Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor insurance - a new approach?

• 01-07-2009 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

I am sure this has been done to the death before, but I can't help wondering if the whole business of motor insurance is unfair. All drivers are required by law to be insured, but they must all be so using private sector insurance companies. Meanwhile we are also required by law to pay VAT, VRT, RSI etc etc, and all of those must be paid to state departments. So why should driver insurance be any different?

It would, I imagine, be simple enough to establish a state driver insurance system similar to VHI, where a part of the annual motor tax is insurance, but instead of there being a flat rate, there could be a rate that was clear and transparent and which varied according to the driver's age and experience. New driver, high premium, reducing over the years as experience and freedom from accidents is gained. Have a blameworthy accident and you go back to square one (and run into the back of someone by tailgating and you get crucified:D).

I suppose the only problem with this is that it would be administered by the Civil Service, and so God knows what it would cost the taxpayer.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

But there'd be no compitition and they could make the premiums as high as they felt like then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

Privitisation is the only way to go in little countries like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ART6 wrote: »
    I am sure this has been done to the death before, but I can't help wondering if the whole business of motor insurance is unfair. All drivers are required by law to be insured, but they must all be so using private sector insurance companies. Meanwhile we are also required by law to pay VAT, VRT, RSI etc etc, and all of those must be paid to state departments. So why should driver insurance be any different?

It would, I imagine, be simple enough to establish a state driver insurance system similar to VHI, where a part of the annual motor tax is insurance, but instead of there being a flat rate, there could be a rate that was clear and transparent and which varied according to the driver's age and experience. New driver, high premium, reducing over the years as experience and freedom from accidents is gained. Have a blameworthy accident and you go back to square one (and run into the back of someone by tailgating and you get crucified:D).

I suppose the only problem with this is that it would be administered by the Civil Service, and so God knows what it would cost the taxpayer.:rolleyes:
    Is that not how it works now, except they also take into account where you live and what you drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

there could be a rate that was clear and transparent and which varied according to the driver's age and experience. New driver, high premium, reducing over the years as experience and freedom from accidents is gained. Have a blameworthy accident and you go back to square one (and run into the back of someone by tailgating and you get crucified).

How is that different and the better than the system we have at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Confab wrote: »
    How is that different and the better than the system we have at the moment?
    +1, it sounds like a more inefficient version of the current system to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

South Africa runs a government scheme for car insurance. They accept that nobody will pay it so they add a premium (tax) to petrol and diesel. That way, when you pay for your fuel you are insured. The more you drive, the more you pay.

That would be a nice system here and very fair. But....we first need to sort out the judges handing out millions for a sore arse and a bruise. Fixed amounts for given damage, ie 3000 for a broken arm. Then the system could be run without fear of escalating costs to cover claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The root of the problem is the fact that most other countries with low premiums have a no-fault policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Trampas

great it may sound but you can be certain premiums go up each year.

I know premiums are up this year but they had gone down over the last few.

When have VHI gone down?

The VHI just pay out and don't contest. My friend told them not to pay once but they just paid it cause it was easy.

The job losses would be huge.

Companies and brokers would be out of a job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Damien360 wrote: »
    South Africa runs a government scheme for car insurance. They accept that nobody will pay it so they add a premium (tax) to petrol and diesel. That way, when you pay for your fuel you are insured. The more you drive, the more you pay.

That would be a nice system here and very fair. But....we first need to sort out the judges handing out millions for a sore arse and a bruise. Fixed amounts for given damage, ie 3000 for a broken arm. Then the system could be run without fear of escalating costs to cover claims.

The South African scheme is only for third party, and it does not pay out for injuries. It does not even pay out to fix your car.
    It just means that you can go to a state hospital for free if you have been in a car crash :eek:.

It is only a way to try and get some money for the hospitals.

You still need private insurance if you want to fix your car. Although it is not a legal requirment.

People with decent cars get private insurance, as they will want to get their car repaired if some uninsured driver crashes into them.

Poeple with old, cheap cars do not get insurance.

BUT, in South Africa, car insurance only covers the car - it does not cover the driver, or any injuries the driver may sustain in a crash. The government insurance covers that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    But there'd be no compitition and they could make the premiums as high as they felt like then?

+1

Imagine if Tax would be like insurance now, and you could shop around! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Wasn't PMPA (now AXA) set up by the government?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

In Australia, "third party bodily" car insurance is included in your roadtax. ( rego) and is provided by a private company that tenders for the bussiness. If you want fully comprehensive insurance you can buy it from a private company, but it is not compulsory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

high horse wrote: »
    Wasn't PMPA (now AXA) set up by the government?
    No, it was a private company that went bankrupt and had to be bailed out by the government. It was later re-privitised.

Insurance costs could be made mre reasonable for most if we could find some way of accurately linking the premium to driver behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

It would, I imagine, be simple enough to establish a state driver insurance system similar to VHI

Much more likely to see a changeover to a healthcare system which relies on non-government insurance companies like the Netherlands than a car insurance system which relies on the public purse.

Advertisement