Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 01-07-2009 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I bought a new rifle 2 weeks ago, i traded in my old one so i all i needed to do was get the license amended but here i am after two weeks still waiting. Do i just keep at them or keep waiting? or should i try get in touch with the super? I'm also on a few days holidays so was planning on going to a range to tune up so you can imagine how feed up i am.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Was it same calibre for same calibre? (ie ; .22 for another .22). If so they should have done it there and then. If not and you signed a new application for a higher calibre then it will have to go through the normal channels and with it being so close to renewal time you could be looking at 6-8 weeks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

ezridax wrote: »
    Was it same calibre for same calibre? (ie ; .22 for another .22). If so they should have done it there and then. If not and you signed a new application for a higher calibre then it will have to go through the normal channels and with it being so close to renewal time you could be looking at 6-8 weeks.
    Sorry i should have said it was .22wmr for a .17hmr. When i handed it in he said there was no problem 3 or 4 days i would have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

A friend of mine went from a .22 air rifle to .17hmr and they just amended it, and that was only a month ago.

I rang again he's on leave now so i'm going to try the super tomorrow:mad:

Sounds to me that the FO is away on either sick leave or holidays. If thats the case then the licence is most likely sitting in the station until he comes back. You do not need the FO to sign it, any Garda can its just that most will not bother getting involved with anything to do with firearms. So either wait till the FO returns or go to the station in person and ask anyone to sign and stamp the licence. Don't let them tell you it has to wait till the FO comes back. Be pushy but polite.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

You do not need the FO to sign it, any Garda can its just that most will not bother getting involved with anything to do with firearms.

Only if the Garda has been authorised by the Super to do so. To do an amendment even the FO has to be authorised to do it (although AFAIK they normally are).

My local station has the grand total of 2 Gardai on alternating 8 hour shifts. Neither are FOs or even firearm savy. When last in with them they asked me what they had to do. If i'm applying for a new firearm i fill in the paperwork with them and they pass it on to the FO in the main station 20 miles away. The last time i had one of them ring the FO in the main station to clarify a technicality in amending one of my licences rather than get a call later to be told i should not have gotten done what i did and have it revoked for a time or worse again permanently.

Sorry for being vague but i don't want to name names or stations. My point is any Garda can amend a firearms cert. If you are correct IRLConnor (and i'm sure you are) a phone call to the super will get authorisation straight away so greenpeter shouldn't have to wait weeks, days or even hours to get his licence amended.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Sorry for being vague but i don't want to name names or stations.

No problem at all.
    My point is any Garda can amend a firearms cert. If you are correct IRLConnor (and i'm sure you are) a phone call to the super will get authorisation straight away so greenpeter shouldn't have to wait weeks, days or even hours to get his licence amended.

Definitely, he shouldn't be left waiting. I'd just be wary of any Garda amending the cert since if they weren't authorised to do so greenpeter might have issues at renewal time. I've heard many stories of amendments being made to certs only to have a cert for the old gun to come out at renewal time which means another trip to the station to persuade them to amend it.

BTW, the section covering amendments is (to the best of my knowledge) Section 11 of the Firearms Act, 1964.

I rang a few times today and finaly got sorted. The FO is off for a few days and i would have been left waiting if i didn't keep the pressure on. Thanks for the replys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

IRLConor wrote: »
    Only if the Garda has been authorised by the Super to do so. To do an amendment even the FO has to be authorised to do it (although AFAIK they normally are).

I was having a firearms cert amended a while back, the simple straightforward calibre for calibre one, any ways i was refused by the garda on the desk as they told me that they couldnt do it-however the sargeant on overhearing this went into a rant :eek: telling the desk garda that as it was a substitution it was okay, the garda on the desk signed it on behalf of the sergeant:confused:

• Advertisement

I know a few who can get it done there and then but not in my station its just look of the draw i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Killguru

Call the Superintendant or licence person or whatever. Then call him the next day. Then six hours later. Then call again. And again. Plague him.

When hes asks "Why are you calling so much?" Just say "Where's the licence?"

The fact is that they are lazy and they need to learn that they will have more donut eating time if they get the licence as fast as they can. Its his JOB. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Just to let you know greenpeter, I was waiting almost 6 weeks to go from .22lr to .22wmr:mad: They can drag their heels alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Thats terrible,should be straight forward on the spot scribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Well some of them feel like they need to justify their positions:mad:!! The FO said he needed to inspect the .22wmr in the shop to see if it was what I claimed it to be.

1 How could that take 6 weeks??

2 When licence was finally changed and I went to collect the dealer told me nobody ever came to inspect it.

What gives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

kakashka wrote: »
    Thats terrible,should be straight forward on the spot scribble

Thats all very well Kakashka,your very much correct on that but you seem to be forgeting one very important thing,this is Ireland your talking about here. We dont do logic over in this part of the world. Im very surprised at you even suggesting this type of efficiency from any players in our justice system.

pajero2005 wrote: »
    Well some of them feel like they need to justify their positions:mad:!! The FO said he needed to inspect the .22wmr in the shop to see if it was what I claimed it to be.

1 How could that take 6 weeks??

2 When licence was finally changed and I went to collect the dealer told me nobody ever came to inspect it.

What gives?
    Awh for Gawd sake
    What your RFD claimed it to be surely??thats crazy

thedragon wrote: »
    Thats all very well Kakashka,your very much correct on that but you seem to be forgeting one very important thing,this is Ireland your talking about here. We dont do logic over in this part of the world. Im very surprised at you even suggesting this type of efficiency from any players in our justice system.
    I can honestly say having lived in a so called communist country ruled by a dictator that in some aspects they are pussys compared to IRL

Advertisement