Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advanced pitstop ripoff???

• 01-07-2009 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭

Went into an advanced pitstop recently to price a set of front and back brake pads supplied and fitted to 05 mondeo. The garage looked a bit deserted and the mechanic came straight over whenever i walked in. He eagerly got on his computer and informed me it would cost 240 euro or so. He wanted to know was the car with me so he could do it there and then. Tbh all i could do was laugh and told him id pop back in later.

I got the pads fitted and supplied for 80 euro by a local mechanic! Its no wonder the advanced pit stop was empty whem they are charging these kind of prices! Anybody else have similar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Ford dealer wanted €95 for the rear pads alone for my 06 Mondeo. Considering the Ferodo OEM equilvent reatils at €43 plus the vat, guess where I didn't get them done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

murf313 wrote: »
    Went into an advanced pitstop recently to price a set of front and back brake pads supplied and fitted to 05 mondeo. The garage looked a bit deserted and the mechanic came straight over whenever i walked in. He eagerly got on his computer and informed me it would cost 240 euro or so. He wanted to know was the car with me so he could do it there and then. Tbh all i could do was laugh and told him id pop back in later.

I got the pads fitted and supplied for 80 euro by a local mechanic! Its no wonder the advanced pit stop was empty whem they are charging these kind of prices! Anybody else have similar experiences?

they wanted approx €800 for a set of 17/225/7.5 Dunlops

went to phoenix tire's and got em for €540

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

For the only 1 or 2 times I've every been Advanced Pitstop, its been an emergency for flat tire.

Both times (in seperate locations, Dublin and Kerry), the guy says that the wall of the tire was busted from driving it flat and I'd need a new one instead of repairing it.

Out to the back for 2 mins and returns saying that they only ones they have left is the expensive bridgestone ones. My car was fairly standard at the time (Megane), so it amazed me that a tire company could let all of its stock of normal car tires go down like that :confused:

It was almost like a script that all the workers have when it comes to customers.

In short, yes, they are very expensive. Won't be going back there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

NEVER go to these guys, first time I went with a puncture they told me tyre was fecked. Said I would come back to buy a tyre, brought to my guy and said there was no problem with it and fixed it there and then.

Next time I had joined IFA group, 10% discount, said I would call in cause handy, was told needed 2 tyres(great analysis after I told them I needed 2 new tyres). Told them about discount and was told this was only available on the 140 euro tyre. Said nothing and walked out, rang there head office and this was bulls**t.

Brother recently went in, again emergency, samething. You need to buy a new tyre, 100 quid or more for there cheapest and heard the usual crap about needing the best and how it was best for a family car(had his 18 month old son with him). Rang me and I picked him up with tyre and headed off to another garage. Nothing wrong with tyre but was abit bald(said it would be good for another 5k or so pushing it) but he got a new one for 80 quid. Asked about quality(please note they also sell the same ones as advance) and he said no problem, the expensive ones are a rip off, no difference and they last as long and just as good!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

murf313 wrote: »
    Tbh all i could do was laugh and told him id pop back in later.

This is part of the problem and is something us Irish tend to do, we are pathetic! You should have been straight up with him, "That is an outrageous price an I will be getting it done elsewhere." Maybe then they would get the message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

Now not saying i ever go to them, or will ever, but i've one experience with them and its a good one. Was in college in sligo when i got a flat. turns out the place that had balanced my wheels (in cork), had used to gun to tighten the lock nuts. It sheared the adapter when i tried to loosen it. tried a few places for a spare adapter (fords one broke too). Eventually went to AP, and the guy spent half an hour with me and eventually sorted it. Charged me nothing, and Fair play to him.

Saying that, i still wouldnt use them unless i was rightly stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Brother recently went in, again emergency, samething. You need to buy a new tyre, 100 quid or more for there cheapest and heard the usual crap about needing the best and how it was best for a family car(had his 18 month old son with him). Rang me and I picked him up with tyre and headed off to another garage. Nothing wrong with tyre but was abit bald(said it would be good for another 5k or so pushing it) but he got a new one for 80 quid. Asked about quality(please note they also sell the same ones as advance) and he said no problem, the expensive ones are a rip off, no difference and they last as long and just as good!!!

