Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How dyou show someone new you like them?!

Options
  • 01-07-2009 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭

So there's this girl that's working at my job for the next couple of weeks and I instantly developed a crush on her, which is strange for me cos that doesn't happen much. Anyway, so I can't tell whether or not she likes me but I've been flirting a little bit, dropping hints here and there but not really obvious hints.... But anyway, it's made me think of the way I used to ask compared to how I would act now when I like someone. How do you girls/guys act around someone new you like?

With this girl, I've been trying to be nice to her while also remaining really casual. So I'll make a special effort chat to her for extended periods of time but when I've to leave the conversation (to catch up on the work I've been neglecting!), I just kinda walk away and don't say goodbye... I think I'm trying to be nonchalant, haha...! And she mentioned the other night that she was scared walking down the dark alley at night so I've been walking her out to her car too..... I'm trying to be a little less subtle cos I dunno if she's getting it but she kiiiiiiiiinda seems to be.

Oh also, when I like someone, I generally give them a nickname really early on. I like having a special name for someone I like....

Anyway yeah?! What kinda things dyou do to show someone you like them? Or what kinda things do you accidentally do that totally makes a fool outta yourself when you're trying to be smooth about it?! Embarrassing anecdotes a-plenty please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Anyway yeah?! What kinda things dyou do to show someone you like them? Or what kinda things do you accidentally do that totally makes a fool outta yourself when you're trying to be smooth about it?! Embarrassing anecdotes a-plenty please!

Aww this is a nice thread!

Well, when I like someone they'll know about it! I tend to be outrageously flirtatious and quite forward about the whole thing, and quite confident outwardly... inwardly I do be petrified!!

I guess I just try to project what I'd like to get from a potential partner, if that makes sense. I make it clear I'm interested, and I present a good image of myself as a confident, funny person, even if I'm nervous :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

What kinda things dyou do to show someone you like them? Or what kinda things do you accidentally do that totally makes a fool outta yourself when you're trying to be smooth about it?! Embarrassing anecdotes a-plenty please!

One happened me last night! I get on really well with this guy from work I met at a house party a few weeks ago, we chat in work when we run into each other and last night, we were both at a work event ... he came over to say hi, put out his hand to touch my arm ... and accidentally brushed off my boob. He got really embarrassed. I got really embarrassed. Then I started laughing and couldn't stop. When he tried to strike up a conversation to avoid further awkwardness, I couldn't focus properly because I was desperately trying to hold in my laughter! :pac:

When I like someone, I generally tease them and flirt A LOT. I act really interested in anything the say and act really enthusiastically when I find common ground and have things in common with them.
    I get shy too though ... when they make eye-contact, I blush :o
    I generally try to act cool and impress them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Walking away without saying anything after talking to her for a good while is kinda strange! No harm in just saying you have to get back and do a bit, you'll chat to her later ;)

If I like someone I talk to them, you have to do a lot of that before you find out if you really do like them after all. I haven't got any embaressing offerings for you, sorry!

Why don't you just ask her out? The worst she can do is say no, but at least you'll know either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Well not without saying anything but like we'll be mid-convo and I'll suddenly have to go and just go "woops, sorry!" and bail.
    Abigayle wrote: »
    Why don't you just ask her out? The worst she can do is say no, but at least you'll know either way.

Ah she'll be workin with me for a few weeks, plenty of time for more flirting and talking yet. I don't wanna rush into anything with someone I work with (as I've fairly recently found out how explosive that can be). Half the fun is in the not knowing though, so I'm gonna keep it going like this for a while! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

he came over to say hi, put out his hand to touch my arm ... and accidentally brushed off my boob. He got really embarrassed. I got really embarrassed.

This (boob brush by accident) happened to me once with a new girl in work (I was a waiter at the time and it was her 1st or 2nd day). Omg. I'm cringing here with the thoughts of it, but it was a total accident and I apologised my ass off, probably to the point that it was really obvious that I liked her. Never saw her again. :(

• Advertisement

Haha, that's happened to me loads of times! Best way to deal with it is just go "Woops, jesus I just touched yer boob there, sorry about that! .... Well done though ;)." and then laugh. But make it clear the 'well done' part is a joke or you look like a perv...! Always gets a laugh for me anyway!

he came over to say hi, put out his hand to touch my arm ... and accidentally brushed off my boob.

Ah you can't blame the guy for that, how could he miss those warlocks :pac:
    Khannie wrote: »
    This (boob brush by accident) happened to me once with a new girl in work (I was a waiter at the time and it was her 1st or 2nd day). Omg. I'm cringing here with the thoughts of it, but it was a total accident and I apologised my ass off, probably to the point that it was really obvious that I liked her. Never saw her again. :(

Lmfao. She never came back? You made a lasting impression then? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Khannie wrote: »

That's what the guy did last night! Poor him! I just laughed a lot... We got over it though, eventually!

It's so mortifying when something like that happens - not only does it break the ice, it bombs it and blows it to pieces!

:mad: Are you being sarcastic? I'm an A!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Generally, when people like someone, they want to be closer to them so say if they're sitting beside each other they will try and have their arm touching the other persons or whatever! If that makes any sense!

I tend to just laugh more around people I like 'cause I'm happier :) Or the good old "Tell me a secret" line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I'd ask her out for a drink and see how things go.

