Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Half Price Dunnes Laptop

2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Rsaeire wrote: »
    That is, if the laptop has easily accessible ram slots. A ram slot that is only accessible under the keyboard wouldn't exactly be classed as easily accessible and since this laptop supposedly has one underneath the laptop, which would be easily accessible, and another under the keyboard, which is not, then it will prove tricky for those who are not either aware of how to change the ram and/or do not feel confident in doing so.

Under the keyboard ram is a bit more fiddly but unlike what was suggested a 3-year degree in computer science isn't needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

basquille wrote: »
    Spot on sir..

The laptop is not clearly not meant for a heavy user out of the box.. but for casual usage, it'd be more than acceptable for browsing the web, using it for Office - especially using an anti-virus with low memory usage (e.g NOD 32).

Jeez I dunno. I still use my 1.2 Ghz Dell x300 with a 60Gb HD and 640mb ram.

It runs everything I need perfect. I will even run Photoshop CS should i want to.

What do people do these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

This is a fantastic deal and would suit over 90% of consumers needs!

I got my mom a laptop vsimilar to this and it's great! Does everything she could ever want it to and this for €275 is outstanding value for money....

Vista may on your systems appear to need a lot of ram but in fact vista(like firefox) only uses a lot of ram when there is a lot of ram available. For instance on my pc with 4g's of ram it uses 1.5g's on my moms laptop which has 1.5gigs of ram it only uses 700mbs!

You will not find better specs for that price! (guarantee it)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭karlyk1

Eh, discussing the merits and otherwise of this offer is pretty redundant, as it doesn't seem to exist anywhere! If anyone can tell us if they have actually SEEN this offer in the flesh anywhere (other than the OP's store) please tell us... So far it seems to be as elusive as the Loch Ness monster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

The fact it's a Fujitsu Siemens bothers me more than the spec. They're just not sturdy enough for the "casual" user. I've seen loads of these things in for repair. The plastic is weak, the power supply just gives up sometimes it just plain dies (system board).

I also saw a bunch of them get together on the repair bench and try to summon Satan when they thought no-one was looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭pjproby

its not available in The Mill Clondalkin anyway-specs or no specs-has anyone else seen them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I purchased a half price acer laptop last year in Dunes and i recall they were not on the shelf and i had to ask, staff then went tpo store and got me one.

They explained ot me that Dunnes dont show all their stock on shelves for security reasons and laptops are mainly behind in stores. I also noticed that time that staff vary in diffferent stores as some will be very helpfull and find the laptops where other staff may not give a toss and just say there are none because they just could not be bothered with the hassle of searching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Anyone other than the OP manage to get their hands on one of these ??

Even the OP didn't get his hands on one - I was just passing on the info of what I saw. As Top Dog mentioned, the box I saw was just a box - no stock available in the Mallow store, and still no confirmed reports of it available in other stores. Apologies if it turns out to be just one unit that was available in Mallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

What is the speed of the FSB?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Top Dog wrote: »
    Anyone want to hazard a guess as to how it would cope with running Outlook Express, IE, Firefox, Photoshop, notepad and an ftp program all at the same time?

Take Photoshop out of the list above, and its fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

RLJ wrote: »
    What is the speed of the FSB?

133*4 = 533Mhz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

smccarrick wrote: »
    133*4 = 533Mhz
    Thanks. How do you work out the speed of the FSB from the specs? where is the 133 you x by 4?

Specs;
    Display 15.4" WXGA BrilliantView
    Processor Intel Pentium Dual Core T2330 (1.6GHz)
    Memory 2x512MB RAM DDR2/667
    HDD 120GB SATA/5400rpm
    ODD Supermulti-format DVD burner

Hardware Configuration
    Graphics Intel Graphic Media Accelerator X3100 up to 245MB shared memopry
    Comm Modem 56k, LAN 10/100
    WLAN Liteon WN6302A-F4 LITEON LR V03
    ExpressCard 34/54, Cardreader 4 in 1
    VGA, 3xUSB2.0
    Mic/Line in, Headphone/SPDiF
    Audio 2 speakers, 7.1 sound via SPDiF

Advertisement