Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overflow Pipe??

Options
  • 01-07-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

We have a water pipe coming out of the back wall of our two bed just to the side of the double doors. In the almost 4 years that we've been living there I haven't seen anything come out of the pipe. This summer its started to dribble water.
    Does anyone know where this pipe leads from and what could be causing water to flow from it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Live in a two bed my self and there is no pipe outside.

Can you see it on the interior side of the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

might be the overflow from the boiler (though I thought these were in the front of the house in the 2 beds).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

If it's a house and the pipe is at the back, it's probably the overflow from the water tank in the attic. The ballcock may need adjusting.

Astrofluff who knows everything about this kind of stuff will be along shortly no doubt and will point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Ah, my favourite Charlesland issue - water problems!

In my cul de sac the overflow pipe is at the front of the house and EVERY house has had a problem at some stage. Mine was pouring out water (started as a dribble). Turned out the ballcock was rusty and had disintegrated basically. Mine was a bit dramatic because I had water coming through the ceiling into the lounge by the end. Was a right Titanic moment.

My neighbours had an issue with the level of the watertank. In technical terms it was "wonky".

No. I am not a plumber IRL.You can tell eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Most likely the expansion tank for the central heating. Go up in the attic with a torch, look in the area nearest where the pipe is externally. You should see a small (tv size) plastic tank with an inflow pipe near the top, an outflow near the bottom, a ballcock system to regulate the level of water and the overflow pipe (which is the one dribbling outside your house) which is your "safety" valve, preventing flooding inside the house when one of the other bits is'nt operating properly.
    As already posted it's most likely the ballcock, probably not floating loosely. Sometimes can be fixed by slightly bending the supporting arm, at worst can be replaced for (guess €10-12) at the likes of Chadwicks, Boghall Rd., Bray.
    Incidentally, staff in plumbing section there very helpful, will give good information/advice without making you feel like an idiot.
    PS I have no connection whatsoever to Chadwicks, merely a satisfied customer!

• Advertisement

Op said that the pipe is coming out the back of the house at the double doors.
    If that is the case i would be surprised if its coming from any tanks in the attic as they drain just above the front bedroom window in all the two bed houses.
    They drain from the back in the three beds alright but from the same height.

Op can you give more information on this issue please.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Mullie wrote: »
    We have a water pipe coming out of the back wall of our two bed just to the side of the double doors. In the almost 4 years that we've been living there I haven't seen anything come out of the pipe. This summer its started to dribble water.
    Does anyone know where this pipe leads from and what could be causing water to flow from it?

If you look in the handy numbers and links thread at the beginning of this Greystones & Charlesland section. the Plumber from Greystones will supply the part and fix the problem for €80 :cool:,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Op can you give more information on this issue please.

As Damo said...and it's a perculiar one. Also, is it a 12mm copper pipe or a 18mm white or black plastic wavin pipe? are you in a two bed apartment or townhouse?

love plumbing I do

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Also, is it a 12mm copper pipe or a 18mm white or black plastic wavin pipe?

ahem, I was going to ask the same question.

* I can see me getting thrown off the board by Mike for being a fake plumbing expert*

I can see me getting thrown off the board by Mike for being a fake plumbing expert*

your post didn't start with "As a plumber in the industry..." so I think Mike can be leanient with you!

As for me....I'm not an expert on plumbing but would fairly undertand those mechanical installation to said dwelling units!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I'll have to rewrite the charter to eliminate plumbers who know too much...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

astrofluff wrote: »
    As Damo said...and it's a perculiar one. Also, is it a 12mm copper pipe or a 18mm white or black plastic wavin pipe? are you in a two bed apartment or townhouse?

love plumbing I do

Thanks for all the responses folks.

We're in a 2 bed townhouse. It approx 3 ft of flexible brown-ish pipe, that just hangs out of the wall onto the ground. Not sure on the diameter, but its the same piping I've seen used in a friends place to connect up a radiator in the attic.
    We do also have the standard overflow that everyone else has up on the 2nd floor.

well, I am stumped.

the only thing I could think the pipe is for is a tap in the back garden!?

well, I am stumped.

the only thing I could think the pipe is for is a tap in the back garden!?

I second that. I would need see it to know what it is. Can you post an image?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

love plumbing I do

Surely you mean 15mm and 22mm pipe?

OP, is your boiler near this, may be the safety valve letting by.

Surely you mean 15mm and 22mm pipe?

Yes, thats what I mean - but that includes the thickness of the piping material...I prefer to know how much the pipe can hold...especially if it is drainage and what full bore discharges you can get with specifc hydraulic gradients!!! ;)

Back to the OP...go up to the attic and see how many pipes are coming from the tank towards the back wall of th house. Also, there may be a gate valve somewhere in the Hot Press, or Kitchen that is turned off but is letting a little drip through after years of pressure on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Could it be an overflow from the cistern in the loo?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

It sounds like its your Gas boiler, as someone above said there is an overflow pipe on it, you will most likely need to contact bord gais to have it checked.

danjo wrote: »
    Could it be an overflow from the cistern in the loo?

Most modern toilets overflow straight into the toiled bowl so that's a non runner.

I'm still going to go with a garden tap. If I'm wrong I'll buy the OP a pint at The Tumbleweed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Heres a pic of the culprit! We're beside a 3 bed, my latest theory is that its the overflow from their heating as the vent pipe from their heating is almost directly above this pipe.
    I've had to stick it in a bucket, theres a constant drip from it.

Think you may be right. It looks like its right on the dividing wall. If its not that then i am at a total loss.

is it possible, and due to its location on the boundary, that a pipe is running behind the skirting in the kitchen?

This could join up with the underneath of the sink - Have you checked for more than one valve under the sink? There would be other valves for the washing machine - you are looking for a second brass fitting (not the main water stop cock)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Hi all. Just reading this.. If its the overflow pipe leaking please check your ball cock. I have worked in a huge number of houses in Charlesland where the ball cock pin has actually snapped ( faulty batch supposidly). Will cause full flood inside, huge damage etc so act now & just check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

It is probably the pipe from the safety valve on the boiler!
    Possible problems with this are:
    1. It should be copper and should be turned downwards to prevent scalding in the event of a high pressure/temperature blow off from the boiler.... Very rare by the way so don't panic;)
    2. It could indicate a possible problem with the expansion vessel in the boiler
    3. It may only be that the fill valve (usually in the hotpress!) has been left open so over-pressurising the heating system.

If the heating is not on - Cold - (or hot water from the boiler) the pressure in the system - on guage on boiler - should be between 0.5 and 1 bar

If, when the boiler is running the pressure builds to 3 bar or over it would usually indicate that the expansion vessel has failed or needs re-pressurising.
    Please note: It is ILLEGAL for anyone who is NOT a Registered Gas Installer to work on a gas appliance since 26th June 2009!! See http://www.rgii.ie/ for a list of approved contractors.
    Hope this helps:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Clamp it closed and wait and see what happens...

loobylou wrote: »
    Clamp it closed and wait and see what happens...

Under NO Circumstances clamp this pipe as if it turns out to be from the boiler safety valve it could lead to an explosion!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

MiniGolf wrote: »
    Under NO Circumstances clamp this pipe as if it turns out to be from the boiler safety valve it could lead to an explosion!:eek:

Presume this was tongue in cheek

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Presume this was tongue in cheek

NO!!!
    I am a RGI and this is a serious issue!
    I feel so strongly about this that I am willing to call to that house to check it out for free!!!:eek:
    I live nearby - Kilpedder - and will be around all day today - If the OP, Mullie I think, PM's me I will give them my number!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

MiniGolf wrote: »
    NO!!!
    I am a RGI and this is a serious issue!
    I feel so strongly about this that I am willing to call to that house to check it out for free!!!:eek:
    I live nearby - Kilpedder - and will be around all day today - If the OP, Mullie I think, PM's me I will give them my number!

Stalker alert :eek:

Advertisement