So you are comparing one garages opinion about replacement against another and comparing the price on 2 different brands of tyre?
    if the tyre had 5 k on it pushing it i would say it was pretty much gone.would like to know the tread depth but it sounds like it had 2/2.5mm on it.
    Not a big advance fan myself but i am giving them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

sundodger5 wrote: »
    So you are comparing one garages opinion about replacement against another and comparing the price on 2 different brands of tyre?
    if the tyre had 5 k on it pushing it i would say it was pretty much gone.would like to know the tread depth but it sounds like it had 2/2.5mm on it.
    Not a big advance fan myself but i am giving them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Benefit of doubt!!! what this Ireland was built on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

Like a previous poster only dealt with them before when I had an emergency flat tyre. Told me I needed a litany of things to fix the car. Cant remember everything they said but new tyres, brake pads, the works (and something about brake fluid cant really remember) to the tune of $600. Didn't have much cash on me at the time so just said give me two new tyres which ended up costing way more than usual. Anyway I'd get over that but was really worried about the brakes over the next few days and brought it to a local mechanic who checked them out and said there was absolutely nothing wrong with them! Charming!

So avoid would be my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I think their is a difference in quality of tyres. People that say u can go and put the cheapest tyre you can find, will do everything a expensive tyre IMHO is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Anytime I have dealt with Advance (usually JFk, Naas Rd, their Head Office) I found them brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Onkle wrote: »
    Anytime I have dealt with Advance (usually JFk, Naas Rd, their Head Office) I found them brilliant.

I see people's point with the expensive tyres. The last time I went in, it was with a rattly exhaust, I thought it'd be at least a welding job, and maybe a part or full replacement of the exhaust.

Up on the lift, the lads called me over and pointed out a rubber mount towards the rear which was gone. Fitted another, and charged me €3.

No sh!t, three euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

I hate to buck the trend of Advance Bashing here....!

My '01 Mondy Estate exhaust was rattling off the underside and it needed a drop link fitted to the rear anti roll bar. I got the drop link and the boys in Advance Headford Road Galway fitted it and sorted the exhaust. They had to heat the exhaust - turn it - fit new support bushes and a new clamp. The lads were working at it for at least an hour and a bit. The place was very busy as well.

All this cost me €32. Car is 100% now ...!

Where are all these rogue Advance Pitstops you lads are slating off....?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

How else are Advance supposed to pay for corporate trips to Manchester...? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Based on past experience, I would'nt bring a flat wheelbarrow to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

have dealt a good few times with advance, they are a bit pricey sometimes,
    but I will always say when it comes to tyres, get the best you can afford...
    there is a huge difference between the cheapest set of tyres and an expensive set.... a Huge differenece....

I was taken on a junket to the UK before by a tyre company, one of the things they had us do was a couple of laps in an Subaru STI on the companys cheapest tyres, the max I could take some of the corners on the track was 40MPH before the car lost grip.... they then took the whels of the car and replaced them with their new top of range units, same car different tyres I could make the corners at close to 70mph....

do not under estimate using the best tyres you can afford on your car!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I went to them for a service late last year and had to get brake pads and a few other things replaced. It was expensive, although I can't remember how much exactly. What I do remember is telling him that the back wiper was broken. They replaced it and didn't bother to check if it was working or not so when I got the car back it was still broken. They also told me that I'd get another 2 years out of the car. I am currently waiting for the Hibernian breakdown service to come fix my car. I understand that they can't predict what will happen to the car but it has barely been 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

They are a franchise - there are some good and some bad. Ive been to the one in dundrum a few times (including T-Belt, which was the cheapest of 3 quotes) and have no complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

I use the one in L'kenny numerous times and they are nothing but helpful. OK, I don't buy tyres there (or anywhere in the south) but the lads went to great effort to fix a brake balancer on my wifes Saxo VTR for the NCT. No Charge. "Let us know how you get on in the test" was the approach.

