Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedging Fencing, Other...

Options
  • 01-07-2009 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi,

I live in a corner house in an estate which has a grass area between the driveway and the footpath. Increasingly people are using my driveway as a shortcut as opposed to walking around the footpath and local kids seem to think it is a play area as well. So i'd like to put something up around the edge to stop people coming onto the lawn and passing in front of my window.

My question is should I plant a hedge, put up fencing, build a wall??

I'm thinking a hedge but know nothing about what type. Ideally I'd like to keep it around two feet tall and not very wide.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
    RR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

you need a rockn chair and a shot gun:D if you build a hedge will they not use it as a hurdle? it will be like the Grand national going by your house. something over 4foot would probaly stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭RebelRebel

Thanks Rocknchef... I have considered the shotgun option on several occasions alright. Very tempting still.

But the hedge would probably be better. You have a point. 2 foot would be an invitation to jump over. A wall would be an invitation to sit down and i don't want loads of kids hanging around outside sitting on a wall either.

So maybe a 4 foot hedge would work alright.
    Must have a chat at the garden center and get some advice about what would be suitable and managable.

Cheers,
    RR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Buxus Sempervirens, if you could get biggish shrubs (50 cm or so). Plenty of clipping to do eventually.

buxus_sempervirens.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭RebelRebel

Thanks Tenandtracer, That looks perfect. I'll check them out in teh gardencenter and get an Idea of how many i need etc to hedge the area.

Thanks,
    RR

Advertisement