Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Order of top 5 in PL?

• 01-07-2009 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

For me I feel Villa slipping away slightly, and am unsure about Everton.

But if City do buy Lescott, Eto'o and Teves, expected to be announced soon by some man city fans.
    and possibly a further cb (Toure possibly) I really see them breaking into the top 5 at least and possibly higher..

Top 5 possible teams - This is to the best of my ability, if I have made any stupid mistakes let me know. I especially don't know the united formation.

Man City
    Given

Lescott
    Kompany
    Zabeleta
    Bridge
    De Jong--Ireland--Barry

Tevez---RSC/Eto'o---Robinho

Notable subs: hard to tell who will remain.

Chelsea

proposed in: Maicon, new striker (pato being the top wish)

.............................Cech.........................
    Maicon/Bosingwa....Alex.....Terry........A.Cole
    ..................Essien................Lampard.........
    ...J.Cole...................................Malouda.....
    ....................Drogba........New Striker.........

Notable subs: Ballack, Mikel, Zhirkov, Anelka, Sturridge, Ivanovic, Carvalho (or his replacement), Belletti, Turnbull, Kalou (unless he leaves).

Man United

.......................Van Der Sar..................
    Rafael..........Vidic.......Ferdinand.......Evra

Valenica.........Carrick.....Scholes/And..Park/Robben
    ........................Rooney...Berbatov/Hunt............

Notable subs: Fabio, brown, Neville, Macheda, Hargreaves

Liverpool

..........................Reina............................
    Johnson.........Carragher........Skrtel......Arbeloa/Aurelia (I forget who is who)
    .....................Masch.......Alonso..................
    Kuyt.......................Gerrard..............Riera...
    .............................Torres........................

Subs: New Second striker, Babel, Lucas, Benayoun, Agger.

Arsenal.

............................Almunia.........................
    Sagna.............Vermaelen.....Gallas.......Clichy..
    ...............................Nasri..........................
    Rosicky/Walcott..........Fabregas..........Arshavin
    ....................Van Persie.....Adebayor..............

Adebayor may leave and be replaced by Eduardo/Vela/Bendtner
    Other subs: Wilshire, Song, Denilson, Ramsey, Eboue

So tell me who will come 1st,2nd,3rd,4th and 5th (not neccesarily from this list.)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I predict a thread of United fans putting Liverpool at highest 3rd, with Liverpool fans arguing higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,461 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'm too depressed right now to predict this. Damn you Madrid.

As it stands, my inner pessimist isn't at all hopeful of a good showing from United this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

1. Liverpool
    2. Man Utd
    3. Arsenal
    4. Chelsea
    5. Everton/City/Villa/Spurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

1. united
    2. chelsea
    3. city
    4. liverpool
    5. arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Hmmm...

I'd wish for:
    1. Liverpool
    2. Arsenal
    3. Man City
    4. Aston Villa
    19. Chelsea
    20. Man Utd

But more like:
    1. Liverpool
    2. Man Utd
    3. Chelsea
    4. City
    5. Arsenal

And of course
    1. Utd
    2. Liverpool
    3. Chelsea
    4. City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

1. Liverpool
    2. Man Utd
    3. Arsenal
    4. Chelsea
    5. Everton/City/Villa/Spurs

Be careful, that's a risky decision for fifth. lol

I think its too early to start calling finishing positions for next season, who knows what players will be signed or sold over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

liverpool
    chelsea
    man utd
    man city
    arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

enviro wrote: »
    I think its too early to start calling finishing positions for next season, who knows what players will be signed or sold over the next few weeks.

QFT

Its way too early for any reasoned debate on this. The transfer window only offically opens today. Fair enough there have been some moves agreed prior to it but the majority will not happen for another couple of weeks.

Just looking at the opening post and Utd have Robben and Benzema......since when? Chelsea with Maicon, City with any name in the paper.............

Its a good idea for a thread but probably best left until the opening weekend of the season when teams will have the majority of transfers finalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

spockety wrote: »
    I predict a thread of United fans putting Liverpool at highest 3rd, with Liverpool fans arguing higher.

Indeed :)

Chelsea / United for first/second,
    Liverpool / Arsenal for third/fourth

Thats right now what I'd think. However the transfer season literally opened today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

PHB wrote: »
    Indeed :)

Chelsea / United for first/second,
    Liverpool / Arsenal for third/fourth

Thats right now what I'd think. However the transfer season literally opened today :)

But Liverpool have improved their team, United have certainly disimproved theirs. If anything it's the other way around right now, but is quite likely to swing back around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Man United

.......................Van Der Sar..................
    Rafael..........Vidic.......Ferdinand.......Evra

Valenica.........Carrick.....Scholes/And..Park/Robben
    ........................Rooney...Berbatov/Hunt............