Had left my BMW in to have handbrake shoes fitted but after inspection, was told they don't need to be done, no charge.

All these places are franchises so it is literally impossible to compare one to another.

Other garages in the town think they're something special and I have had far worse service from them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

the day after i bought a car from a reputable dealership i got a puncture. The car had been fully serviced and had brand new tires on it.

so i take it to advance and the chap takes the wheel to inspect and finds a nail in it, then he takes out some sort of measurement tape and advises that the nail punctured too close to the edge of the wheel so i need to get a new tire. Fair enough says me, i just want to get on the road in my new motor.

So after putting the freshly repaired wheel back on, he tells me that i should get my brake pads replaced as the are worn. So me being concerned about this went straight to the dealership where i bought it and demanded that my brakes are checked. Turns out they where perfect and 11 months on i've still no problems with them.....reminds me, time for a service.

I guess the thing is to always get a second or third opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭USER X

People who have been to Advance and were told they needed brakepads only to be told by someone else they are fine should bare two things in mind: Proactive maintenance and "What does fine actually Mean?". Some people are happy to keep driving their cars until something brakes or fails which personally I would not advise. When someone says the pads are fine.... You may not have much of the braking material left on the pad and im sure if you press hard enough on the brake pedal, the metal part of the pad may dig into the disc and provide some braking. You may find yourself in a situation where you just cant stop quickly enough to avoid the car in front. Then theres those who are in favour of proactive maintenance where when they spot that the pads are almost worn, they will replace them for peace of mind to know they will have maximum brake force when they need it. If you want to continue using pads when they are "fine", you also risk damaging the discs and braces which hold the pads in place which in the long run will cost you more than if you just replaced the pads. Its hard to believe that theres people driving cars who dont know how to check their Oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid, coolant.

As for tyres, I wanted to really have the very best tyre possible on my car s started looking into what makes a good tyre and its a science in itself. Ive had cheap and cheerful tyres which might be fine in the dry but might as well be covered in butter in the wet (Can be fun if you know how to slide the car properly). Different tyres are designed for different climates (hot/cold/wet/snow) and different surfaces. Having the wrong tyres can mean you use more fuel than necessary because of poor traction and you might not even notice it. In an emergency situation (Dog runs out it front of you, old lady decides its a good time to pull out from a side road when your 10-20 metres away) having the right tyres could allow you to stop instead of skidding and having an accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jhud

Advanced are a ripoff. I go to a guy near me who repairs and fits the tyres friend of the father too. He told me he gets all his tyres from them. He charged me €75 for one tyre. Before i knew this guy did tyres i had rang advanced for a price on the same tyre i was priced €115:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

This thread reminds me of this scene from the Simpsons:

% At "High-Pressure Tire Sales", Homer takes advantage of one of the
    % coupon book's offers. His car is being inspected while on a lift.

Homer: Now, this wheel balancing is free, right?
    Worker: Oh, you betcha, absolutely. Deh, uh, oh, uh-oh, wait a
    minute. These tires won't take a balance!
    Homer: They won't?
    Worker: Nah, nah, no, you hear that clunk? [knocks on wheel]
    Homer: No ...
    Worker: Well, that tells me you need four new tires.
    Homer: Really?
    Worker: Yeah. Legally, I can't even let you drive outta here on
    these.
    Homer: Oh, please, can't you let me slide this time?
    Worker: Gee, I'd really like to, but if my boss found out, I ...
    [the employee makes a quick hand gesture to his boss]
    Boss: All right, what's going on over here? Were you gonna let
    this man drive out of here on unsafe tires?
    Worker: No boss, I swear!
    Boss: Ah, that's it, you're fired!
    Homer: No! Wait! This is all my fault! Oh, if I could only
    turn back the clock and buy four new tires ...
    [the two workers smile]

Advertisement