Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last night's Channel4 Dispatches: Terror on Mumbai

Options
  • 01-07-2009 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else see it?

I thought it was an eye-opener to any out there who still suspects the Pakistan origins of the terrorist group and the mindless cruelty and savagery of the terrorist organizations and how they operate with 'remote control killers'.

Team of 10 young Pakistani men was trained, armed and directed from kill-to-kill in such a bone chilling fashion. Shooting down innocent civilians including other Muslims!

Young boy who saw both his parents being gunned down, wife riddled while picking up an infant - the human stories behind the casualty figures - It was truly unbearable to watch!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

yeah, i saw it and thought it was good. interesting to hear all the orders been given over the phone. Fcukers IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

yeah I saw it too. Horrendous to watch - the little 2 year old waking up an orphan was too awful for words. I can't understand though how 10 gunmen caused such mayhem over such a long period of time without any real police action. I thought the police in the train station were a disgrace. Also how come there was no security presence in these top 5 star hotels?
    It was awful listening to the survivors telling their stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

jcsmum wrote: »
    yeah I saw it too. Horrendous to watch - the little 2 year old waking up an orphan was too awful for words. I can't understand though how 10 gunmen caused such mayhem over such a long period of time without any real police action. I thought the police in the train station were a disgrace. Also how come there was no security presence in these top 5 star hotels?
    It was awful listening to the survivors telling their stories.

See events like this open up a lot of arguments, should private security firms be armed for example.
    The only thing, having not seen the programme, that I have a problem with the cops for is how long the attacks went on for, not that they happened. Imagine 10 people doing the same in Dublin, they could probably kill more people, but it would be over in half an hour.

But yeah, horrible, horrible events but I made a conscious decision not to watch the programme last night. Was there much graphic footage shown?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

There was plenty of graphic footage (blood, dead bodies and even cctv footage of live action and poor victims taking the hit and collapsing to the ground), but the facec of that poor little boy and the casual attitude of the killers to taking orders and gunning down people (you can hear the Israeli couple being shot on phone) kept haunting me for many hours last night..!

I too was baffled by the lack of a rapid reaction force in India - while it might be a developing country / third word etc, India can no longer ignore its importance in world political area, and how much of a sitting duck they are for Islamic terrorists.

In fact I was even more surprised that with such clear and convincing evidence at hand, why did it take them so long to get some co-operation out of Pakistan? Indian PR mechanism must be really cr*p - otherwise they could have staged an honest international conference and could have easily cornered Pakistan into doing all they can to get rid of the militia organizations.

While 'Islamic Militancy' is new to West, India has been fighting this since 1989 (I think). World didn't listen because India was on the wrong side (Russia) and Americans were too busy funding and training Taliban to fight the evil "commies". Sigh..!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

positron wrote: »
    There was plenty of graphic footage (blood, dead bodies and even cctv footage of live action and poor victims taking the hit and collapsing to the ground), but the facec of that poor little boy and the casual attitude of the killers to taking orders and gunning down people (you can hear the Israeli couple being shot on phone) kept haunting me for many hours last night..!

I too was baffled by the lack of a rapid reaction force in India - while it might be a developing country / third word etc, India can no longer ignore its importance in world political area, and how much of a sitting duck they are for Islamic terrorists.

In fact I was even more surprised that with such clear and convincing evidence at hand, why did it take them so long to get some co-operation out of Pakistan? Indian PR mechanism must be really cr*p - otherwise they could have staged an honest international conference and could have easily cornered Pakistan into doing all they can to get rid of the militia organizations.

While 'Islamic Militancy' is new to West, India has been fighting this since 1989 (I think). World didn't listen because India was on the wrong side (Russia) and Americans were too busy funding and training Taliban to fight the evil "commies". Sigh..!!

Glad I didn't watch it so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Another sterling piece of work from Dispaches, but tough viewing all the same.

It was frightening to listen to the gunmen talk to their masters in Pakistan. The callousness in the voice of the guy telling to gunman to shoot his hostages and then listening to the gunshot was chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

Powerful piece of television. I guess the part where police called for armed back-up when they were surrounded by bullets just yards from a police station and it didn't arrive for 40 minutes sums up the inadequacies really. Those phone calls were chilling.

Advertisement