Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The rugby forum has gone to pot...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Des wrote: »
    I actually thought Crash was back tbh.

But that's neither here nor there.

The blame for people acting like children is not with the moderation or lack thereof, it's with the childish acting people who are posting on the forum.

Again, if people reported posts instead of posting "IBTL" in them, then this wouldn't even need addressing. See the locked thread on the first page of the Rugby forum for just one example

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055606892

I'd agree with you, I do think that forums need at least one active mod who has an interest in the topic, especially volatile forums like Rugby seems to have become.

I will re-state though, that the main problems as outlined in this Feedback thread, by the complainants, would go a long way to being solved if people would actively use the Report Post feature, instead of being childish.
    Des if there was a thanks button in FB I'd have thanked you!

My point wasn't very well made and perhaps a little blunt so apologies for that, but thanks for your patient and better thought out response.

I agree that we need to use the report post facility more, but I personally have often wondered if I am not being a little oversensitive by reporting posts slagging other players/teams/provinces etc. I guess the point we might all take is to report it anyway? That way mods can decide if there is action to be taken.

Certainly on the boards I moderate, I have to say, I do wish I had more users who would report posts because sometimes I don't see what other readers see, perhaps due to partiality, fatigue, no interest in the topic discussed or whatever, so when someone does point out an issue, it's easier to look at it from another point of view.

As suggested earlier, I do think that a period of no-nonsense modding will do the place the world of good. Sometimes it takes an infraction for someone to realise they're acting the muppet and cop on.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

lol123456 wrote: »
    There should be a zero tolerance policy on trolls like "Aidric" who persist in coming on to the forum to annoy other users.

From what I've read, he seems to really hate "thomond2006" and always criticizes his posts for no good reason. This sort of stuff should be gifted with a permanent ban in my opinion.

This spat isnt a one way thing by any means and thomond 2006 is no angel, although has changed his posting style slightly since he started posting.

I am a fairly regular user of the forum and would agree that the more regular (for regular read intelligent) users of the board have a duty now to report any stupid of inflammatory posts, something which I myself havent done.

I also agree that another mod is needed, but one without rugby allegiences, as no matter how impartial a poster thinks they are, theyres always that little nagging in the back of your head to defend your province, especially in the Munster and Leinster debate, im sure posters like Jackass will agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Lads, I'm not a Feedback Mod, but I don't really think that getting personal and actually naming people you have a grievance with is helping matters at all.

It's as if you are trying to influence the mods to crack down on certain people.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a forum-wide issue that needs addressing, not just particular specific posters.

wixfjord wrote: »
    I also agree that another mod is needed, but one without rugby allegiences

I'm already modding the forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I'm already modding the forum. :)

ah but you see they want someone who knows a lot about rugby, its rules, has played rugby to a reasonable level etc.......but does not actually support any rugby team!!!....:rolleyes:

should be easy heh?:rolleyes:

in relation to other things mentioned above I don't think we need to report "slagging" as such, banter is natural in sports after all.

I think reporting should be where we feel someone is trolling or simply looking for a reaction or indeed is making personal remarks and so on. It's up to the Mod to decide if the reported post needs action.

for the record I have no issue discussing ROG; once its actually a discussion about his rugby and not his personality or that he should be dropped simply because some people don't like him etc

I am thoroughly fed up with childish leinster and munster views of the blue or red tinted glasses type too; probably because I am an Ireland national supporter first and foremost while having connections to both leinster and munster rugby....and Connacht for good measure; as a result I like to think i can be rational and objective in my thinking on who should play for ireland regardless of where they are from or who they play for.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Riskymove wrote: »
    ah but you see they want someone who knows a lot about rugby, its rules, has played rugby to a reasonable level etc.......but does not actually support any rugby team!!!....:rolleyes:

should be easy heh?:rolleyes:

in relation to other things mentioned above I don't think we need to report "slagging" as such, banter is natural in sports after all.

I think reporting should be where we feel someone is trolling or simply looking for a reaction or indeed is making personal remarks and so on. It's up to the Mod to decide if the reported post needs action.

for the record I have no issue discussing ROG; once its actually a discussion about his rugby and not his personality or that he should be dropped simply because some people don't like him etc

I am thoroughly fed up with childish leinster and munster views of the blue or red tinted glasses type too; probably because I am an Ireland national supporter first and foremost while having connections to both leinster and munster rugby....and Connacht for good measure; as a result I like to think i can be rational and objective in my thinking on who should play for ireland regardless of where they are from or who they play for.

Re-read my post if that was directed at me. I see why someone was calling for the :rolleyes: smilie to done away with, its quite patronising.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

wixfjord wrote: »
    Re-read my post if that was directed at me. I see why someone was calling for the :rolleyes: smilie to done away with, its quite patronising.

that was me. really makes my blood boil...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Riskymove wrote: »
    ah but you see they want someone who knows a lot about rugby, its rules, has played rugby to a reasonable level etc.......but does not actually support any rugby team!!!....
    as a result I like to think i can be rational and objective in my thinking on who should play for ireland regardless of where they are from or who they play for.

So, is this another self nomination for mod then? There would be more mods than users if this keeps up.
    wixfjord wrote:
    I see why someone was calling for the smilie to done away with, its quite patronising.

Do what I do and adblock that stupid rolleyes icon. It makes for a much nicer boards.ie experience, and when it's not there you realise how pointless it is.

eoin wrote: »
    So, is this another self nomination for mod then?

No I did not mean that at all..I dont think any new mod should be any of the people getting involved in these issues
    Do what I do and adblock that stupid rolleyes icon. It makes for a much nicer boards.ie experience, and when it's not there you realise how pointless it is.

well, I get more people not getting a comment is supposed to be sarcastic/humorous than I do people annoyed with smilies

my comments were not directed at anybody in particular, mor a summary of the different suggestions which to me seem difficult to get in one person

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Amabokke wrote: »
    Few brownie points for you zippidy zip...

Take a look at my posts and threads. I'm passionate about rugby and have a general good knowledge about it. I'm unbiased and don't participate in the usual mud slinging threads like "Why do we need the Lions" or "Is Leinster really better than Munster". The problem with creating one BIG forum for a specific match is that there could be 50 replies and alot of people wouldn't bother reading through it, they'll jump to the last 5 and add their opinion based on that. And sometimes they accuse posters of something, which is completely not true because they haven't read through the rest of the pages.

I believe 2-3 threads per match is not a bad idea if rules and guidance are made clear from the start and an extra mod can help.

The reason why some posts are being pushed aside is because they're rubbish and nothing to do with other similar posts.

Relax bru, I wasn't having a pop at you, just using your analysis thread as an example of where I think there are too many threads on the same topic. I agree a couple of threads are ok, but some games are ridiculous for spawning threads, its as if some posters don't bother to look for an existing thread to post in and just start their own (laziness) or think they're the man for starting a thread (post count junkie sorta). Like when a test team is announced, its a race to start a thread with the team - why not post the team in the existing thread (or one of them!) about the team that will be picked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Message still hasn't set in for some posters it seems. Cheers Des though for trying to clamp down on stuff that's springing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

What an absolute disgrace so were not allowed to criticise any Munster players now? I wasn't aware boards.ie was owned by Munsterfans.com

I started a thread in which I said 4 players were overrated, 2 of them were Munster and the other two were Welsh and English respectively. The thread was instantly locked because two Munster supporters decided they would not allow a criticism of one of their players. Excellent discussion forum this is turning into

BOARDS.IE RUGBY FORUM, WHERE ONLY POSITIVE TALK OF ALL THINGS MUNSTER IS ALLOWED. USERS WHO CRITICISE OR DEBATE A MUNSTER PLAYERS ATTRIBUTES OR EVEN DARES QUESTION THE MIGHTY MUNSTER WILL BE DULY BANNED. THANK YOU.

It's not that we aren't allowing discussion of Munster players, why the hell would I have a problem with that? The only name I even recognised in your post was O'Gara.

It was because such threads are not going to be allowed to descent into a farce with multiple infractions and bannings.

You are banned for a week for starting this thread in the rugby forum straight after the original thread was locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

What an absolute disgrace so were not allowed to criticise any Munster players now? I wasn't aware boards.ie was owned by Munsterfans.com

I started a thread in which I said 4 players were overrated, 2 of them were Munster and the other two were Welsh and English respectively. The thread was instantly locked because two Munster supporters decided they would not allow a criticism of one of their players. Excellent discussion forum this is turning into

BOARDS.IE RUGBY FORUM, WHERE ONLY POSITIVE TALK OF ALL THINGS MUNSTER IS ALLOWED. USERS WHO CRITICISE OR DEBATE A MUNSTER PLAYERS ATTRIBUTES OR EVEN DARES QUESTION THE MIGHTY MUNSTER WILL BE DULY BANNED. THANK YOU.

Calm down for a start.

Now we can all agree that at the moment our forum can not for our lives have a proper discussion about the negative qualities of each provinces star player. So let's just give it a rest for a while till normality ensues.

What reaction would you think you'd have gotten if you had said BOD and say Shane Horgan are over-rated?

It's not that we aren't allowing discussion of Munster players, why the hell would I have a problem with that? The only name I even recognised in your post was O'Gara.

It was because such threads are not going to be allowed to descent into a farce with multiple infractions and bannings.

You are banned for a week for starting this thread in the rugby forum straight after the original thread was locked.

So why didn't you simply delete the IBTL comments and left the actual comments discussing the topic at hand in there? Why lock the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭tughfc

infairness he has a point just the criticism of a player no matter what nationality or team he is doesnt warrant a locking like i mean it is a rugby forum and its there for the discussion of how players rugby abilities are on the up or down and people are entitled to their own opinions!! it just so happens that a certain irish player(that will not be named) had a poor match on the weekend and surely this can be discussed to find peoples views on the matter!! if you don't like the thread don't comment on it or just smply ignore it!!

Stev_o wrote: »
    Calm down for a start.

Now we can all agree that at the moment our forum can not for our lives have a proper discussion about the negative qualities of each provinces star player. So let's just give it a rest for a while till normality ensues.

What reaction would you think you'd have gotten if you had said BOD and say Shane Horgan are over-rated?

I would of debated that claim like most people do on a rugby discussion forum not been a child about it and tried to get the thread closed because I didn't like someones opinion.

So why didn't you simply delete the IBTL comments and left the actual comments discussing the topic at hand in there? Why lock the thread?
    It was obvious where the thread was going.

It will be remaining locked.

Until we can get people commenting properly on threads, they will be locked. If people can't comment without resorting to calling each other trolls, well then, discussion will be restricted.

It was obvious where the thread was going.

It will be remaining locked.

Until we can get people commenting properly on threads, they will be locked. If people can't comment without resorting to calling each other trolls, well then, discussion will be restricted.

So essentially we are going to appease those who wan't to silence others opinions because its not to their liking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Opinions are all well and good once you don't force them down people throat

• Advertisement

So essentially we are going to appease those who wan't to silence others opinions because its not to their liking?
    Until I see normal discussion on topics, then topics that descend into crap will be locked.

That thread had already started a steep descent.

i'm just hoping this will all cool down after the lions tour is over and we can get back to what the rugby forum used to be!!

Until I see normal discussion on topics, then topics that descend into crap will be locked.

That thread had already started a steep descent.

Surely a better action would of been to ban Bleg for his comment and deleted it. There were 2 posts calling me a troll and 2 posts actually discussing the topic and raising valid points. Instead of helping the posters actually discussing the topic you went and helped those that didnt wan't the topic discussed by closing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

tughfc wrote: »
    i'm just hoping this will all cool down after the lions tour is over and we can get back to what the rugby forum used to be!!

Funnily enough i've always thought it was very prevalent, it has only been highlighted recently tho

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Surely a better action would of been to ban Bleg for his comment and deleted it. There were 2 posts calling me a troll and 2 posts actually discussing the topic and raising valid points. Instead of helping the posters actually discussing the topic you went and helped those that didnt wan't the topic discussed by closing it.

T'was an interesting topic, but as so often with the Rugby forum, it contained the seeds of its own destruction.

At the end of the day, the tribalism thing's not much worse than the likes of the football forum, it's merely that there's only two tribes represented. There's next to know Ulster fans in there, while the Connacht fans tend to be too depressed and heartbroken to take part in the provincial silliness.

In all honesty, the best thing for the forum would be another Irish team dominating. ;)

Also, and this is merely an opinion, make of it what you will;

Rugby as a sport has a bad reputation. Especially common is the 'West Brit' 'D4' 'Rich bástards' 'the recession's you lots fault' idea. Leinster in particular are the ultimate vision of this to a lot of people. As such, opinions about rugby often extend far beyond mere sporting rivalries. I mean, I support Manchester United, but I don't really hate Scousers or City fans. I mean, I don't like them, but how could I hate them? With the rugby forum, you've got people who despise what the other side stands for.

Recently with teh Lions to use an example, there've been people wandering in and asking why the rugby fans still think we're part of the UK, etc. Silly stuff tbh.

The other major problem is Ronan O'Gara. He's not the only problem player, but hte best example of one - he's a controversial player, and like the O'Driscoll debates that RF brought up, a lot of posters around here would love a proper debate, but it always descends into a slagging match. Usually because one person's overly sensitive. He's become the rugby forum's Cristiano Ronaldo, some people love him, some hate him, and because of the hysteria, debate's not happened, and opinions have in essence crystalised, made even stronger by the provincial bias.

There's definitely a need for the more regular posters to try and pull back from the extrems of rivalry as much as possible, at least until a healthier atmosphere prevails, because, in general, it's a good forum.

I don't think the topic itself is a problem, we should be free to discuss if a player is as good as his reputation...however..

given the discussion in the 10 pages of this thread I think your choice of thread title and the tone of your comments was always going to end badly..and even if they were a bit more carefully chosen it was probably inevitable, given the current atmosphere that some eejit would arrive and make trolling comments and ended in a lock anyway

another reason for a lock could be that there has been so much discussion about ROG and to a lesser extent the performance of the other Lions that starting another thread was unnecessary

but we have to look at it in other ways that threads were being made about other players such as bod,sexton,keatley in the past and they were discussed without any slagging or (trolling)!!

tughfc wrote: »
    but we have to look at it in other ways that threads were being made about other players such as bod,sexton,keatley in the past and they were discussed without any slagging or (trolling)!!

We have two options.

Ban all discussion of "controversial" players.

Or.

Lay the smack down until people can discuss the "controverial" players in the same way in which they discuss the "non-controversial" players.

but i have to say i enjoy reading other peoples discussions on other players it makes for an interesting read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

We have two options.

Ban all discussion of "controversial" players.

Or.

Lay the smack down until people can discuss the "controverial" players in the same way in which they discuss the "non-controversial" players.

I'd hate if there was no more discussion of controversial players and probably would stop posting, but it may be the only option.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement