Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Credit card Details Comprimised??

Options
  • 01-07-2009 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭

Just got a phonecall from AIB, that my credit card details were amongst credit cards whose details were comprimised.....Luckily any transactions that were made recently were made by myself and the card is now cancelled...Does this happen a lot? How were they comprimised?:mad: Anyone else receive a call?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've had it happen to me once .. got a call from the AIB first thing in the morning to say that someone had used my card on a US gambling site during the night, and was that me (the card had already been suspended as a precaution)? I said no, and the card was cancelled immediately and I received a new one within a few days. I never did discover where the perpetrators had got the card details from.

I have to say, the AIB fraud team are really on the ball with this stuff. I tried to pay a legit charge on a US web site the other day, and almost the minute I hit PAY, and got the message that my card had been denied, the phone rang. Seems they used PayPal as their card processor, and for some reason they initially 'test' the card with a $1 charge which they never confirm, just to see if the card number and details are valid. This triggers an alarm, since this is a common thing that crims do before they raid your card big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 warrenstown

Have to agree, AIB credit card security are on the ball and so is Bank of Irelands.

As to how the card was compromised...well I remember one instance a worldwide chain of hotels had it's financial systems hacked and the credit card details taken. Credit card companies around the world were busy rining and cancelling cards that week!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Happened to me recently enough. No idea how, where or when it happened as I'm generally careful enough.

Got a call from BOI Mastercard though pretty quickly that someone had tried to make a €1-nothing charge to my card from some place in Boulder, Colorado. They do this to "test" the card, but ironically now they'd better off making a large purchase as this would probably flag less.

There are all sorts of sophistacted heuristics behind this which take into account your usual buying patterns and purchase amounts. Logically, for example, if I buy groceries in Dublin today, it's unlikely that I'll be paying for gasoline in LA tomorrow morning.

I've had a card for 7 years now and that was the first time it had happened. I imagine it's relatively common - many companies don't even have the ability to detect if/when their data has been compromised, so you're unlikely to know about it until you get a call from the security team. Making purchases at the till now, you're relatively safe because of chip & PIN, but if you're making online purchases, there's always the risk that the online retailer will be compromised and they don't need your PIN to make purchases.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

+1 for the AIB Fraud team. I spotted a couple of unknown transactions on my account (totalling about €3.5K) on a Monday that had been posted to my account on the previous Friday.

Rang them up, and gave the details, new cards, PINs and disclaimer form recieved by the following Thursday and account refunded on the Friday.

Granted I did have to ring them, but I do a lot of transactions via the Internet, so it didn't get flagged. It was the first time I had "used" a shipping company in India though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Thanks all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I bought a digital camera from Pixmania at 2am one morning.

At 10am AIB were on to me querying it.

They certainly do seem to be on the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

They are good.

A few years back my mother was in New York, on a shopping spree, and they froze her card. Ok, it was inconvenient and required a few expensive phone calls, but they were being careful which is always a good thing. She went to New York again recently and rang them beforehand to let them know she was going :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

AIB Credit Cards are tops. I too bought an electrical item from Pixmania and they rang me to confirm all was in order. Also one time I went to use my credit card in a garage and the card was refused but the terminal told the merchant to call a fraud number immediately without letting me know, they handed the phone to me and asked me to verify my details and told me that my card had been used in Spain 2 minutes previously - I told them that my wife was there and was an additional user on my card. They allowed the transaction and I freaked my wife out when I rang her to ask her what she had just bought in Massimo Dutti in Spain !

Advertisement