Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GALWAY TO BELFAST BY CAR?

• 01-07-2009 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Driving to belfast from galway on friday afternoon. is it quicker to go by motorway to dublin and on up or to go more direct route through Cavan?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

We'd normally go Roscommon, Longford, Monaghan, Portadown, Armagh, Belfast; takes about 4:15 from Galway city to the Belfast Seacat terminal.

You could go N6, M6, M50, M1 (with tolls on all three motorways), which would be a much better road until you hit the border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Fey! wrote: »
    You could go N6, M6, M50, M1 (with tolls on all three motorways), which would be a much better road until you hit the border.

And on some Friday evenings the traffic crossing the border is immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'd say the direct route. The motorway will have 3 tolls (M4, M50, M1). Plus motorway driving is mind numbingly boring. See the country on your travels, and happy driving :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Fey! wrote: »
    We'd normally go Roscommon, Longford, Monaghan, Portadown, Armagh, Belfast; takes about 4:15 from Galway city to the Belfast Seacat terminal.

I used to to this most weekends last year, definately the best and quickest route!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I was in a pub in England a few months ago and was chatting to my friends work mate who told how much he was looking forward to his trip to Ireland this summer.

"Where are you going?" I ask.

"Just a short break to Galway for 4 days" he replied.

Me.."Ahh Galway is brilliant, you'll have a great time. Are you flying into Galway or driving up from Shannon airport?"

Him...."Ooo no, we got great deal into Belfast so we're driving to Galway from there. I've checked it all out on the internet and it's only about an hour and a half drive"

I nearly choked on my feckin' pint :D

When I told him it would take nearer to 5 hours to drive from Belfast to Galway he turned bright red and had to endure cries of "HA HA HA...You w@nker" from the rest of his work mates.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i reckon for ease, use the motorway. At the end of the day if travelling cross country was easy it would just be the way ha ha.

but in all fairness travelling cross cointry with every little bottle neck town on a friday could add more time than google. might say.

the motorway would be handier, providing there is no accidents.

unless you are in a race or something i would take the motor way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭schoolbag2

id say go via sligo for one of the best driving roads in the country(sligo to enniskillan), very doable in 3hrs early in the morning but enniskillan is a pain in the arse during shop opening hours.

motorway via dublin is not a great idea as youll hit all the wrong areas at peak times(dublin fri afternoon, Newry Fri evening...)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 carlost

cheers folks

Advertisement