Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or is it addictive?

Options
  • 01-07-2009 12:48pm

Despite the fact that I have the country's highest mountain range and a glorious national park on my doorstep, I was the ultimate couch potato until the end of last year. Don't get me wrong, I have driven down every road in Munster and love scenery, but from the comfort of my car. Was eventually shamed into getting out and about by one particular city based friend who pointed out what I was missing.

But now I think I'm addicted to it. Started off with the odd trek along a road at weekends, got more and more adventurous and heading off across hills and valleys. Now I'm scanning weather reports and wondering on the viability of getting up and down a certain hill before sunset on weeknights. Or thinking of the next challenge. And the wife has caught the bug too. I look forward to weekends, not for the booze and parties, but to be fighting some wind on the edge of a cliff or ridge. I enjoy pottering around shops comparing equipment and prices. I find myself looking through bookshops for works by Herzog or Bonington. Or even just searching the web for pics of strangely named places like the Devil's Thumb or Changabang...not that I'm planning on heading there or anything (I haven't even camped out yet, and the wife likes her hotel room) but to see how others have pushed themselves. So is it just me or does everyone get this adrenaline rush from the whole thing?

Comments

no, it's not just you, and yes it is addictive.
    you feel great after a good day on the hills, even a bad day, in good gear can be very enjoyable.

word of caution, think it's bad now, wait til you discover the Alps,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

yes it's addictive, and great.

I'd rather spend 30mins - hour in the car to go walking anywhere up a mountain in wicklow than just walk along the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

no, it's not just you, and yes it is addictive.
    you feel great after a good day on the hills, even a bad day, in good gear can be very enjoyable.

word of caution, think it's bad now, wait til you discover the Alps,

+1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

For me it's one of the best things in the world. You can't beat sitting on top of a mountain looking out across green fields, rivers and other mountains. Not a care in the world and no-one around (usually) to spoil the moment. It's addictive. Can't wait for the weekend, kerry here I come :)

Great for the fitness as well.

Eidt to say, I have all those books to and i find myself actually going into towns and city centers now to shop in activity stores. I'd have avoided towns and shops like the plague before, I never understood why women liked it so much, now I kind of know a small bit.

Another bit of it I love. The maps.

Until I started hiking, I had forgotten what fun can be had by simply looking at a map. That's sounds almost childish perhaps, but there's just something about it. It's almost like being a kid, reading Swallows and Amazons, how they mapped out the lake, or that map that everyone remembers from the Hobbit.

And another thing I've discovered. The joy of coffee. Can never drink coffeee at home or restaurant. But on a cold mountain top, it's just great.

• Advertisement

some early signs of addiction..........

-you take out a subscription to Bergsteiger...but only know about 30 words of German, still the photos are nice

http://www.bergsteiger.de/

-you have more Cicerone titles than any bookshop you know

http://www.cicerone.co.uk/

-you know all the staff in Great Outdoors by their first name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

You can subscribe to outsider magazine as well for €24 a year, you get 6 magazines delivered a year, address is outsider.ie

There is also walking world Ireland magazine, google for the address. I am not subscribed to this, but I have bought copies before in shops. Interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Another bit of it I love. The maps.

Until I started hiking, I had forgotten what fun can be had by simply looking at a map. That's sounds almost childish perhaps, but there's just something about it. It's almost like being a kid, reading Swallows and Amazons, how they mapped out the lake, or that map that everyone remembers from the Hobbit.

And another thing I've discovered. The joy of coffee. Can never drink coffeee at home or restaurant. But on a cold mountain top, it's just great.

You too?:eek: I have all the OS maps for the North West (I live there) and often spend half an hour or more poring over them, looking at relative distances, triangulating (roughly) where things are in relation to other places, and wondering why two places the same distance from me feel like one is close and the other miles further away. It's nothing to do with orienteering or anything. I just find them fascinating. Some day I'll cover a wall with them all joined up and cover them with perspex.:D

By the way, I came across this forum because I bought a mountain bike a while back and got the itch for some other outdoor activities so I'm heading camping soon and I'm considering a canoe. Must be addictive:D.

Advertisement