Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead 8800Ultra

Options
  • 01-07-2009 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Hey , I'm posting on behalf of a m8 of mine here. Basically his 8800ultra which he bought for something like 700 euros when they came out 2 years ago I think, just died on him (Artifacts even during the bios screen, so yeah the things dead)

Is he screwed? Or does he still have the option of 'RMAing' the card etc? Years ago I bought a 6800 GT from Komplett and after what I think was over a year of use pretty much the same thing happened to me, and Komplett soundly (although it took a few weeks) sent me a 6800 GS replacement.

So what do you guys think?

Notes: *He got it from Komplett too

* He never over clocked, and he has loads of fans in his case. So it didnt over heat.

* He wasn't even gaming when it happened and had not done so in a few days, he went to join me and a friend in a game of ArmA and everything went to hell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

ive an 8800gtx for sale if hes intrested only €75

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

you can RMA it alright. my friend had the same problem with his, got it fixed and returned in about 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Depends on which brand and warranty, some have only 1 yr warranty others can have more. Even out of warranty I'd say You'd still be within Your rights demanding a new one, I mean a €700 gpu dying within 2 yrs is a defect, is it not? Your friends contract is with Komplett though, don't let them fob You off by telling You to go to the manufacturer.

I recently repaired a PC for a customer, her Point of View 8800GTX died after 23½ months of a 24 month warranty. Same problem, artifacts on the screen and garbled text in full screen console applications. I told her to RMA it ASAP. Not sure how she got on though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Like his been said it can depend on the manufacturer. Some offer extended warranties - this is why prices differ so greatly on card models. Even if it's a standard 1 year job, you'd be within your rights to argue that it would be reasonable to expect a lifespan beyond two years for such a product, if its outside warranty. Especially if its under the 2 years, you'd have a strong point - though I doubt that, as even 2 years ago I don't recall the Ultra being quite 700 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,408 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

some cards actually have insane warranties. I believe it was either the 8800 or a 260 I was lookin at last year where the brand was offering a double-lifetime warranty; that is, lifetime for you, and lifetime for whoever you may sell it off to. Of course for 700 euro, I deeply suspect that must have come with a good warranty. who made it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Cheers for the replies all. Was talkin to him there and it actually cost 780euro , he bought the most expensive one he could. At the time he just really wanted to build the best pc money could buy lol so splashed out on everything. I doubt he'll do that again :p

Its a Point of View graphics card btw.

So I'll get him to sign up and post on the komplett section? Sounds like his chances are decent.

Cheers again lads!

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies all. Was talkin to him there and it actually cost 780euro , he bought the most expensive one he could. At the time he just really wanted to build the best pc money could buy lol so splashed out on everything. I doubt he'll do that again :p

Its a Point of View graphics card btw.

So I'll get him to sign up and post on the komplett section? Sounds like his chances are decent.

Cheers again lads!

Well as I said above, POV have a 24 month warranty so if Komplett don't entertain you then try POV directly.

Karsini wrote: »
    Well as I said above, POV have a 24 month warranty so if Komplett don't entertain you then try POV directly.

Sorry but I'm fairly sure thats wrong. If the item was bought in Komplett the contract exists between the buyer and komplett only.......although Komplett will undoubtedly try push it onto the manufacturer, like stores normally do. Don't accept to take it up with the manufacturer

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Sorry but I'm fairly sure thats wrong. If the item was bought in Komplett the contract exists between the buyer and komplett only.......although Komplett will undoubtedly try push it onto the manufacturer, like stores normally do. Don't accept to take it up with the manufacturer

I contacted POV and that's what they told me; they said they'd take it up if the retailer refused. I know that in the place where I work, if we try to send an item back to the wholesaler after 12 months we get it back saying "out of warranty." So we can't accept returns after the initial year.

• Advertisement

They (Komplett) never did for me and I had to return a few items to them over the years. I've had pretty good experiences with them alright. Although I never had to return anything that failed 2 years later though.

I'll post here what happens when my m8 tries to return it to lets yeas know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I suppose it depends on the length of the manufacturer warranty. They are pretty good guys over in the Komplett forum in fairness and if it is under warranty still I am sure they will do their best for him. I would be amazed if a 700Euro graphics card did not have a three year warranty on it.

In fairness to retailers most manufactures would demand an opportunity to inspect/repair the card before doing taking further action, If a retailer automatically sent a new card out to every RMA they recieved without at least attempting repair first they would soon be out of business. Not that I am under any illusions that both parties involved will try as hard as they can to pass the obligation on to the other if a replacement is required.

While it would be entirely reasonable for anyone to expect a card to last much longer than that. I am not sure that a card that has broken down two years later would be automatically be considered faulty under the terms of law here, either way that is not something I would like to have to argue over in court. :)

Well hopefully Komplett will sort it out, here's a copy of Your rights anyway

Well he posted on the forum and they're ignoring him, which I didn't expect.

http://my.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055612627

He's gonna try e-mailing them I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If it goes to Komplett first, they'll just package it off to POV, adding to the time it takes to get back to you.

I would personally go to POV directly.

just to update this yeah he e-mailed them awhile back and they approved it and the cards been sent to them (about 2 days ago now I think)

Advertisement