Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overflow Pipe??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

Stalker alert :eek:

Not a very helpful post from a moderator!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Lets keep on topic lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

MiniGolf wrote: »
    Not a very helpful post from a moderator!

Ah lighten up , I was only joking.

As I said in an earlier post, it is likely to be a safety valve. An explosion is unlikely even if PRV was obstructed, most likely automatic air vent would pop, fittings began to leak, coil in cylinder might even split. Obstructing the PRV is very unwise in any event.

OP, a couple of questions if I may.

What type of boiler have you (make and model)?

Is there a gauge on it, if so what does it read?

Have you a small and big tank in attic?

Is water still coming out of pipe?

does your heating still work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Micky, the Op won't be able to check that cause the heating system in question in the neighbour's property!

Mullie, look over the fence and have a gander - is there any other pipes? Hopefully you see a pipe at a simliar height to your own boiler drain-off pipe(have a look at the pipe at the front of your own house about 1.2m fromthe ground). If you can see this other pipe then your pipe on our side should be for something else!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Micky, the Op won't be able to check that cause the heating system in question in the neighbour's property!

Mullie, look over the fence and have a gander - is there any other pipes? Hopefully you see a pipe at a simliar height to your own boiler drain-off pipe(have a look at the pipe at the front of your own house about 1.2m fromthe ground). If you can see this other pipe then your pipe on our side should be for something else!

Oh right, must have missed that part.

I'd be asking the neighbour to get it sorted quick smart then.

Hang on, this isn't Home and Garden, the house is in Wicklow, :pac: Thats gas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Bump anyone know what it is yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I think you need a plumber to have a look at it for you as its very hard to make out what it might be from your comments and photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Thanks to MiniGolf who was kind enough to drop out and check out the mystery pipe.
    It turns out it is the neighbours heating overflow pipe. Lazy builders used the wrong type of pipe and popped it into the wrong garden!! The neighbours have since got the pressure checked out on their system, which was way high and my bucket emptying days are over for the time being.
    Thanks all for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

astrofluff wrote: »
    I'm still going to go with a garden tap. If I'm wrong I'll buy the OP a pint at The Tumbleweed.

Damn!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

loobylou wrote: »
    Most likely the expansion tank for the central heating.

What's my prize?:D:D:D

• Advertisement

loobylou wrote: »
    What's my prize?:D:D:D

Fail, it was actually the pressure relief/safety valve that was leaking. Now check over the posts and see who was the first to suggest it. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Millerick

We have just had a flood in a two bed apartment. We have a 'combi' system, uppper tank is cold water tank, lower tanx is emersion with coil from gas fired heating system running through. The cold water tank overflowed - ball cock may have jammed - this would not have been a problem if the overflow pipe had functioned correctly. In these appartments the overflow pipe from the top of the cold water tank runs down the side of the tank to under the floor, across the small hallway and re-emerges piped into the bath overflow pipe (approx. 8 inches off the ground). I am wondering if you who have had problems with failing overflow pipes have found out what the building standard is? Should an overflow pipe flow DOWN into the waste pipe because clearly in this case the water was expected to flow up hill and didn't have sufficient head to do this. It would have needed to be operating as a siphon anyway to get it UP and out into the bath overflow. I suspect that all 100 plus apartments in this complex are plumbed the same and are a disaster waiting to happen - just like ours!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dublingirl

Just to allay any fears for those of us in a 2 bed apartment. I too live in a 2 bed and believe my overflow pipe is connected correctly. I have had to have the ball cock replaced twice due to damage by dirt catching under it but both times I was alerted because water came out of the overflow of the bath and down the bath plug hole - correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Millerick

Thanks Dublingirl! It looks like the way the overflow pipe is plumbed into the bath overflow is correct and it should have worked - as it did for you. Maybe in our case it blocked. What a disaster! Thanks anyway but it is probably worth others knowing that it can block because of set up. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Would anyone know the cost of replacing the valve in the water tank? (Think that is what it is called) The overflow pipe is leaking water. A family member came over to check it and put in a temporary fix and said if it happened again its likely we would need to replace the valve.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Replaced a stopcock a year or two ago, can't remember the exact price but cheap enough, maybe €10-€15. Bought it in Chadwicks, Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Decks79

Just pm'ed you dublingirl

Advertisement