Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The rugby forum has gone to pot...

Options
  • 01-07-2009 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

....with trolls and others who insist on having an argument throughout a thread because they can't accept the opinions of other people.

Have not made many posts myself but that's what I think.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

This man speaks the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Stev_o wrote: »
    This man speaks the truth.

+ 1,000,000

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Suggestions?

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Suggestions?

DeV.

Honestly i have no idea, since the Lions series there has been alot of traffic in the forum and it's ended up looking like a soccer forum at times and a creche at worst. Alot of posters now are more interested in making digs at each other then discussing matters at hand. Now whether you's get one of the mods to address this growing influx of pettiness in the forum by addressing everyone and slapping a few wrist and tell them to cop on or possibly get a mod from boards to have a look at the forum for the next week and give you his/her thoughts on whats going on.

DeVore,

I suggested to Crash (rugby forum mod) to introduce a "requested entry" system, similar to what is used to access the soccer forum. He hasn't got back to me yet.

Stevo is right in saying that the problem has got worse since the Lions Tour. There are a lot of SA and Lions fans who are starting silly arguments.

Also, the issue of Ronan O' Gara (ROG) is a serious problem where people with vested interests in belitting him are beginning threads anytime ROG has a poor/average performance.

The forum is becoming more and more popular, therefore I think we need more moderators.

Thanks

Thomond

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

it's ended up looking like a soccer forum at times

Care to elaborate or is that just the token Feedback cheap shot at a forum completely unconnected to the topic at hand?

Some threads that show the problem that has developed.

1.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055608692

2.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055608255

3.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055605399&page=2

4. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055606083&page=3

There's more if you look around.

Xavi6 the soccer forum before you's put restrictions for entering it.

Apt examples.

It looks like I'm part of the problem sometimes. Sorry!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Amabokke

DeVore wrote: »
    Suggestions?

DeV.

Yes, some posters don't seem to want to discuss intellectual rugby but just to spat crap on the forum.

If posters can also use some backup when they disagree or tell other posters they are wrong it might improve too.

If the mods can also get in early and stop posters that posts rubbish instead of good rugby talk that will help.

This week 3/4 Ronan O'Gara forums have started up.

There will be more traffic because of the Lions tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I used to post there regurly enough but have stopped since this year's Heineken Cup.

I agree with Stev_O that it is increasingly resembling the soccer forum. Trolls and pettiness galore. Not a 100% sure how you can resolve these problems though. Stricter rules, quicker bannings and permission to post in the forum would be a start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

More mods perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Also, the issue of Ronan O' Gara (ROG) is a serious problem where people with vested interests in belitting him are beginning threads anytime ROG has a poor/average performance.

What do you mean "vested interests"? That's not the same thing as, say, Leinster fans having a dig at him if that's what you mean.

I can't think of any suggestions, other than just ban discussions of certain players. Unfortunately, the blinkered and stubborn responses about ROG (for example) are from both sides.

One thing that has been lost that has be restored immediately is the right to a opinion. Alot of posters have made up their mind what is exceptable to them and will crucify other posters if their opinions differs from theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

I think the problem is some posters take it very personally when one of their players gets criticised and turn into a provincial pissing contest. Threads about players shouldn't mention players from other teams unless relevant to the discussion i.e possible replacements. Period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Some observations.

I'd like to state from the outset the following.

I'm an impartial moderator on the forum.

I don't particularly follow the sport, and stepped in to mod the place when Crash was AFK.

@thomond2006 : Your PM was received, I have since forwarded it on to the other MOds. Unfortunately, Ruggie is away on holidays at the moment, so the idea can not be discussed at the present time. Ruggie is the Sport Cat Mod, so any changes will have to be OKd by him.

In general to all Rugby users, you all, as a group, seem very hesitant to use the Report Post feature. You complain on thread too much, and don't alert the mods to the problems. If you would do that, we could mod the place much more easily, and nip the problems in the bud, before they get out of hand or nasty.

I've locked threads today where people posted "IBTL" and didn't bother to report the posts that were bothering them.

So please.

Help us to help you.

Ruggie and Crash are not omnipresent, neither am I, and I generally only respond to reported posts.

eoin wrote: »
    What do you mean "vested interests"? That's not the same thing as, say, Leinster fans having a dig at him if that's what you mean.

I can't think of any suggestions, other than just ban discussions of certain players. Unfortunately, the blinkered and stubborn responses about ROG (for example) are from both sides.

The problem is some posters taking it as vested interests when a poster criticises a player from their province just because they are a supporter of a different province.

One thing that has been lost that has be restored immediately is the right to a opinion. Alot of posters have made up their mind what is exceptable to them and will crucify other posters if their opinions differs from theirs.

Give us an example Steve_O please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rt. Hon.

I have been reading the Rugby forum for about 18 months, even if I only signed up to this site this week. I will probably never post in Rugby, but would like to keep reading it, as would other people I know, who would never sign up here.

If you implement a system of applying for access, could you keep this to posting rights, and leave read-only access open to everyone?

Thanks

Off-topic, but is it normal to be logged out when I press Submit Reply?

