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭jamesd

Sorry with the slow reply:

I am getting -65dBm for the signal, I was getting so much interferance from standard eircom wireless routers with my older 2.4Ghz hardware and now with this all seems good.

I have 4.5mb broadband going into the access point and when it hits the house with the station its getting 4mb so not bad losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

how much did the gear set you back and where did you source it from?

thanks

Got it all from http://www.wi-pipe.com/
    and they are €75 each ex vat and had them in 1 day.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

I second that wi-pipe are great with great communication and delivery times....i got the nano 2's and work a treat

• Advertisement

cheers

thanks for the info

You should be getting alot more than 4mbps throughput, do you have a clear fresnel zone between the antennas?

You should be getting alot more than 4mbps throughput, do you have a clear fresnel zone between the antennas?

the OP may mean 4 Mbps by doing an online speedtest and not local LAN speed

Yes I mean an online speed check, I am feeding the AP with 4.5mb and then on the Station i am getting 4mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Set the data transfer rate at the highest rate possible on the link setup tab and make sure auto is ticked beside it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

I'm a complete newbie to this kind of stuff, so forgive my stupidity!

If I got two of these I could link work and home (as crow flies distance of 3.5KM) together at a half decent speed? Even if there isn't a line-of-sight between the two buildings?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Set the data transfer rate at the highest rate possible on the link setup tab and make sure auto is ticked beside it

There's no need to have the rates maxed if your not using that speed, since he only needs about 4mbps you'd only need to use 6mbps data rate really also, the higher you set the rates the weaker the signal you'll have.

@John Long, you'd need a line of sight otherwise you'll have terrible signal/throughput problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dahak

jamesd wrote: »
    Sorry with the slow reply:

I am getting -65dBm for the signal, I was getting so much interferance from standard eircom wireless routers with my older 2.4Ghz hardware and now with this all seems good.

I have 4.5mb broadband going into the access point and when it hits the house with the station its getting 4mb so not bad losses.

Quick question, I was looking at two nanostation5 units to do a 1.7km link.
    Using a link calculator I worked out that with the 14 dB gain from the nanostation antenna I would only get about 12 Mbit/s with adequate rain margin (12 dB) and stay within legal limits.

Figures would be:
    Transmitter
    power: 6 dBm
    Cable loss: 0 dBm
    Antenna gain: 14 dBi
    Free space loss: -112.22 dB @5.7 GHz
    Receiver
    Antenna gain: 14 dB
    Cable loss: 0 dBm
    Receiver sensitivity: -91 dBm @12 Mbit/s

Remaining margin: 12.78 dB

This was using Ubiquini figures for the antenna gain and receiver sensitivity.

Using the same link planner to get get -65 dBm for the receiver signal I'm working out your transmit power at 24 dBm, the maximum rated output for the unit @ 3 km link.

If my figures are correct that would put you at nearly twice the legal transmit power level.

I'm just wondering if the figure that I was using of an EiRP of 20 dBi is correct for Ireland?

The EIRP limit for 5.8GHz in Ireland is 2W(33.01dbm). The total EIRP of the Nano 5 is 38dbm. The regulatory limit is ridiculously low for 5.8GHz,even worse for 2.4ghz though.

There's no need to have the rates maxed if your not using that speed, since he only needs about 4mbps you'd only need to use 6mbps data rate really also, the higher you set the rates the weaker the signal you'll have.

Disable G mode and max it

There is no B or G, this is 5Ghz (802.11A) that we're talking about, so just setting the rate to 9 or 12 mbps might be best.

There is no B or G, this is 5Ghz (802.11A) that we're talking about, so just setting the rate to 9 or 12 mbps might be best.

Doh, forgot that, I'm so used to using Nano 2's

There's no need to have the rates maxed if your not using that speed, since he only needs about 4mbps you'd only need to use 6mbps data rate really also, the higher you set the rates the weaker the signal you'll have.QUOTE]

Here is a print screen of the AP
    So do i set the speed here? Opp. where it says Data Rate?
    Do I need to adjust the Output Power ?

I assume I need to set the same on the Station?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dahak

The EIRP limit for 5.8GHz in Ireland is 2W(33.01dbm). The total EIRP of the Nano 5 is 38dbm. The regulatory limit is ridiculously low for 5.8GHz,even worse for 2.4ghz though.

Many thanks for that, I must have pulled my numbers from the restrictions for the 2.4GHz band. Just a note though 38 dBm comes out 6.3 W which is more than three times the allowed power output on a wattage basis.

Also from the screen shot the OP put up after you posted.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=84714&d=1247217357

It appears that the 5180 MHz band is being used, which has a maximum power output of 60 mW for indoor use only.

The OP should probably move to the 5725–5875 band and lower the transmit power to below 19 dBm to stay within the Irish 2W limit. The country might also need to be changed to a European country to make sure DFS and TPC are turned on.

Just in case anyone else is looking for it this seems to be the current regulatory situation in Ireland.

The 5GHz band is divided into five sections.
    Frequency Bands | Application | Max Radiated Power
    5150 – 5250 | Indoor use only | 30 mW (no TPC)
    5150 – 5250 | Indoor use only | 60 mW (with TPC)
    5150** – 5350 | Indoor use only | 60 mW (no TPC)
    5150** – 5350 | Indoor use only | 120 mW (with TPC)
    5725 – 5875 | Transmission (Fixed) | 100mW/MHz up to a maximum of 2W eirp*

* Subject to registration of base stations with comreg.

Has anyone registered a personal (non business) point to point link with comreg, the form looks for business names and the like so is it restricted to businesses?

** Just noticed that the Comreg document has 5150 as the start of the third and fourth bands. Is that right?

I wouldn't turn down the output power, your getting a -65dbm signal and you don't want it any fainter than -73dbm. It's just one link, I doubht Comreg would even find out, like discussed on IrishWan, if they regulated these ridiculous limits it would probably shut down about 80% of WISPs. As for the data rate, I'd see what rates it's currently getting in auto mode before setting it manually because if it can't connect at the manually set rate for some reason it's probably gonna stay disconnected until changed or until conditions allow for the manual rate.

• Advertisement

Im going to leave it as is. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kileir

Would this equipment work to connect to a remote ip camera?

Yes, but it depends on distance and needs line of sight

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭stylers

going by that pic, your freq allocation "country code" is wrong - should be for europe. also, set the data rate just above what you need. you don't need to occupy any more spectrum than necessary. and bring down the output power. you do need a decent line of sight, don't just crank up the power to achieve the same effect. you should also set up some security on the link. you might have to set the two units identically for these settings

Advertisement