Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Dublin throttling Flash video??

Options
  • 01-07-2009 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Anyone else experiencing this? I'm on the 3Mb package in Dublin 1. Everything has worked fine for 7-8 months up to now.

Youtube has become unusable for me as it only buffers 1 minute or so at a time, then I have to manually skip forward to get the next minute. I presume I'm diagnosing it correctly. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Youtube can be slow the odd time, I dought there's any throttling going on. I'll get the same thing on youtube and if I go to vimeo and I can play the hd streams with out a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

I'm resurrecting this thread as I'm hoping someone might be able to diagnose the problem.

The problem is occurring on all streaming media and on any downloads more than about 1.5 MB carried on in my browser whereby the speed is grand up until about 1.5 MB (or a 30-40s in for video and audio streams) and then just stops and doesn't buffer any further on. In the case of downloads they just stop accepting any more data but don't report any errors. Pausing/resuming has no effect but Flashget works around the downloads for me.

However the Youtube and other streaming media issue is very irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

have you tried more than one browser? sounds very much like it oculd be a dodgy flash install or browser caching issue to me.

do you find it's happening at specific times?

i'm on the 20mbps package in navan, but i have trouble streaming apple movie trailers to my xbox in the evenings without a lot of buffering, but it seems more like contention to me as I have the same trouble with pretty much any kind of streaming, inc. youtube etc. after about 6-7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

vibe666 wrote: »
    have you tried more than one browser? sounds very much like it oculd be a dodgy flash install or browser caching issue to me.

do you find it's happening at specific times?

i'm on the 20mbps package in navan, but i have trouble streaming apple movie trailers to my xbox in the evenings without a lot of buffering, but it seems more like contention to me as I have the same trouble with pretty much any kind of streaming, inc. youtube etc. after about 6-7pm.

EDIT: Firmware update on router sorted it.Thanks for the help anyway.

Advertisement