• Advertisement

No no no, I'm not looking for advice! Just people's stories! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

Generally, when people like someone, they want to be closer to them so say if they're sitting beside each other they will try and have their arm touching the other persons or whatever! If that makes any sense!
    it does but i think sometimes this signal can be misread. someone who is flirty anyway canl do this without thinking
    I tend to just laugh more around people I like 'cause I'm happier :) Or the good old "Tell me a secret" line!
    me too, i tend to laugh and giggle alot. but then, i don't bother to hide when i like someone. i think i give enough signals and let him do with them what he wants.
    doesn't always work mind you.
    a girl can think that the signals she is giving off are like a big neon bingo sign, and you'd have to be blind to miss it....and vice versa
    and yet, its not until later you discover he didn't see them at all
    :D
    and i'm absolutely sure i've missed the boy "i like you" signals many times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

I was working with this guy who I really fancied but I wasn't too sure if he fancied me back. We got on really well though and always had lunch together, would stick by each other on work nights out and such.

Anyhoo..I was on reception and I was putting a call through to him.
    I said 'Oh, by the way, I overheard Graham (boss) say he's going home early this evening'
    He said 'Sound, lets hope so'
    and I said
    'Yeah, I'm touching wood as we speak'
    He kinda giggled and I put the phone down. I was tapping my wooden desk at the time for luck! Aaaghhhh....so mortified!!

He ended up asking me out though and we were together for 6 months:)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MadgeBadge

My liking someone is usually characterised by saying something really stupid. Like mentioning ovulation, or something to the same (bad) effect.

Or I go into hyper-comedian mode, as if I'm thinking 'if I can make them laugh, then I can make them love me'.
    No no no, I'm not looking for advice! Just people's stories! :)

Just as well.
    Oh also, when I like someone, I generally give them a nickname really early on. I like having a special name for someone I like....

I would not dig the nickname Barbie, at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Just near rolled off my chair laughing at that.....warlocks...thats a new one for me to use....if I ever get off the internet long enough to speak to actual people.:o

Maddison wrote: »
    Just near rolled off my chair laughing at that.....warlocks...thats a new one for me to use....if I ever get off the internet long enough to speak to actual people.:o

Word steal from Superbad ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Must watch that film.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

:mad: Are you being sarcastic? I'm an A!

A stands for Absolutely massive right? :P

MadgeBadge wrote: »
    I would not dig the nickname Barbie, at all.

She didn't like it either so now I use it to tease her. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

When I really like someone I do all the wrong things. Well no, I start off ok, eye contact, chatting, laughing etc but then I start getting all wierd and I get clingy and a tad overly touchy. oh, and if we're out or somewhere alcohol is involved I steal their drink, as in take the glass from their hand and take a sip. Also when I get really drunk around someone I like I get all parnoid and think that they don't like me at all. Like the other night I got quite drunk and a boy i'd kinda been kissing on and off (that I really liked) brought me to get a taxi and I started saying things like "no, you're just trying to get rid of me 'cause you don't want to take me home!" oh...I'm a disgrace
    It still seems to work sometimes though! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Ah I'm a total flirt at the best of times (and the worst of times!) but I think I make it obvious when I'm into someone!! I flirt and tease them ALOT! Also the main 'I want you' signal is I do that whole look out from under lowered eyes at them!! Works like a charm!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

n1ck wrote: »
    A stands for Absolutely massive right? :P

I think they're an "A" in the academic sense.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Pull their Hair and call them names...

(oh wait...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I think when I like someone I slag them too much and then get all Chandler Bing on the situation. Worse case scenario they think I'm an asshole who's constantly ridiculing them. :(

Does the accidental boob brush ever go unnoticed? Whenever it happens I know I'm thinking "**** I just touched her boob", but then the lack of reaction occasionally makes ya wonder "maybe they're like some sort of external flotation device and she didn't actually feel it". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Does the accidental boob brush ever go unnoticed? Whenever it happens I know I'm thinking "**** I just touched her boob", but then the lack of reaction occasionally makes ya wonder "maybe they're like some sort of external flotation device and she didn't actually feel it". :pac:

It never goes unnoticed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Ha ha we just sometimes choose to act like we couldn't feel it so as not to embarress(sp!) you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Accidental boob touch is nothing! Try accidental face in boobs! :(

In 2nd year we were playing volleyball against the girls school. I went to an all boys school. I went up for a ball and someone pushed against me, I lost my balance and went face first into one of the girls.

It was like a slow motion shot in a movie "NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo" face first into her chest and of course she just happened to have MASSIVE boobs.

The roars and cheers from both schools looking on still haunts me :D

Damn, I feared as much. Though on the plus side it probably means casual boob brushes from girls might be deliberate. Maybe.

Vinny, your story is the stuff of dreams sir, the stuff of dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Vinny, your story is the stuff of dreams sir, the stuff of dreams.

If it was now, I might motor boat them or something, like an old sailor :D

Who am I kidding, no I wouldn't. I'd glow as red as I did that day. :o

• Advertisement

If it was now, I might motor boat them or something, like an old sailor :D

Who am I kidding, no I wouldn't. I'd glow as red as I did that day. :o

You should track her down... "Excuse me, I believe I once face-planted your considerable bewbs." ... then you could study what she does when she's attracted to a guy, or what she does when she knees you in the balls. Either or. :)

Advertisement