Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What lens for beginner/intermediate?

• 01-07-2009 3:49pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My sister has recently started to get into photography. She bought a Nikon (D40 ?) with the standard 18-55 lens. I was quite impressed with the lens actually but she wants something better with longer range.

She wants an all-in-one lens and does not really want to be changing lenses all the time. She will mostly be taking portraits, maybe the odd close up / macro, and some scenery photography (she lives in Dubai). Obviously the best depth of field possible would be desired but I know getting this at an affordable price is nearly impossible.

I was thinking something like the Sigma 28-200mm f3.5-5.6 would be a good bet. I know 28mm is not that wide, but that's not an issue. f3.5 is pretty good for such a long range, and I'd say it would cater for most of her needs.

What do you think? What other alternatives should I consider?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Zascar wrote: »
    My sister has recently started to get into photography. She bought a Nikon (D40 ?) with the standard 18-55 lens. I was quite impressed with the lens actually but she wants something better with longer range.

She wants an all-in-one lens and does not really want to be changing lenses all the time. She will mostly be taking portraits, maybe the odd close up / macro, and some scenery photography (she lives in Dubai). Obviously the best depth of field possible would be desired but I know getting this at an affordable price is nearly impossible.

I was thinking something like the Sigma 28-200mm f3.5-5.6 would be a good bet. I know 28mm is not that wide, but that's not an issue. f3.5 is pretty good for such a long range, and I'd say it would cater for most of her needs.

What do you think? What other alternatives should I consider?
    Thanks

that will only be 3.5 at the 28mm, any zooming reduces it... tbh you get what ya pay for, best all round nikon len
    s imo is the 24-70mm 2.8, thats 2.8 throughout the zoom range... but its 4 times maybe 3 times the cameras price...

a cheap 80-300 and a 50mm 1.8 might be a better option

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I would suggest the Nikon 18-200 VR as a good all round lens. It does a lot of things well. Now it's not particulary fast (f3.5-5.6) but for landscapes & portraits that is not going to be a big issue. It's not a Macro either, but it does tick a lot of boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Cheapest option would be the 55-200mm VR to go with her kit lens.

Another choice would be the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8......not a huge zoom though. I bought one off ebay recently for €100 delivered.

Advertisement