One thing I've noticed, and yes, I'm sorry Xavi, but I'm going to draw a parallel to the Soccer Forum here. It's that people take criticism of players on their team FAR too personally.

It's childish, in the extreme, and leads to these pissing contests. Someone says Leinster Player X had a bad game, and suddenly rabid Leinster fans are all over him saying "You must be from Munster saying that" or "Yeah well Munster Player Y in the same position is worse".

FFS lads, learn to take a bit of criticism. Not everyone is out to get you. Or your team.

I'm an avid Soccer fan, and understand the passion and tribal nature of sport. But the Rugby Forum is beginning to resemble the Soccer Forum of four years ago. It's not as bad though. Yet.

I'd recommend a system like the Soccer system, before the Rugby Forum gets closed down.

Des wrote: »
    Some observations.

I'd like to state from the outset the following.

I'm an impartial moderator on the forum.

I don't particularly follow the sport, and stepped in to mod the place when Crash was AFK.

@thomond2006 : Your PM was received, I have since forwarded it on to the other MOds. Unfortunately, Ruggie is away on holidays at the moment, so the idea can not be discussed at the present time. Ruggie is the Sport Cat Mod, so any changes will have to be OKd by him.

In general to all Rugby users, you all, as a group, seem very hesitant to use the Report Post feature. You complain on thread too much, and don't alert the mods to the problems. If you would do that, we could mod the place much more easily, and nip the problems in the bud, before they get out of hand or nasty.

I've locked threads today where people posted "IBTL" and didn't bother to report the posts that were bothering them.

So please.

Help us to help you.

Ruggie and Crash are not omnipresent, neither am I, and I generally only respond to reported posts.

That seems to be part of the problem, more so than other issues. Maybe 2/3 instead of 1 full time moderators.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a good idea Des. That and at least a extra moderator is probably needed who isn't already overloaded like yourself Ruggie or Crash.

Amabokke wrote: »
    Give us an example Steve_O please.

Erm, the post you just put in the thread about the player with psychiatric issues.

"Maybe because they are French".

How does that help anyone?

The problem is some posters taking it as vested interests when a poster criticises a player from their province just because they are a supporter of a different province.

Yeah, that's what I meant to say. Someone with a "vested interest" would be Jonny Sexton logging on and slating O'Gara.

I don't know if the access system will make much difference. I don't think it's all, or even mostly, new users that are stirring the shìt or just taking it too personally. Though I've no experience of the soccer forum, so maybe it worked there.
    Des wrote:

Agree 100%

That seems to be part of the problem, more so than other issues. Maybe 2/3 instead of 1 full time moderators.

The fact that I don't follow the sport doesn't mean I can't moderate the forum.

I'm not a Vegetarian either, and I mod that forum just fine :)

Sounds like a good idea Des. That and at least a extra moderator is probably needed who isn't already overloaded like yourself Ruggie or Crash.

I would like to see [jackass] become a mod in fairness to him hes a great poster and never rises to the bait even when someone tries to drag him in.

I would like to see [jackass] become a mod in fairness to him hes a great poster and never rises to the bait even when someone tries to drag him in.

I'm sure he'd be good, but probably best to let the powers-that-be decide the best way to deal with the problem first, before nominating people.

And as Des said, if people reported the posts instead of responding in kind, that alone would probably help things.

Erm, the post you just put in the thread about the player with psychiatric issues.

"Maybe because they are French".

How does that help anyone?

Now see, you're making an assumption and twisting my words. Read the post again and you'll see I refer to the French league that there are lot of fights in it more so than other countries and I can back it up. I mentioned I saw on a site that he was in a fight with this teammates and I was asked by Oracle "how would the other players let the assault thing happen" where I pointed to the French fighting.

The fact that I don't follow the sport doesn't mean I can't moderate the forum.

I'm not a Vegetarian either, and I mod that forum just fine :)

No disrespect to you Des but you already twisted my words here when you thought my explanation is not helping anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lads, the soccer forum access request mechanism isn't designed to screen new users as such, the original intention was to make it harder for banned users to rereg and cause more problems.

Yes we look at a prospective new members posting history, bans/infractions earned etc, but it is hard to gauge whether somebody might be troublesome from their posts across boards (anything from PI to photography to satellite etc etc) and it is not fool proof.

The users of the forum have to take responsibility for helping to ensure it runs smoothly, that means reporting offending posts instead of responding to them. No amount of moderators will result in 24/7 cover unless you guys want to start paying the people who volunteer so that they will work a roster, and I don't see that happening any time soon :P

I'll also suggest you look at the SF use of the infraction system here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56561140&postcount=4

Cliff notes version:

Red card = 2 yellows.
    6 yellows picked up in one year = 6 month ban.

• Advertisement

Now see, you're making an assumption and twisting my words. Read the post again and you'll see I refer to the French league that there are lot of fights in it more so than other countries and I can back it up. I mentioned I saw on a site that he was in a fight with this teammates and I was asked by Oracle "how would the other players let the assault thing happen" where I pointed to the French fighting.

Did you explain that though? Or did you just say 'because they are french'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement