Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends In Letterkenny.........

Options
  • 01-07-2009 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

OK, i have now lived in Letterkenny a year, and to this day i have to say i do not know anybody or have anybody to go out with / have a laugh with etc.

Now i live with my girlfriend but i'm currently unemployed so can't go out much to meet people as have no money, plus i'm quite shy around people i don't know, so finding new friends is hard for me.

I am of english nationality, and when i lived in england i had a good few friends that i could go out with / have a laugh with, and that was no problem.

Trouble is its hard to find people with similar interests etc here and having now been a year without that social interaction i feel maybe i could have lost some of those social skills i once had.

I'm a regular guy i guess, like a pint, game of pool / snooker, love football, movies, video games etc, so surely there must be people who share similar interests in letterkenny?

I don't want this to sound like a desperate plea for friends from a lonesome loser but would be good to know people that have similar interests etc in and around Letterkenny.

Maybe some of you are in the same boat as me?

Anyway if you are one of these people, you share similar interests etc then leave me a message and maybe we can all increase our social circles lol, meet up for pint or whatever.

Maybe this thread could act as a hub for people with similar interests who live in letterkenny to increase their social circles.

PS I'm not an axe wielding maniac on a rampage LOL.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Jeez - welcome to the club!

I guess I'm a bit older than you, but in the same kind of boat, and I grew up here!
    Once I got married and the kids came along, my social life faded fast. Add to that that I work away from home for half a week, every week, I can be knackered when I get back!

I'm sure you're not alone. I can be difficult to build a new circle of friends.

Have you considered doing some voluntary work? It's a great way to meet new people. Have a look in the back of The Dealer to see some of the Voluntary Groups that are in the town, i.e. youth groups, drama, Samaritans etc.
    Ok, so you don't get paid, but you're not working atm, so what not give it a go? You'll meet loads of new people, and pick up new skills.

Had a quick google and found this site: http://www.volunteer.ie/ it has loads of good opportunities in Letterkenny.

Let us know how you get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

mrmac wrote: »
    Jeez - welcome to the club!

Have you considered doing some voluntary work? It's a great way to meet new people. Have a look in the back of The Dealer to see some of the Voluntary Groups that are in the town, i.e. youth groups, drama, Samaritans etc.
    Ok, so you don't get paid, but you're not working atm, so what not give it a go? You'll meet loads of new people, and pick up new skills.

Had a quick google and found this site: http://www.volunteer.ie/ it has loads of good opportunities in Letterkenny.

Let us know how you get on?

+ 1 for this suggestion. Volunteering is a great way to meet people, it really helps your community, it builds your own self esteem AND it looks really good on your CV. What more could you ask for out of a few hours a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you have an interest in sport why not go along to some of the football or athletic clubs and mix a bit and offer to help out if you have any coaching skills or simply traveling to supervise under age teams on away trips.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

voluntary work is an avenue i have considered, however i am restricted somewhat as i do not have a car so getting to some places is hard.

I am going back to college as a mature student after the summer to further myself (as there are no jobs) and hopefully will meet people that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

Honestly, your best bet is wait till the footie starts and get yourself to the cavern, or any of the footy pubs. If your a fan of any of the major teams (or even just a footie fan as you stated) you'll soon start recognising, and be recognised. Footies a while off yet, and its not ideal i know, but it will work, trust me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

I can see what you mean OP, the difference between making friends over here and when you lived in England is that you were younger over there, you grew up over there, its much easier to have a broader base of friends when your growing up and much easier to talk to people.

Im living in Buncrana, i still have a few friends around but i don't go out as much as i used to, most of my friends have either gone to America or Australia, it also doesn't help that I have a gf and the few friends that i do have left around here also have gf's.
    Just get to the pub when the footy is on, you will deffo meet people, or even join a man u/l'pool/chelsea supporters club or whatever.

You did say ur headin back to college, so you will probably meet people there and i know its not easy gettin a job these days but if you do find one, you will get to know the people in work.
    btw i think the voluntary work thing is a good idea. It cant hurt to try it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

If there's a drama group or something like that you could join that. If not would you consider setting one up yourself? I joined the Boards drama group here in Dublin and it's a good way of meeting new people. PM some of the Boards drama group mods if you want any info/advice on setting up or running a drama group. They're a very friendly bunch who would have no problem giving you advice.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

If anyone happens to be in Ramelton tonight (Sat), this boards member is playing in the Bridge Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

If there's a drama group or something like that you could join that. If not would you consider setting one up yourself? I joined the Boards drama group here in Dublin and it's a good way of meeting new people. PM some of the Boards drama group mods if you want any info/advice on setting up or running a drama group. They're a very friendly bunch who would have no problem giving you advice.
    Best of luck.

I've enough drama in my life....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Watching soaps on tv doesn't count!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Mac055

Homer Simpson.. i feel your pain, but there's hope for you.. i lived in Letterkenny for 5 years. I too went back as a mature student.. and made some life long friends while at college.. i worked part time in a video shop too and made some great friends there.. so keep the faith:)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

I read the original post with great interest.

I don't know if I have much to offer that hasn't been mentioned already, but I do find it interesting the way our needs for a social life change over time.

A few weeks back I was down the country for the 30th of an ex-housemate and there were a few of her nursing class there that I hadn't seen for years. And we had a great old time. And, afterwards, I was reflecting on how I don't go out as often as I used to, back then, and how I don't even notice it.

It would never have occured to me to write the original post, but when I read it, I thought: "yeah, I could do with meeting some new people"

Anyway, I do wish the OP luck. In my experience (ten years worth) LetterK is a good town for meeting people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

So is there going to be a mini-boards get together coming up soon??

I'm in the same boat, boyfriend off at college so it's just me and the dog at home!!!!
    It's hard to meet people in this town... i've joined a few clubs but i still find people a little stand offish...

I'm a young lady, interested in shopping, drinking and general socalising!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 letterkennyguy

find myself in same boat as others here, living in lk , mid 30's mates all married or moved away lookin to meet new ppl to have a bit of craic with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

The local GAA team always like help, just go along or try the Rugby team.

Big Smile and you will be fine

Advertisement