Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The rugby forum has gone to pot...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Des wrote: »
    We have two options.

Ban all discussion of "controversial" players.

Or.

Lay the smack down until people can discuss the "controverial" players in the same way in which they discuss the "non-controversial" players.

Well option 1 is a no-go i would think. Option 2 seems a bit totalitarian but it looks like the only way. Then again you will always get the odd new poster who will come in and make a genuine case for their hatred of ROG without knowing the rules. I like the idea of making it so you HAVE to read the charter and the rules before making an application to enter the rugby forum like the soccer forum. It would go a long way to weeding out the people who simply make accounts and come onto the board to flame and troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'd hate if there was no more discussion of controversial players and probably would stop posting, but it may be the only option.
    chupacabra wrote: »
    Well option 1 is a no-go i would think.
    I think it's pretty ridiculous too, so won't be happening.

Which leaves Column B, unfortunately.
    Option 2 seems a bit totalitarian but it looks like the only way.

For the moment yes.

But as soon as people show a bit of cop on, it will be relaxed.
    Then again you will always get the odd new poster who will come in and make a genuine case for their hatred of ROG without knowing the rules. I like the idea of making it so you HAVE to read the charter and the rules before making an application to enter the rugby forum like the soccer forum. It would go a long way to weeding out the people who simply make accounts and come onto the board to flame and troll.

But you are always going to get oversensitive souls who can't accpet criticism of their team or favourite player in any shape or form (other forums of which I frequent are full of these types too, so it's not just Rugby, or Leinster/Munster). And start screaming "Troll, Troll". That, in my opinion, is the problem here. Therefore, from now on, people who back-seat mod, or call troll, will be banned.

We can't make people post reasons for their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭tughfc

you could just make one thread of munster v leinster and leave that as the only thread that these teams can be discussed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Then again you will always get the odd new poster who will come in and make a genuine case for their hatred of ROG without knowing the rules.

hatred?

there should be no issue with discussing a player, its about how you express yourself and the same standards should apply as in many other fora on this site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I post on the rugby forum a bit and read it a lot.

I think most of what needs to be done has already been covered. People need to avoid tit for tat posting and either walk away or report posts.

I don't believe any kind of entry system would help as the people who get in the long winded repetitive threads are mostly regulars anyway. Also most of the threads that get dragged off topic I do not believe are bannable.

As Des has said we all just need to grow up.

• Advertisement

Wonder of wonders, an O'Gara thread that has been open for an hour and a half and hasn't descended into mudslinging.

I think we may be getting somewhere lads. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

Wonder of wonders, an O'Gara thread that has been open for an hour and a half and hasn't descended into mudslinging.

I think we may be getting somewhere lads. :)

Early days yet Des - in the meantime, check the banned list :D and then we will be really sucking diesel (as we'd say down my neck of the woods).

Early days yet Des - in the meantime, check the banned list

what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

what?

Early days = give the thread a few more hours to run.

Check the banned list = are there any posters on the rugby naughty step at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I visit the rugby forum a lot less than I used to, in a similar way that I went from visiting the soccer forum regularly to rarely ever visiting it. Unfortunately, I don't really feel like reading through or replying to the postings of a lot of the anti-Munster/anti-Leinster mess that any heated discussion of Irish rugby seems degenerates into.

I think that the moderation doesn't have to be zero-tolerance but I do think that the bar needs to be raised a little in terms of what's acceptable. As pointed out by other posters above the rugby forum seems to have reached a situation where posters (myself included) don't report a lot of this junk and that's because it's visibly tolerated by the moderators as they've been online, reading the threads and posting occasionally themselves.

I'd also suggest that over the past 12 months a number of the more regular posters to the rugby forum, including some contributors to this thread, should have been warned and possibly banned for trolling and flaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Just started Lions 3rd Test Match thread, hopefully there'll be no problems.

Good man Des btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

As long as double standards exist in moderating the forum it will continue to go to pot...

