Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catalytic Converter

• 01-07-2009 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hey
    a few weeks back my car started acting up and I took it to the garage. They spent about 4 hours at it, couldn't figure out the cause and then discovered it was the catalytic converter.
    It was near closing and they hadn't a part so they took it out and told me to get a 2nd hand one (I don't want to spend big money on a new one). I didn't know where I'd get one so they said they might be able to get me one.
    The following day, a friend of the family who deals in cars said he could get me one cheaper and had someone who could fit it for me. So I rang the garage twice to tell them I didn't need them to get me the part.
    That was a month ago and yesterday he said he couldn't get the part.
    I rang around a few parts places and scrap dealers. They all vary in price and one parts place even said the garage "did a butcher job" on the car and shouldn't have removed the converter. they said you don't even need a whole converter these days, that most people just get "a small piece" instead :confused:
    I'm car illiterate and have no idea know what to do about it. I've no money to splash around and the NCT date is looming.
    Is it true you get "a small piece" or is the converter whole??
    help! :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

If your catalythic converter is gone you replace it, if you can with an OEM standard replacement catalythic converter such as one made by Bosal.

A lot of "quick-fit" outlets will supply you with a "one-size-fits-all" universal type catalythic converter which is typically smaller than what will be coming out of your vehicle and personally I don't recommend them. I also wouldn't go with a second hand solution, I'd advise getting an OEM quality replacement product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Persoanlly i have always put in new exhaust parts on my cars ( not always OEM, depends on the car and how much I want to invest in it at the time)...
    and would recomend it as the way to go,

but if money is tight, no harm in getting prices for a second hand unit, check with your local salvage yards and see what deals you can get.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

robtri wrote: »
    Persoanlly i have always put in new exhaust parts on my cars ( not always OEM, depends on the car and how much I want to invest in it at the time)...
    and would recomend it as the way to go
    My ex put a new exhaust in to the car in January, obviously he didn't see any problem. shouldn't've taken it to a garage...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Never let your bf near your car unless he happens to be a mechanic!

Advertisement