Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent/Deposit of house. Please help

Options
  • 01-07-2009 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi Guys,

My yearly lease was up on April 2nd, and I want to give my last months notice in August. I have not signed a new lease

Is there any law that says I can't use my deposit for last months rent?

The house is in better condition now(besides the carpet which is just yuck) than when I moved in, and there's no holes in the walls or anything.

Reason I ask is that the management company seem extremely disorganised and I don't want some flimsy excuse, or to be delayed in getting back my deposit.

I did this in the 3 different places I rented in the US, but wasn't sure of the norm here?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

deposits are for outstanding bills and damage beyond normal wear and tear. therfore you are obliged to pay rent for your last month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ascottdub

Bills are direct debit, so there won't be any outstanding. The house is in great condition beides the carpet.

You didn't answer my question. Legally, is there a law against it?

The management comapny are in la-la land and I can see problems arising.

The lease was up in April, and says nothing about this

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ascottdub wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

My yearly lease was up on April 2nd, and I want to give my last months notice in August. I have not signed a new lease

Is there any law that says I can't use my deposit for last months rent?

Unless the Owner/Agent are totally incompetant, there will be a clause in your lease to prohibit this.
    ascottdub wrote: »
    The house is in better condition now(besides the carpet which is just yuck) than when I moved in, and there's no holes in the walls or anything.

Reason I ask is that the management company seem extremely disorganised and I don't want some flimsy excuse, or to be delayed in getting back my deposit.

I did this in the 3 different places I rented in the US, but wasn't sure of the norm here?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

There's nothing in law to say you can or you can't. As the previous poster mentioned, there may be something in your lease saying you can't and you would have signed up to this. Even if you haven't you have no right to withold rent, any landlord would be foolish to allow a tenant to do this.

Advertisement