Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard Working Class Heroes

• 01-07-2009 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭

The press release came out yesterday for thisyear's festival. They are looking for Music photographers again. I entered last year but didn't get through. I'm wondering what's the best method to picking photos (5 needed to submit), when it's your own photos you have looked at for ages on a monitor sometimes it's hard to pick what someone else is looking for.

I have pictures that I would definitely send in but worry about little sharpness niggles.

Any tips or suggestions on how you would pick from you're batch of potential photos?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

interesting, any links you could share and I might submit some of my own and see if I'm worthy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Yep - HWCH

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

sinead got it last time... she be the all knowing guru on this topic, i failed also last year... havent even shot much this year gig wise, may chuck in the same ones again and hope for the best

sinead got it last time... she be the all knowing guru on this topic, i failed also last year... havent even shot much this year gig wise, may chuck in the same ones again and hope for the best

Do you keep it all performance based and/or Irish band only photos?
    Last year I submitted mainly international bands and not necessarily photos from that year.

I wonder if last years winners are online anywhere to get a clue what styles they go for, sometimes I'm surprised at the bland music pics that win competitions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Do you keep it all performance based and/or Irish band only photos?
    Last year I submitted mainly international bands and not necessarily photos from that year.

I wonder if last years winners are online anywhere to get a clue what styles they go for, sometimes I'm surprised at the bland music pics that win competitions.

mine was a mix, mostly mcd interenational bands, might go with the home grown approach this year

• Advertisement

that was last years

1703985597_6c5ee88ef0_m.jpg 2237194211_e5cc20d547_m.jpg 1698027327_631ff3d48c_m.jpg 1699754480_033d4a2635_m.jpg 2077867293_fd3eeff41e_m.jpg

seems there was a preference to 'portraits' or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Would something like this be open to 'amateur' photographers ?

Loveless wrote: »

aye thats wht we are... I believe the that professionals also can enter, DotOrg here got in a few times I thinks, but most of us are amateurs, sinead is also... be it a gifted one.

A decent camera would be a requirement tho, basic dslr i mean

Loveless wrote: »
    Open to everyone, amateur and professional.

True but I have some shots I'm very proud of that were not taken on an SLR because of the festival I was at & these are definitely not "snapshots". Hopefully I'll decide on 5 by next week. Shooting a gig of 3 bands this Friday so I'll see what else I gather from that.

Judging from some of the shots from last year's entries I'm stunned some got through. Don't want to point the finger at any in particualr but you can look here. Click on the first photographer and work through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I got 2 in last year and was happy enough.

Actually surprised the ones they picked as opposed to the ones they didnt.
    To quote from this years pre-launch...

"Hard Working Class Heroes will once again be calling for photographers to enter the HWCH photos exhibition. This year the photography judging panel will consist of editors / art directors from major publications…."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

must give it a go and see how i get on.
    cheers for the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

just be yourself would be my advice

BTW What does "700 pixels wide for landscape or 350 for portrait" ?
    - what size jpg would that be ???

maths no good :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

thebaz wrote: »

I'd say the image has to be at least 700 pixels wide if its in landscape format, or 350 pixels wide if its in portrait format. Height is entirely up to the format but will presumably be less than 700 pixels if its in landscape format, because otherwise it would be in portrait format, and more than 350 pixels in height if in portrait format because otherwise we'd have a picture in landscape format which would be less than 700 pixels wide and therefore disallowed.

Clearer now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

thebaz wrote: »

example...a 6 meg camera will produce 2000 x 3008 at portrait before any downsizing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

EF25E0D15BD24A71A05FDB142255AF13-800.jpg

That's the one that got in last year for me, so I wouldn't be at all worried about focus or sharpness! :pac:

I don't know if I'll enter this year - I've shot very little, and even less that I'm happy with. I have a studio session coming up with a rap artist (bit of a departure for me! :D ) so I might see what I get from that..

Good luck to all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

aye thats wht we are... I believe the that professionals also can enter, DotOrg here got in a few times I thinks, but most of us are amateurs, sinead is also... be it a gifted one.

ah good stuff. this is my first time posting in the Photography forum. I go to an afwul lot of gigs and take my camera to most of them. I took all these shots from the audience with a Kodak Z740 [5m.p.]

boards1.jpg

boards2.jpg

ratm.jpgswell.jpgtily1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

I've been in it pretty much every year, currated the exhibition one year too which was fun.

What they are looking for is great pictures, plain and simple. Don't worry about sharpness or if it's a photo of Michael Jackson, U2 or just a local band playing down your local pub, or a shot of your grandad playing his tin whistle.

If it's a good photo with some music link you'll be well in with a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I entered last year and didn't get in. I'll stick a few in this year too. Last year they looked more preferably towards portrait shots of artists/bands. I think they even stated that on the website. It's worth checking out what they want this year and maybe playing towards that more if you can.

I'm over my initial worries so now I've no fear with what I pick, just a matter of widdling them down. I asked a friend to highlight what he likes from my recent sets and his choices are very different to mine.

I suppose ultimately you can never guess what any judge will want so it's pot luck at this stage with what we all submit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I can't figure out if it's looking for photo's of anything music related or is it omly of performers playing in the HWCH.

Or is it just any musically themed pictures from anytime?

Edit...Just read Dotorg's post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Thinking of sending in some pics,what dpi would most people use to summit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

72 is grand for submission, but you have to make sure the original image is printable at about A3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

sineadw wrote: »
    72 is grand for submission, but you have to make sure the original image is printable at about A3

72dpi or 10000dpi makes NO difference at all. The image they need is measured in pixels.

dpi is only relevant when you are printing your images, for computers, you should only ever deal in the number of pixels (and in this case 700pixels wide for horizontal (called landscape) shots and 350pixels wide for shots that are vertical (called portrait))

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Cheers folks.

Advertisement