Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tool?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I read somewhere that Tool songs are mostly chords that are played really close to each other. I find that they're music relies on some very tired metal and blues trops, for example halftone progressions and standard pentatonic. The main guitar sound they use is a bit too much like sandpaper in texture. That said their lyrics are somewhat interesting and there is an element of contemplative melancholia which I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

every band have certain chords and notes they follow. tool are no different. we all know a U2 song when we hear it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Depp wrote: »
    Why does everyone hate tool?
    I don't. I think they're brilliant. JMK comes accross a bit arrogant in interviews. But that's completely seperate to the music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Vegeta wrote: »
    SO as someone who only knows the song "Schism" and thinks its great. What Tool songs would you recommend I listen to?
    Pretty much anything off of Lateralus- The Grudge, Parabola, Ticks and Leeches.
    From the other albums; Prison Sex, Sober(Undertow)
    AEnima(Aenima)
    Vicarious, The Pot, Jambi(10,000 Days)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Anna Molly

I absolutely love Tool.
    My life would be dull without them,

and A PERFECT CIRCLE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

not really a fan of tool tbh, although i did quite like 10,000 days the album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I read somewhere that Tool songs are mostly chords that are played really close to each other. I find that they're music relies on some very tired metal and blues trops, for example halftone progressions and standard pentatonic. The main guitar sound they use is a bit too much like sandpaper in texture. That said their lyrics are somewhat interesting and there is an element of contemplative melancholia which I like.

What you read was not true. A lot of their stuff is relatively complex, and not a bunch of bog standard stuff thrown together. A lot of their riffs are not chord based at all, more single notes, arpeggios and some very atmospheric lead-type guitar.

Advertisement