Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Import cars

• 01-07-2009 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Where would be the best place in Dublin to buy an Import car . Thinkin of a Skyline but mind not made up yet .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Japan might be a better bet than dublin :D

Market is flooded with cars like this. Try looking around, autotrader, pistonheads, buy and sell, dtdirl .........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ones that are already imported and registered will be way cheaper than bringing one in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 johnroake

colm_mcm wrote: »
    ones that are already imported and registered will be way cheaper than bringing one in now.

i dont know about that, i mean you can get cars of japnese auction sites for very cheap and even with all the costs here you still work out at bout 2k or 3k cheaper.

for instance when i was gonna bring in a 00 altezza it was costing me 4500k to buy the car in japan, 750euro to ship it, then a few grand clearence costs. it total it was costing me bout 8k to bring it over cleared and everything, that is about 5k cheper than they were selling for at the time

try www.tradecarview.com, they have everything you want, they even work out shipping costs and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

try google
    http://www.gcar.co.jp/gbtrader/
    rushcorp
    tradecar view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

johnroake wrote: »
    that is about 5k cheper than they were selling for at the time

At the time is the big thing here, that would have been a year ago atleast, these days Altezza's can be picked up cheap here in Ireland.

Then add to the fact that the exchange rate changes have made buying a car in yen a lot more expensive not to mention that it would fall into the new VRT rate of 36%

So as of today it doesn't make sense to import a car from Japan unless your after something special thats not available in Ireland and your willing to pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

johnroake wrote: »
    for instance when i was gonna bring in a 00 altezza it was costing me 4500k to buy the car in japan, 750euro to ship it, then a few grand clearence costs. it total it was costing me bout 8k to bring it over cleared and everything, that is about 5k cheper than they were selling for at the time

try www.tradecarview.com, they have everything you want, they even work out shipping costs and stuff.
    I'm familiar with tradecarview, and regularly calculate the costs, but unfavourable exchange rate, max 36% VRT for non European spec cars, 21.5% VAT, customs, and shipping now make the cars more expensive than the cars for sale in Ireland.
    Your example the Altezza has seen a dramatic drop in price lately as have cars like the DC5, making importing them unfeasible.

draffodx wrote: »
    At the time is the big thing here, that would have been a year ago atleast, these days Altezza's can be picked up cheap here in Ireland.

Then add to the fact that the exchange rate changes have made buying a car in yen a lot more expensive not to mention that it would fall into the new VRT rate of 36%

So as of today it doesn't make sense to import a car from Japan unless your after something special thats not available in Ireland and your willing to pay for it.

What he said. You can buy pre-imported cars. Here or in the UK for a fraction of what you can import them for.

Now Japan has dropped prices but after you add taxes it is still much more expensive than here.

Where UK cars are cheaper is the UKDM will be far cheaper than an imported japanese model. Depending on modifications the fact its a uk model may make no difference whatsoever.

The best thing you could do is join the club associated with the car and look at there for sale section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

Mentioned above is Tradecarview,Stay away from these guys as their the most expensive people in Jpn and operate as agents not an actual dealer.

As also mentioned you'd get a better bargin buying private at the moment in saying that why a skyline,Ugly car IMO and hardly tax or fuel friendly for the power you get.

Give my mate Wez a car in WKDimports.com,He doesnt put all his stockon the site but I think anyone in the know will agree he imports the best cars in the country.

Tell him NCT Mick put you onto him;)

if you buying from wkd and looking for that kind of car try
    http://www.driftworks.com/forum/powervehicles/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

if you buying from wkd and looking for that kind of car try
    http://www.driftworks.com/forum/powervehicles/

Wez is Andys agent over here,Anything from Andy comes through Wez first.

Wez also carrys standard stock,Dont be put off by the mental cars on his site,LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

+1 for wkd imports

I've been in two cars that came from wez and they were absolutely A1. Not a thing wrong with them and both spotless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Make that 3 cars now :)

All in top condition

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mini mouse

+1 for Wez......tis the only man to go to!!
    worth the treck from dublin to go see him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭david....

TheStig#1 wrote: »
    Where would be the best place in Dublin to buy an Import car . Thinkin of a Skyline but mind not made up yet .

dont buy from jap car dublin
    read this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055030166

or any more in jap importers in dublin ( there all the 1 sellin usless sh1t)

the only good 1 around dublin are wkd imports in carlow.

and if your buying a jap car ( always ask for a auction sheet ) and if they say it lost or you wont understand it its in japaneese ( thats bull )

does any1 know what happend to a-spec imports in waterford
    they were often selling the same cars as jap cars in dublin too!!

so take my advice :D

Advertisement