Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Dynamics NAV

Options
  • 01-07-2009 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭

Ok guys so heres the situation.

My g/f works for a company which uses Microsoft Dynamics NAV. (I have no experience of this)

The database is (I assume SQL server) on a server somewhere in internetland.

The problem ->

Whatever interface her company has (customised) does not fulfill the changing requirements and the company will not pay for a programmer to change it. (I would have assumed all that was required was a simple SQL query)

She has to get certain information from certain tables to make a report. So at the moment she has been doing this manually,i.e > opening up each individual table view, copying the information to excel and repeating until she has all the information she requires in the sheet.

I really want to help her out, it sounds like a simple SELECT blah FROM blah etc to me but I've never used MS NAV so I'm hoping someone who has can suggest a solution here.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Ronan_

Isn't there a reports feature in NAV? Create a report that will generate the information she needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Ronan_ wrote: »
    Isn't there a reports feature in NAV? Create a report that will generate the information she needs.

The problem is I don't know, I'm unfamiliar with the software and I can't go to her office. Shes not IT knowledeable at all.

I assumed there would be something like the 'create a view' in SQL server or something to that effect but apparently its a custom (or customised) interface to the database backend.

Surely theres something like a 'view' for SQL server or somewhere I can input some simple SQL ?

It seems so so simple, yet it costs my other half an hour or 2 extra work each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

She has to get certain information from certain tables to make a report
    she is allowed to access live data via the table?

whoever let her do that shoud be shot

monosharp wrote: »
    I assumed there would be something like the 'create a view' in SQL server or something to that effect but apparently its a custom (or customised) interface to the database backend.

Surely theres something like a 'view' for SQL server or somewhere I can input some simple SQL ?

amen wrote: »
    she is allowed to access live data via the table?

whoever let her do that shoud be shot

I wouldn't think she is able to or allowed to access data via the table.
    What I believe that monosharp is looking for is somewhere he can input sql to retrieve the data his wife needs.

monosharp, what role (in NAV) does your wife hold?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

Would it be possible for you to show her on your domestic computer how to make screen grabs and email them to you? At least then you will know exactly what she is looking at on her screen - I'm assuming that it won't be possible to remotely login to her computer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

If she has install rights on the PC get her to install a free logmein account. You can login then late some night and horse about. Show her what to do, and remove logmein when done. Job done.

If she has install rights on the PC get her to install a free logmein account. You can login then late some night and horse about. Show her what to do, and remove logmein when done. Job done.

Making screenshots and removing them from her workplace could get her into a lot of trouble.

And what could get her into more trouble and possibly cost her a job is allowing remote access to her work computer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'm not familiar with Dynamics, but pretty sure it is a SQL Database. If she has direct access to the table, probably the easiest thing to do will be to st up a data connection in excel. Depending on the version she uses it'll be slightly different how she does this, and there's a number of different ways, but in short from the data menu she can go to connections and add (she may need to then use the browse button to create a new connection). This will ask for server name etc and then let her put in an SQL query. It'll then pull the data into an excel table which can be summarised with pivot tables/charts.

In 2007 a shortcut is to go to the data ribbon, press "From other sources", pick SQL server, enter details, and when it's done it'll ask if you want to add a pivottable/chart/regular table etc.

I think you can also do it by just adding a pivot table or chart and it will ask what connection you want to use and you can create it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

There is a pretty reasonable Microsoft Dynamics for um here , and the Dynamics object designer allows you to create reports that go to Excel using the report designer

Advertisement