Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning a holiday in west cork

Options
  • 01-07-2009 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi I'm planning a holiday in west cork - 1 week mid august 2 adults 2 children 1 dog. We would like rural but near beach - any recommendations? Also a lot of accomodation already booked out for that time - any suggestions on good places to stay? Dog friendly of course!
    Thanks a mill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Cassidy1

Hi definitely Clonakilty. I was there last week and it was excellent. It is only a short drive from Inchidonney beach where there is a fabulous hotel, bit expensive but very family friendly, its even themed like a pirate ship in the restaurant!

You would want to be into watersports and siteseeing though coz otherwise (unless the weather is excellent) there is nothing much else to do:) Even though it was quiet when we were there so things are probably after picking up now in their busiest months July and August!

Hope this helps.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 eleanora

Cassidy1 wrote: »
    Hi definitely Clonakilty. I was there last week and it was excellent. It is only a short drive from Inchidonney beach where there is a fabulous hotel, bit expensive but very family friendly, its even themed like a pirate ship in the restaurant!

You would want to be into watersports and siteseeing though coz otherwise (unless the weather is excellent) there is nothing much else to do:) Even though it was quiet when we were there so things are probably after picking up now in their busiest months July and August!

Hope this helps.:D

Yes thats great thanks I 'm learning a lot about the area!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Have you checked out Sandycove Beach Villas Rosscarbery , we stayed there last year , just across the road from the beach, it near Owenahincha beach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

bertie1 wrote: »
    Have you checked out Sandycove Beach Villas Rosscarbery , we stayed there last year , just across the road from the beach, it near Owenahincha beach

Ah now Owenahincha is not Rosscarbery! They are close but Owenahincha doesnt come near Ross as a place to go.

Rosscarbery is a good option with plenty of places to stay (Hotel/B&B or self catering). Good facilities for families i.e. playground, tennis court, basketball court, pitch and putt, beach and plenty of places to eat. O'Callihan Walshes is top notch for sea food but pricey but good!

Owenahincha is a dive and has always been a dive since I've been going to west cork (30years say 25 of those I remember). The "hotels" are closed (if not all of them they should be) the caravan parks are still in full swing though. So apart for the beach and a chipper there is nothing unless you get into your car. Although I will say this Castlefreake is looking really well since they started to do it up. Now if only they could do up the rest of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

There are loads of places in West Cork. The dog may be a problem in some of them though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

kayos wrote: »
    Ah now Owenahincha is not Rosscarbery! They are close but Owenahincha doesnt come near Ross as a place to go.

Rosscarbery is a good option with plenty of places to stay (Hotel/B&B or self catering). Good facilities for families i.e. playground, tennis court, basketball court, pitch and putt, beach and plenty of places to eat. O'Callihan Walshes is top notch for sea food but pricey but good!

Owenahincha is a dive and has always been a dive since I've been going to west cork (30years say 25 of those I remember). The "hotels" are closed (if not all of them they should be) the caravan parks are still in full swing though. So apart for the beach and a chipper there is nothing unless you get into your car. Although I will say this Castlefreake is looking really well since they started to do it up. Now if only they could do up the rest of the area.

I cannot agree with that , the property was 3 km from Rosscrbery Village , just across the road from the beach. The property we stayed in was spotless , top class as a matter fo fact and the grounds well kept around it. It was in a development with a kind of a meeting/ games room at the gate , there were table tennis table, pool ,table fuzzball for the older kids, swing & slide in a sanded area for the smaller ones.
    Yes the hotel was gone , there were miles of beaches just across the road , lifeguards on duty on the beach. The kids absolutely loved it there and we are going again this year.The nearest shop was 1 km at the junction for the N71 . There are woodland walks over near Castlefreake great for taking the kids & their bikes for cycling trips , excellent restaurants in Rosscarbery , child friendly as well ( especially the one on the left as you drive up from the hotel side)
    There was a surf school on the beach there the week we were there last year for the kids as well

WE really enjoyed it there last year & have booked a week again this year.
    There are tennis courts & pitch putt a short walk away along the cliff top near the warren beach.

We had a very enjoyable family holiday there and I most certainly would say that it is not a dive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

http://www.staydoggy.com/Cork.htm

That's a link to dog friendly accomodation in Cork, a few are in West Cork.

Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mountain

kayos wrote: »

Have to agree with this, owenanhinca is a kip, beach is one of the worst in the area, chipper is poor as well. If you want sand dunes, go to Long Strand, about 1 mile long, dog and kids will love it, but its not safe for swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Goleen is a lovely spot.
    Close to Barley Cove Beach & Mizen Head.

In-laws have a house down there that they rent out - PM me if interested & I'll dig out a link.
    House trained dog wouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement

frash wrote: »
    Goleen is a lovely spot.
    Close to Barley Cove Beach & Mizen Head.

In-laws have a house down there that they rent out - PM me if interested & I'll dig out a link.
    House trained dog wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks a million but I panicked about getting a place & eventually booked a place in Ballyvaughan Co Clare - mile from West Cork -
    Thanks Anyway for all the help here

Advertisement