Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thawing Chicken

Options
  • 01-07-2009 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I forgot to take a couple of chicken breasts out of the freezer last night so i put them in the fridge this morn (they're wrapped in clingfilm). I know they'll take ages to thaw out so im wondering can i leave them out covered for a couple of hours or would that be risky...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

take them out of clingfilm,put between 2 plates or similar ,they be ok out of fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

thanks for the reply, i was thinking that.

The only thing is, its quite warm here at the moment (dorset) and room temp would be a little higher as a result....ah well, i am planning doing breaded whicken escalopes with cherry tomatoes and mozarella on a bed of mash, hunger wins out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

your making me hungry now lol,you could also put them on defrost in microwave,we have rain here in dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

if they are wrapped well enough you could just put them in a bowl of water and leave it under a running cold tao fro about 10 mins and they will be defrosted and still under 4 degrees, meanin they will still be totally safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

Seaneh wrote: »
    if they are wrapped well enough you could just put them in a bowl of water and leave it under a running cold tao fro about 10 mins and they will be defrosted and still under 4 degrees, meanin they will still be totally safe.

+1 but i would only do it in small quantities

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

ok i can never get my head around this raw meat thing.
    How come you can't cook chicken fillets from frozen, but if you buy chicken fillets in breadcrumbs bird's eye type things you can cook them from frozen.
    Same with fish, frozen fillets tell you to thaw them on the packet, ones in breadcrumbs, go ahead and cook them from frozen.
    Therefore the conclusion i came to is that unless it's covered in breadcrumbs, you don't cook it from frozen.
    wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    How come you can't cook chicken fillets from frozen, but if you buy chicken fillets in breadcrumbs bird's eye type things you can cook them from frozen.
    Same with fish, frozen fillets tell you to thaw them on the packet, ones in breadcrumbs, go ahead and cook them from frozen.
    Therefore the conclusion i came to is that unless it's covered in breadcrumbs, you don't cook it from frozen.
    wtf?

I think many of those frozen products are already cooked, so the cooking process is really just reheating them? Or it could be to do with there being so little actual chicken in some of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I think the main difference is the likes of frozen fish and chicken breasts is that they're already cooked or at least not raw, you're just baking them slightly! At least I think so anyway. When you cook chicken thats not fully thawed you can create a micro environment around the frozen centre where bacteria will thrive. I think its also really hard to cook evenly when its part frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    wtf?

the ones in packets are all done to the same spec and size thats why they give you cooking guide lines on the box because they have tested and tested them. you can cook chicken fillets and fish from frozen but im not going to get into it and miss guide people.:eek: I will have people quoting me sayn some one on boards said you can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I've often thought that myself. I think you're not supposed to do your own as while the outside is cooking the inside is still frozen and it never really gets up to temperature for long enough to kill the bacteria. And if you do cook it long enough to get the centre perfect, the outside will be overcooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I just leave them in the sink (in the plastic wrapping) until they thaw out, never got food poisoning yet.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement