Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arriving in Buenos Aires on 1 way flight ticket!

• 01-07-2009 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hey, as my up coming plan is to travel south to north direction in South America, I have no idea on return dates or a departure destination. What is the story with arriving in Argentina with a 1-way flight ticket?
    By this I mean are they gonna be asking me for proof that i will not try to stow away for life in the country etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

when I booked my tickets we were told that there is a chance that they would not let you in if you have no proof of further travel.

But i haven't been able to find anyone whos actually done this.

I booked a return for the simple fact that flying one way back from South america was going to cost 900e by itself!!! For some reason its ridulously expensive to flight from there.

So in all even if i don't use the return ticket i'll only be out of pocket 124e! as the return flights worked out at that little relativly.
    but due to the amount it would cost to come back one way it's good to have that back up which is valid for a year after I leave.

also I imagine it will result in a lot less potentional hassle if i'm able to prove to anyone that asks that i have a return home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kod137

ya thats all well and good but if you plan on moving north you won't get into america or canada with a one way ticket. You'll need a return ticket to Ireland or ticket out of america/canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭the_god_swan

when I booked my tickets we were told that there is a chance that they would not let you in if you have no proof of further travel.

But i haven't been able to find anyone whos actually done this.

I booked a return for the simple fact that flying one way back from South america was going to cost 900e by itself!!! For some reason its ridulously expensive to flight from there.

So in all even if i don't use the return ticket i'll only be out of pocket 124e! as the return flights worked out at that little relativly.
    but due to the amount it would cost to come back one way it's good to have that back up which is valid for a year after I leave.

also I imagine it will result in a lot less potentional hassle if i'm able to prove to anyone that asks that i have a return home.

Hey R.D. aka MR.D, do you mean the ticket/company are you using allows you flexibility of up to one year with regards to the return dates that you will eventually use?
    If so could you send me some info on this please.

Here is a link to the search results the Thorntree forums on this issue:
    http://search.lonelyplanet.com/listing?Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&N=4294967226&Ntt=one+way+ticket on one-wat tickets.

Long story short; "airlines may refuse to allow check-in to a destination without an onward ticket, because THEY are responsible by law to check this detail, and must foot the bill for your return if entry denied."

Solution: A return ticket out of the continent should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

"airlines may refuse to allow check-in to a destination without an onward ticket, because THEY are responsible by law to check this detail, and must foot the bill for your return if entry denied."

This is what trailfinders also told me. Basically the airline would have to carry you back home if you are refused entry. I had a one-way booked from Sao Paulo to Lima for 330. When I added on the return it only came to 370 so went for that as a safety

• Advertisement

paulieeye wrote: »
    This is what trailfinders also told me. Basically the airline would have to carry you back home if you are refused entry. I had a one-way booked from Sao Paulo to Lima for 330. When I added on the return it only came to 370 so went for that as a safety

I went and had a chat with Trailfinders also yesterday, I had been avoiding them because of those crap magazines they give out that makes everything look really expensive. But the flight prices they quoted me for...

In: Dublin - Heathrow - San Paulo
    Out: San Francisco - Heathrow - Dublin
    @ €816 I think is fair, seen as I was willing to pay €515 one-way to Buenos Aires.

One question though:
    The cost to change a return flight is €100 each time you change it. Is it possible to contact the airline (BA in my situation) directly and change the flight even though Trailfinders were the original bookers?

Advertisement