Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National suicide survey

Options
  • 01-07-2009 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Has anyone done this yet, i remember completing this (national) survey in work a few weeks ago, and to say i was angry about it was an understatement, not one question out of the 50 or more so has got to do with homosexuality!

I mean i dont know what the percentage is for suicide in this country but i know for a fact a high percentage would consist of gay folks!

Who decides what questions go into these surveys and why are gay folk being ignored here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Starfox wrote: »
    Has anyone done this yet, i remember completing this (national) survey in work a few weeks ago, and to say i was angry about it was an understatement, not one question out of the 50 or more so has got to do with homosexuality!

I mean i dont know what the percentage is for suicide in this country but i know for a fact a high percentage would consist of gay folks!

Who decides what questions go into these surveys and why are gay folk being ignored here?
    Pardon my ignorance here, but what has been gay got to do with been suicidal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I think that's exactly what the OP would like to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Well..what was the survey..surveying?

Was it looking at context? Looking for correlations between circumstances and suicide?

If so I can see the relevance of questions covering sexuality.

But if, say, it was a survey purely about methodology or something else, it wouldn't be so relevant...the survey may have had a very narrow focus (?)

Without seeing the survey, it's hard to tell! I presume there were questions about context though if the absence of sexuality-related questions was notable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Maybe because a survey was done only a few weeks ago, which focused solely on LGBT people.

See this thread....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055585629

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

Pardon you, but Gay people are more likely to be suicidal and to have attempted suicide due to societal pressures, negative stereotyping and marginalisation. I think it is a very important part of any survey on suicide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Reflector wrote: »
    Pardon you, but Gay people are more likely to be suicidal and to have attempted suicide due to societal pressures, negative stereotyping and marginalisation. I think it is a very important part of any survey on suicide.
    If you don't ask you don't get the information :)

So this is more about marginalised members of society and their vulnerability than homosexuality itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

If you don't ask you don't get the information :)

So this is more about marginalised members of society and their vulnerability than homosexuality itself.

Absolutely right,

I don't think being gay is a reason to kill yourself but as with a lot of miorities suicide is a risk. I don't think suicide is about any one thing but there are many underlying causes all of which should be examined including homosexuality in an attempt to help people and reduce the startling figures in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Otaku Girl

Starfox wrote: »

I dare say whatever the suicide rate for gay folk is expect it to be twice as high for transexuals. Seriously if I just had to come out as bi-sexual it would be a walk in the park.Sure it can be hard but being gay,thankfully,is'nt that much of a big deal anymore.

Advertisement