Never seen so many yellow/red cards in one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The amount of seperate thread on what is essentially the same topic is now getting out of hand. There is a fantasy league thread and now we have a seperate one congratulating the winner. WTF?

Aidric wrote: »
    The amount of seperate thread on what is essentially the same topic is now getting out of hand. There is a fantasy league thread and now we have a seperate one congratulating the winner. WTF?

I notice you haven't clicked the Report Post button on this issue.

Why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Amabokke

I don't look or even enjoy the fantasy thread so it's not an issue of having more than 1 thread per topic.

I notice you haven't clicked the Report Post button on this issue.

Why not?

What does it matter whwn reported posts are ignored anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Des has done a good job so far from what i've seen. I prefer the mods you don't really notice anyway.

I usually just ignore the silly arguments in match threads.
    fullstop wrote: »
    What does it matter whwn reported posts are ignored anyway?
    And you know they're ignored....how?

Sherifu wrote: »
    Des has done a good job so far from what i've seen. I prefer the mods you don't really notice anyway.

I usually just ignore the silly arguments in match threads.

And you know they're ignored....how?

Because I've reported a post 3 times which has not been infracted for saying basically the same thing as I did and I got infracted for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

The debates and rivalary between Munster and Leinster fans which crop up in so many guises remind of the debates between Christians and Atheists in the Religion forums.

They are never ending and just go round and around in circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Because I've reported a post 3 times which has not been infracted for saying basically the same thing as I did and I got infracted for it.
    I think I know the post you are on about. I raised this issue with the mod in question and was told that the post would be infracted but it never was in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I think I know the post you are on about. I raised this issue with the mod in question and was told that the post would be infracted but it never was in the end.

Are you guys talking about the scum post or something else? A link would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Please report any posts that you find issue with, do not link them here.

The following posts have been dealt with and infractions awarded as necessary.

84370.png

If you think an infraction is wrong or unfair, please appeal it by PMing the awarding mod, or taking it to Help Desk if it is not resolved. We will remove infractions if we make a bad call. Do not debate it on thread as that may result in further infractions :)

Cheers.

Trojan wrote: »
    If you think an infraction is wrong or unfair, please appeal it by PMing the awarding mod, or taking it to Help Desk if it is not resolved. We will remove infractions if we make a bad call. Do not debate it on thread as that may result in further infractions :)

We've removed 3 infractions this morning on posts made before Rugby "zero tolerance" was enacted.

Personally I'd like to finish the zero tolerance moderation. To do that we need to be sure that it's clear to all users what kind of discussion we want to foster, and what we don't want.

We also now have a shortlist of potential moderators (thanks for your suggestions and to the volunteers). We'll be in touch with those in the next day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I enjoy the forum and my understanding of the game has grown because of it.

there has been great ideas here and I am sure this will improve things no end.
    the thing I would love to see is that all posters, think before you post, leave snide remarks in your head, if it's not a constructive post about the topic at hand, don't post it. It ruins the thread for everyone else.

BTW, I think the mods do a great job. A few of the posters are the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I got a warning for saying that "Eye goughing was the scumbag element of the sport and they should get a one year ban for it...who'd miss them?" or something to that affect.

I'm not sure too many would disagree to be honest, no one encourages it or likes to see it, and as Leo Cullen said, along with biting is the worst thing you can do on the field of any sport.

Maybe not so over the top with warnings? :) Ah no, I do understand it's for the good of the forum and Quinlans name was mentioned in the post, so may have been slighlty inflametory on reflection...wasn't intended that way anyway.

I'll try to use the report button more anyway, and maybe Ruggie or Trojan or Des or whoever throw out a "warning" thread to cool it? It's been a long season with lots of incident, maybe just a little message to cool things down and take a fresh look to the new season could help.

There's a lot of new posters too who throw out comments, maybe a "nip it in the bud approach" could be taken to send warnings to newer posters..not to victimise, but maybe just to make them aware of what is and isn't acceptable early on and also to help end the culture of cheap shots that's developed over the last while.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I got a warning for saying that "Eye goughing was the scumbag element of the sport and they should get a one year ban for it...who'd miss them?" or something to that affect.

