Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tool?

• 01-07-2009 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Why does everyone hate tool?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Do they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I love them. Each to their own. Plenty of music I don't like that a lot of other people do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Depp wrote: »
    Starting a thread with a sweeping generalisation is not a good idea. Everyone does not hate Tool. They have sold over 9 million albums in the USA alone so they must have some fans over there for example :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

this thread = fail/borderline trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GeorgeCostanza

I don't either... love 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I can take em or leave em to be honest! I'd get back in to Opiate and Undertow and then not listen for six months and feel like I haven't missed anything. Odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I think they're ****e but each to their own!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

i love em. love opiate, undertow and aenima. feel there has been a little self indulgent wankery on some of the latter albums but more than enough on em to keep me happy.

While we are making sweeping generalisations why does everyone hate mettalica?? ha ha

Nah its just me but you can see how stoopid it sounds eh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

They're hugely popular. You can't get tickets for love nor money anytime they play Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I got tickets (for money) for the ozzfest they ended up headlining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭GlindaGale

Depp wrote: »

Really? I thought I was the only one. I'm of the opinion that most people love them, I'm always getting attacked when I say I hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

Absolutely nothing against Tool.

Unfortunately, like Slayer, I find their fanbase quite detestable.

&-E wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing against Tool.

Unfortunately, like Slayer, I find their fanbase quite detestable.
    In my experience some of their more enthusiastic fans can be quite off-putting but that applies to every band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

SO as someone who only knows the song "Schism" and thinks its great. What Tool songs would you recommend I listen to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Very odd question, I don't think most people hate Tool at all.
    malice_ wrote: »
    In my experience some of their more enthusiastic fans can be quite off-putting but that applies to every band.

I'd agree there, there's a lot of bands that's true for. God knows, I'm a huge fan of Meshuggah, but some of the fans can be right jerks.
    Vegeta wrote: »
    SO as someone who only knows the song "Schism" and thinks its great. What Tool songs would you recommend I listen to?

Get the album Lateralus. It's best heard as a whole.

I'd agree with KH and recommend Lateralus.

Also take a look at Sober from Undertow. It's a great video and a great song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I certainly don't hate Tool but I can see why people do, some people just don't have any time for 'em, the old marmite effect.

Also Keenan comes across as an absolute wanker so that can't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

If the music's good I don't care if the person who made it is a prick.

Schism wrote: »
    I certainly don't hate Tool but I can see why people do, some people just don't have any time for 'em, the old marmite effect.

Also Keenan comes across as an absolute wanker so that can't help.
    Funny, I always thought you would have been a big Tool fan what with your username and all :).

malice_ wrote: »
    Funny, I always thought you would have been a big Tool fan what with your username and all :).

Nah, I just had a thing for that song so I thought it'd be a good user name. ;)

Like they've got some excellent songs, some real epics, but they're not the be all and end all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

i think theyre great love stinkfist, most of my frends detest them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rattlenhum

Fantastic band. If you have a good sound system, they'll blow you away. I've never met anyone who openly hated them! Apart from the people here of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I think there's more of a joking prejudice against the stereotypical rabid Tool fan than against the band themselves.

I think they're deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

As Schism said, the marmite affect, I always thought they were a love 'em or hate 'em band, based on people I know's opinions of them.

I absolutely love them but I completely agree about the "Tool Fan" thing. Maybe thats part of why some people have a bad opinion of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

I'd recommend the patient off lateralus. One of my favourite tunes ever, not just by tool.

A lot of people I know that hate them haven't listened to them.

Speaking as a fan, I do sometimes find it hard to sit through a full album.

whiterob81 wrote: »
    I'd recommend the patient off lateralus. One of my favourite tunes ever, not just by tool.

A lot of people I know that hate them haven't listened to them.

Speaking as a fan, I do sometimes find it hard to sit through a full album.

The Patient is an excellent song, not rated enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ninwilky

I absolutely adore them and alot of my friends who might not like them at least respect their talent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ShotgunblueZ

I think Tool are fantastic - - one of my favourite bands - - they have gotten me into such bands as Isis, Melvins, Ghost, Messugah, Fantomas etc. etc.

I have to admit to liking their 'at times pretension' - - **** it - - there's nothing wrong with been confident of your work...

I do hope they come over to Ireland again soon - - the new Point Depot's sound n' set-up would be worthy methinks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

Go with what you like.

They're a great band (a truism). I'm stating, what I think to be obvious, because it's only your opinion that matters when it comes to listening.

Advertisement