Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Sim Phones with TV

• 01-07-2009 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Morning.

I currently have a pain in the rear end from lugging about 2 phones (Work phone, & PAYG phone for free calls to the family & friends)

Walking around Moore / Parnell St yesterday, I was enquiring in the phone mender stores about Dual sim phones, and was shown a couple (tellingly, not switched on) that had TV tuners.

Im sort of a technological gobshíte, and I wasn't overly convinced by some of the responses from the salespersons (they were more interested in how much I wanted to spend rather than what I required) so I figured I'd ask the clever people here a couple of questions -

1. My sims are Meteor & o2 - will these work simultaneously in a dual sim phone? I don't fancy switching, as that would be as awkward as carrying an extra phone.
    2. Are any of them capable of internet access?
    3. Does the much heralded "tv tuner" function actually work in Ireland? It isn't a necessity, but the novelty of being able to watch the Simpsons on Rté 2 while waiting for the train would be amusing enough.

(I ask q3 because I remember years ago wanting a pocket tv for Christmas, and being told that foreign tv tuners wont work in Ireland. )

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

Alot of those "dual sim" phones are made in China and would not be of great quality. Unless it was from a brand that you have heard of ,it would maybe be best to avoid.

is this the phone?
    http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130281955705

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

Not that particular one, but it's quite similar.

I had noticed that the vast majority were unrecognisable brands. The only Dual sim phones I've previously heard of were the ones mentioned on Boards in the past like the Samsung Duo, but they aren't freely available here, and are a little price prohibitive even on the net.

The ones I was looking at were fairly low cost, and since I'll only need it til Christmas, Long life wouldn't really be an issue, I was just concerned as to whether I could use my sims simultaniously If I did buy one.

I'm not particularly fussed about style of phone, and other than the sim question, I really just wanted to know whether anyone here had bought one, and if so, did the TV work, and could they surf on it.

Thanks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

Here is another one on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170351309461&ih=007&category=3312&ssPageName=mem_guide:1&rd=1

2.none of these phones appear to have internet capability.

Test the phone out the next time. I reckon is the only way you will know for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

2fivers wrote: »
    I'm not particularly fussed about style of phone, and other than the sim question, I really just wanted to know whether anyone here had bought one, and if so, did the TV work, and could they surf on it

While I have no knowledge of those particular phones, I do know that handheld tv units tend to be quite hit-and-miss in terms of reception. You nearly need to be right beside a TV mast for decent reception.

So I would insist on seeing it in operation first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

2fivers wrote: »
    Not that particular one, but it's quite similar.

I had noticed that the vast majority were unrecognisable brands. The only Dual sim phones I've previously heard of were the ones mentioned on Boards in the past like the Samsung Duo, but they aren't freely available here, and are a little price prohibitive even on the net.

The ones I was looking at were fairly low cost, and since I'll only need it til Christmas, Long life wouldn't really be an issue, I was just concerned as to whether I could use my sims simultaniously If I did buy one.

I'm not particularly fussed about style of phone, and other than the sim question, I really just wanted to know whether anyone here had bought one, and if so, did the TV work, and could they surf on it.

Thanks though.
    I recommend you do a quick forum search in relation to dual-sim handsets, as there have been several posts over the last few months with some suggestions that you may find of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I have one, i dont own it, but it was offered to me by a guy who works abroad a few months out of the year. i messed about with it for a day or two and am waiting to give it back. it works fine with 2 sims but i've no real use for it. its also an mp3 player and has bluetooth. the tv tuner is analouge and you'd need to pick up a strong signal to watch anything, and it'd only be rte1/2 tv3 and tg4 and will become redundant when the digital switchover happens, but as you say its fine for a novelty.

he was looking to shift it for 100 and had i a dual sim use for it, i'd take it as it was a fair price. any more and its not worth it.

treat it as a dual sim phone on the cheap, with all other features a bonus.

oh and by the way this one was called nokia! doubt it ever saw the inside of a nokia factory though!

Advertisement