Notable subs: Fabio, brown, Neville, Macheda, Hargreaves

I don't think United are in for Noel Hunt. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Huntelaar i meant (and swiftly changed to following this Benzema news ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I don't think United are in for Noel Hunt. :)
    Ninja edit from ShoulderChip...

it was originally "benz" :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

But Liverpool have improved their team, United have certainly disimproved theirs. If anything it's the other way around right now, but is quite likely to swing back around

Pfft, but there is no way United will have as bad a season as they had last year, they were terrible!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Can't see Citeh reaching those heights. They could possibly have the best firepower in the world eventually but their leaky defence will get them 6th at best. On current squad I'm going for:

1) Liverpool
    2) Arsenal
    3) United
    4) Arsenal

That may all change once silly season finishes up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,731 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

flanzer wrote: »
    Can't see Citeh reaching those heights. They could possibly have the best firepower in the world eventually but their leaky defence will get them 6th at best. On current squad I'm going for:

1) Liverpool
    2) Arsenal
    3) United
    4) Arsenal

That may all change once silly season finishes up

That top 4 is ridiculous, not just because you included 2 Arsenals. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

FFS, its july 1st - close this until week before season starts :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Liverpool/City

Think Man Utd might struggle alot to replace Ronaldo, not just with a player but in terms of the way that they played. Liverpool, dunno, just have a feeling that this is an awful year for them. Squad isn't as good as Utd or Chelsea's and they won't get as lucky as they did last year. Arsenal became much more of a threat once Arshavin came in and Walcott will be back for most of the season as will Eduardo. Those three players will make a bigger difference than any signing although I do expect them to get a DM in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Arsenal again being written out of the top 4. I love this thread every summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Boggles wrote: »
    That top 4 is ridiculous, not just because you included 2 Arsenals. ;)

Sorry, Chelsea at 4th!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

wait a month

Ok once this thread gets buried, I will resurrect it in a month's time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

and at that point after United have spent Ronaldos money etc ill make my prediction. Hell youve already written Villa off for even getting 5th and although with the new Man city about it will be much harder Villa havent spent a penny yet either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Pointless thread IMO :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

City - 9th

Mad Dog wrote: »
    Pointless thread IMO :confused:

seriously?
    You don't see a point in allowing people to discuss how the top teams will fare next year?

surely it has more of a point than the typical transfer tittle tattle that goes on at this time of the year.

If this can't be discussed what can be?

I can understand the argument that it is a premature thread perfectly, and in hindsight agree, but to call it pointless and to express confusion at it really strikes me as odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

seriously?
    You don't see a point in allowing people to discuss how the top teams will fare next year?

surely it has more of a point than the typical transfer tittle tattle that goes on at this time of the year.

If this can't be discussed what can be?

I can understand the argument that it is a premature thread perfectly, and in hindsight agree, but to call it pointless and to express confusion at it really strikes me as odd.

But you are discussing how last years teams will do this season when none of them will have the same squad and even before any of them have come back to pre-season training so that is why I think it is pointless at this stage.

Mad Dog wrote: »
    But you are discussing how last years teams will do this season when none of them will have the same squad and even before any of them have come back to pre-season training so that is why I think it is pointless at this stage.

That is all wrong.

Look at the squads, many of those players did not feature last year.

It is an approximation of what next years squads may be, and I admitted that I am not the best at judging these.

Also the fact that I put up squads does not mean conversation has to be limited or even mildly concerned with them. It is merely an aside.

Also you have now back-tracked to say it is only pointless at this stage, as in premature, a fact that I had already conceded before you posted.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

2017/18 Prediction:

1. Burnley - billionaire investor
    2. Arsenal
    3. Fulham
    4. Aston Villa
    5. AFC Wimbledon

Liverpool, Utd, Chelse and Man City will all have gone bust due to overwhelming loans or else due to their billionaire owners getting bored and wanting their money back, thus liquidising the club in the process.

FC Utd will be in League 1 by this time with an average gate of 12,000 and a new fan funded stadium, and AFC Liverpool will be in the Conference with an average attendance of 9,000. FC Chelsea and Man City AFC will be about 2 years into their journey towards the goal of league football.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Arsenal again being written out of the top 4. I love this thread every summer.

You should look back through this forum, after Van Nist was sold. People were putting United to finish 5th behind Spurs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

5starpool wrote: »
    2017/18 Prediction:

1. Burnley - billionaire investor
    2. Arsenal
    3. Fulham
    4. Aston Villa
    5. AFC Wimbledon

this is what i see too but arsenal will have gone bust as well though, bigger debts than liverpool atm, substitute spurs for the gunners and the future is written :p

Advertisement