I'm not sure too many would disagree to be honest, no one encourages it or likes to see it, and as Leo Cullen said, along with biting is the worst thing you can do on the field of any sport.

I don't disagree with the sentiment expressed in your post, it's a despicable part of the sport and needs to be stamped out (for want of a better phrase ;)).

If we weren't on zero tolerance that post most likely would have been let slide. Unfortunately it got pinged because we need to avoid double standards and we're infracting very similar posts elsewhere on the forum. Can't remember if that was a yellow (warning) rather than a red (infraction) but I think it should be the former, let me know if we got it wrong and I'll change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Trojan wrote: »
    I don't disagree with the sentiment expressed in your post, it's a despicable part of the sport and needs to be stamped out (for want of a better phrase ;)).

If we weren't on zero tolerance that post most likely would have been let slide. Unfortunately it got pinged because we need to avoid double standards and we're infracting very similar posts elsewhere on the forum. Can't remember if that was a yellow (warning) rather than a red (infraction) but I think it should be the former, let me know if we got it wrong and I'll change it.

Ah no it's cool, I totaly understand the logic behind it. Thanks though, as far as I know it was just a warning. Just being a moaney fecker! I seem to be doing a lot of that lately! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Right, finally finished reading over this thread and a decent amount of the forum (Apologies, i've been away on holidays the last week and swamped after finally finding a job - i'll deal with this later.) Overall, I'd actually like to apologise to most of the users of the forum - i've tried to implement a few ideas (such as the "no abuse to players" plan) but unfortunately real life has intruded at just the wrong time. I'm sorry.

1)I'd like to thank Des and Trojan, we were understaffed for what essentially ended up being one the most contentious weeks in irish rugby. Cheers. guys. As well, Des has been more than willing to take on when I was away last year, and it was greatly appreciated.

2)I'm of the opinion we need more mods, as Trojan said however we want to have a proper discussion about this, so will take a little bit of time. And tbh, I give it a week and a half and the forum will be 1/4 of its regular traffic - so I believe we have this time to consider and decide.

3)I refuse to ban anyone for an opinion. Perhaps this is a wrong decision, and having read this thread possibly it is. I'm possibly a lot more forgiving than others, in that there are at least 6 regular posters that, to be honest, inhibit conversation in their posting style, and their habit of tit for tat posting, that I would quite happily give a holiday away, but I find it very difficult to ban a poster simply for what they say. If someone hasn't been abusive, but is being somewhat obtrusive, they will get away with a warning - and thats been my policy. I will never EVER ban a poster for critisiscm of a player, unless its insulting or out of line.

4)I'm of the belief that some sort of balance needs to be struck - and part of this needs to involve the key posters on the forum. Basically, the entire place needs to become less precious about their chosen team - There are probably only about twenty or thirty really regular posters, and every one of those needs to be able to do one of two things:

a)Ignore slights about their team
    b)debate slights about their team

The above two are the most important thing IMO - and its whats caused a huge amount of the problems. We've probably been understaffed, and so things have been let fly (again, apologies) - but i'm still of the opinion that some of the guys who've been posting on the forum for a while should a)have the sense to let things go or b) debate the issue. and i'm of the opinion that this is where the future of the forum lies - I mean, I have a limited set of posters who I see as having a reasonably objective view, and that needs to be bigger. Or at least the subjective ones need to argue a bit harder ;)

Anyhow, I'm more than open, and more than willing to take a bit of critisicm on this, but having read the thread, i'd rather genuine constructive ideas on how we can improve, rather than STOP THE ROG THREADS (no offense).

I have no interest in limiting access to the forum, as some have suggested, simply because most times during the year, its not needed.

PS: please feel free to reply tl;dr.

• Advertisement

I'd say it's time to end the inquisition as the forum will be quiet till August tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement