Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

LOVE that word!!

SKETCH.. LEG IT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

cot rapid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

scaaaaaaaarleh for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Gerrout of that garden!

get off that wall

• Advertisement

Absurdum wrote: »
    get off that wall
    Get in to that kitchen!

On another note:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

hours

what the what!

what is that cat thing btw? :O

--LOS-- wrote: »

hours

what the what!

what is that cat thing btw? :O
    Just give it a minute of Your time, see if it appeals :pac:

Nyan Cat Wiki will answer some stuff...basically its just a meme :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

a poptart cat, is there any greater creature?

now to find out about these 10 hour vids :eek:

lol

Just give it a minute of Your time, see if it appeals :pac:

Nyan Cat Wiki will answer some stuff...basically its just a meme :)

I could have googled but I rather the human touch :cool:

ah I always thought it started out as a game or something, I likes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

That cat video is amazingly adorable!

Hello everyone! :)

Nyan Cat is awesome! I would say guten morgen, but You posted in the past, it is now the future and bright outside :D

How've You been? Not heard aaaaaaaanything about You in a while now!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I discovered yesterday that pesto isn't vegetarian, and I eat it all the time. Gah! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Fishie wrote: »
    I discovered yesterday that pesto isn't vegetarian, and I eat it all the time. Gah! :mad:
    Cheeeeesssseeeeee.

Just make your own, tis dead easy. Most vegan pesto recipes call for cheese substitute (nutritional yeast etc), but honestly I wouldn't bother, just leave it out.

EDIT : Wait...isn't vegetarian? What?

Fishie, is it the usual use of egg albumen that makes You think that with regular pesto?

Depending on the level of vegetarianism of a person, some may not consider it veggie, but some may consider it veggie enough to be edible.

noooo I love it, what make? and what makes it not veggie?

I did make it once and it was delish but fresh herbs are expensive to buy.

parmesan or something innit?

Absurdum wrote: »
    parmesan or something innit?
    Parmesan is not in them all surely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I always thought it was? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Yeah I only discovered this about pesto last year. Generally if branded products aren't marked as suitable for vegetarian I stay away. The scala organic pesto is suitable for vegetarians though.

• Advertisement

I checked a few in tescos today and there was no parmesan :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Yeah, pesto is always assumed to be suitable for veggies in restaurants and stuff. As in, it's often lobbed into veggie sandwiches, wraps, salads and so on because most people just don't realise it's not veggie-friendly.

It's the rennet in parmesan (and a few other hard cheeses), which is extracted from animals stomachs. Quite gross really.
    I suppose it's loosely the same idea as eating sweets which have gelatine in them though, and I often find myself being pretty lax there (I worked in a candy shop over the Summer... so... like... that's too much temptation for anyone!)

Pesto is just blended basil, pine nuts, garlic, olive oil and parmesan, and I actually really love it... I make my own quite a bit, using either no cheese at all or a veggie-friendly one. All the same, if I was eating out somewhere and there was pesto in something I'd usually just eat it, although I have actually complained before that putting pesto into a vegetarian dish renders it not suitable for veggies. That one never goes down well.
    And I actually bought a few jars of it over the year, knowingly, because it's delicious and super cheap. I suppose it's where you draw a line in your own vegetarianism to an extent, really. It's not exactly the equivalent of tucking into a massive steak or anything!

I wouldnt be happy eating it myself if I knew there was parmesan in it, suppose nobody knows about the lidl ones? Would get them mostly. I always eat it out in crepes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

There isn't always parmesan, but I'm pretty sure that a lot of hard cheeses use rennet, so chances are it's not suitable unless it says so on the label. Not sure about the lidl one, but that's the one I'd often buy too...

Best to just do as fillefatale does and assume it's not vegetarian if there's no "Suitable for..." bit on the label.

ye will do, suppose it will stop me jumping to pasta and pesto as a lazy meal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I find Lidl are usually very good about labelling things vegetarian... if it's not labelled I usually stay away!

I plan on taking a trip in to Tesco today, I'll have a look through their pestos for their ingredients.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

hate to hear this about pesto, i love it on wraps and now it will be hard to know if its veggie etc so I cant have it out

electro is coming to dub soon, next week, veggie foods must be had!

hate to hear this about pesto, i love it on wraps and now it will be hard to know if its veggie etc so I cant have it out

electro is coming to dub soon, next week, veggie foods must be had!
    So I forgot to go to Tesco lol, had to go elsewhere and had no time >.< Will do it tomorrow :D

She is? Cool! Foods MUST be had...late afternoon foods, and we need to get that smegmar lad with us too, he's going back to Germania soon!

• Advertisement

cant you check tescos ingredients on their site? anwyays im too lazy to log in :P
    smegmar is still knocking about? thought he was gone back to germany long ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement