Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who do u think is the best p4p fighter in ireland?

Options
  • 01-07-2009 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

well?

Probably put my money on Greg Loughran.

Been impressed by Colin McKee recently and Chris Stringer

Don't mean to have Nordy Bias but I haven't seen as much of the southern fighters as the northern ones.

Maybe a Ref that gets around the shows might have a better perspective

Maybe a sticky thread with clips of irish fighters on it would be handy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Aisling Daly or Owen Roddy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Definitely agree on Greg Loughran.

If every fighter in the country was divided by their weight then multiplied by 70kg I think Greg would take them, assuming they survived the re-constitution process of course.

I have seen a good lot of the Southern fighters and still would put Greg ahead, though there are plenty worth a mention in this discussion.

Owen Roddy as Karl mentioned, Tom Maguire is rocking too. Stephen McCombe, and Clive Staunton should be in there, probably the best kept secret in Irish MMA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

apart from Greg two guys stand out in my opinion,Steve mc Combe and Neil Seery...John Donelly at welterweight is going to be hard to beat and we have Hugh Brady who is making a hell of a mark on the local scene.
    I think to declare a 'best of the best' you would have to be a complete fighter in all the ranges of mma.Some of the guys mentioned have outstanding strengths in stand up for example but slightly weaker ground or clinch game.
    One of my favorite fighters in the local scene was Robbie Walsh [ sorry,is Robbie Walsh ] as he was strong in all areas,he's only getting back into the sport now and getting the rust off.Phil Scollard is another who was worth the admission fee at any show.
    so....after all that rambling.....the stand out fighters and most consistent are - Greg,Colin mc kee,Steve mc Combe and Neil Seery.........in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I'd go with Greg as no 1, Steve mc well up there, the EFR have plenty of contenders for it, John Donnelly potentially, and lets not forget Tom Egan who was top rated before his UFC fight.
    and seems to be forgotten of late Owen Roddy should get a mention.

After that there is plenty of southern lads who could step up in the next year or so too and im sure the more northern lads have the same scenario.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭bella1

neil seery must be up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

Ash is like our own fedor - tearing through her competition but cant get a fight it seems (though in her case its not for the want of trying or through injuries) - she was posting over on fightgirls looking to get someone to come here for a fight in october - hopefully something will come from this

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

neil seery, i know he is as dumb as a bag of hampsters but he only weighs about 3 stone and is as hard as a turtles belly button

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Can of worms.

But, I think Steve McCoombe (BW) is awesome, great strength and conditioning, lovely rolling kneebar, solid etc. but neil seery has beaten him twice. To my eyes, Steve McCoombe looks bigger than Neil Seery so how SMcC can be considered better P4P is kinda surprising. They've both lost to the same guys too, it's not like McCoombe has beaten higher standard of opponents abroad.

It's kinda like someone saying Uriaheh Faber is one of the best P4P fighters in the world and Mike Brown isn't...

edit - i train in neil seery's gym not steve mccoombe's so biased

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Can of worms.

But, I think Steve McCoombe (BW) is awesome, great strength and conditioning, lovely rolling kneebar, solid etc. but neil seery has beaten him twice. To my eyes, Steve McCoombe looks bigger than Neil Seery so how SMcC can be considered better P4P is kinda surprising. They've both lost to the same guys too, it's not like McCoombe has beaten higher standard of opponents abroad.

Not disagreeing with you but they fight at the same weight so the difference in size is irrelevant, It should be taken into consideration that neil beat him twice but maybe Neil just has his number and certainly did both them fights.

As far as i know Steve is ranked no 4 in europe in the official rankings, anyway nobody can knock Neils name been mentioned here as he has become 1 of the most improved fighters over the last couple of years on the island basically going from unrated to been talked about here as 1 of the p4p best.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

and don't forget andreas lovbrand has beatin neil seery aswell.pity he is fighting out of sweden now and not ireland ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭angeldance

Now Jason, you already know the answer to that question....me! haha ;)

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    and don't forget andreas lovbrand has beatin neil seery aswell.pity he is fighting out of sweden now and not ireland ;-)

very close fight too. might be something worth repeating down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

angeldance wrote: »
    Now Jason, you already know the answer to that question....me! haha ;)

u are the best p4p female MMA fighter from derry who posts on here for sure :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

cowzerp wrote: »
    Not disagreeing with you but they fight at the same weight so the difference in size is irrelevant, It should be taken into consideration that neil beat him twice but maybe Neil just has his number and certainly did both them fights.

As far as i know Steve is ranked no 4 in europe in the official rankings, anyway nobody can knock Neils name been mentioned here as he has become 1 of the most improved fighters over the last couple of years on the island basically going from unrated to been talked about here as 1 of the p4p best.
    I think he got bumped up to number 3 recently..I could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Greg for me hands down.
    Steve is a good fighter but seems to come a cropper with fighters outside Ireland. Greg however performs consitantly at home and abroad. Lost only 2 in his last 12 against Alvarez and Lawson. Two very very good fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sonoflife

I think Owen Roddy, Greg Loughren, Ais Daily, Peter Wilson are some of the best pound for pound fighters in ireland....But its hard to say any fighter is pound for pound the best cuz u know what day say, styles make fights!....I think the best fighters are those who can adapt to whom ther fighting and the environment they fight in!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 koking

are people forgettin emmet mc nally what a monster,if anyone seen his fight wit clive they wouldnt rule him out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Emmett is indeed one of my favourite local fighters.

Been up and trained with his lads at Sudden Impact and they have a very tight squad.

Tommy and Ryan are top quality prospects for the future though are in liverpool at college at the moment.

Greg Loughran and Francis Heagney rematch would be a cracking fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

I've a pretty limited knowledge of the local scene, but I'd say Greg's the best active fighter at the minute (even though I dont think we'll be seeing him local for awhile, he's with Bellator now?) . He did very well against Alverez whos top dollar and has a consistent record. Tom Egan, John Donnelly and Emmet Mcnally would be next on my card as top WW's...Clive is up there but could do with more fights.

Speaking of which, any chance of an Irish promoter(s) putting together a Pride style WW tournie? That would be something for sure...n answer the question for us :D. I think nearly all of our top fighters fight or could fight at WW at the minute...Would be even more interesting if all the promoters would agree to recognise the winner as an All Ireland champ but that could be asking for too much :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 koking

Dont think anyone has mentioned rodney moore on this thread yet he was impressive againt john donnelly,also aidan marron

Advertisement