Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Repossession Moratorium

Options
  • 01-07-2009 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I was reading another thread (last post February) discussing the likelihood of a repossession moratorium being introduced as a requirement of the bank bailout. The newest info I found on Google was an Irish Times article from around the same time, again this was saying that a moratorium was likely. I did come across reports of repossessions taking place.

If it is in place, when did it start and when does it expire? Would it's expiration have an effect on house prices and to what extent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

eman66 wrote: »
    I was reading another thread (last post February) discussing the likelihood of a repossession moratorium being introduced as a requirement of the bank bailout. The newest info I found on Google was an Irish Times article from around the same time, again this was saying that a moratorium was likely. I did come across reports of repossessions taking place.

If it is in place, when did it start and when does it expire? Would it's expiration have an effect on house prices and to what extent?

yes it is in place 12 months for the 6 main banks and i believe they are enforcing 6 months on the other lenders.

in terms of an effect on house prices its unlikely to have any. Just check the detail on the number of reposessions that have taken place. Even with the increse its tiny. I read something last week that of the 96 reposession orders granted by the high court recently the lenders have only actually taken back ownership of 18 of the properties having worked out structured deals on the others despite getting the repo orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

Thanks. When did it come into effect? Would there not be a dramatic increase in repossession orders when the moratorium expires and a subsequent correlating increase in the number of actual repossessions? And would this not have at least some effect on prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Those were the cases from '07 and before that i believe?

The recent difficulties of the last year of growing unemployment have not hit the courts yet for obvious reasons as stated by D3PO so you just have to wait for the avalanche to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Thanks. When did it come into effect? Would there not be a dramatic increase in repossession orders when the moratorium expires and a subsequent correlating increase in the number of actual repossessions? And would this not have at least some effect on prices?

too lazy to check when it came :D

as with everythin yes its likely to have some effect but it will be small. the numbe rof repos before the moratorium was relatively low anyway so its not like there will be thousands of repos immediatly anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Here are the key bits: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0623/1224249339958.html
    THE ANTICIPATED “avalanche” of home repossessions has not started yet, the master of the High Court Edmund Honohan has warned, as the number of orders granted by the High Court continued yesterday at record level for 2009.

He said the number of repossession cases was increasing weekly and, because a moratorium was currently in place, the worst was yet to come.

Mr Honohan said the majority of cases related to mortgages which had been taken out in 2007 and as a result, there would be an “avalanche” of new cases “come next October”.

In February of this year, he warned of a dramatic rise in repossession court cases, saying few cases so far were related to job loss.

He warned that the cases would continue to rise unless “they go to the Circuit Court or houses start to sell”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement